Thread: 2 Amps to A/B Switch into one cab

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 Amps to A/B Switch into one cab

I hope the title isn't too confusing. I have two Marshall amps in my music room and one 2/12 Avatar Cab. I am looking for a switch that I can control which amp is using the cab. It is a pain in the butt to keep switching from amp to amp. So what I would end up with, is each amp into the A/B switch then one lead into the cab. Both would be from the 16 ohm socket.
    That way I could just hit the switch. I was wondering if there was anything out here that does this job in a reasonably priced package. I saw one by Behringer but I was not sure if it would work for my application.
    Thanks in advance.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a Gear Page thread on that subject:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=607802

It mentions a few products that might work for you.

HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I hope the title isn't too confusing. I have two Marshall amps in my music room and one 2/12 Avatar Cab. I am looking for a switch that I can control which amp is using the cab. It is a pain in the butt to keep switching from amp to amp. So what I would end up with, is each amp into the A/B switch then one lead into the cab. Both would be from the 16 ohm socket.
    That way I could just hit the switch. I was wondering if there was anything out here that does this job in a reasonably priced package. I saw one by Behringer but I was not sure if it would work for my application.
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

No offence Tung but those things are 200 and 350 dollars respectively. I was looking at something in the under 50 dollar range. For 350 I will keep pulling plugs. LOL. I will have to take a closer look at the Behringer unit.
    It was under 30 dollars.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

If that's the standard Behringer AB100 box you're looking at, you'll fry it with speaker loads. I'd have a look at the hi-fi world. Speaker switchers are quite common but you might have to modify one a bit for 1/4" jacks.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

None taken.

The main thing is that when using tube amps, you have to have a load on the output at all times. Operating a tube amp without a load will eventually destroy the output transformer.

At the very least, you need to have a switcher that puts an appropriate load on an amp when it is switched out an not being used.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    No offence Tung but those things are 200 and 350 dollars respectively. I was looking at something in the under 50 dollar range. For 350 I will keep pulling plugs. LOL. I will have to take a closer look at the Behringer unit.
    It was under 30 dollars.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tung. I never really thought about the load thing. They do tell you that in the manual. One is SS and the other is Tube so I will have to be careful when switching the tube amp. It isn't that big of a deal I just thought it would be a nice addition.
    The Blues is alright!