Thread: Changing direction

Post Thanks / Like

Default Changing direction

With the closure of my last band, I've had a few weeks to think about what I want to do, and I have arrived at a decision. I'm going to dive into the blues and learn slide while I'm at it. I need a challenge to to continue growing as a player, and love the blues.

This will mean some extended time in the woodshed, but I'm up for it. It's time for a change.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on an excellent choice: the blues! Like they say, it takes a weekend to learn the blues, and a lifetime to master them. So you're in the for the long haul.

Who are your fave blues artists? Which direction are you headed in the blues?
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Yea inquiring minds want to know.........
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Jim Thackery fan.......................he's going to be my inspiration.

He has a an edge I really like.

Slide............................I'm just going to wing it until I get it right.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna start playing slide, eh? You know what this means. It's time for a Gibson Robot Les Paul so you can change tunings on the fly. JUST BUY IT!
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    Gonna start playing slide, eh? You know what this means. It's time for a Gibson Robot Les Paul so you can change tunings on the fly. JUST BUY IT!

No sir.........................I'm too old school and I'll do it myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool project Spanker...

Look at this guy lessons if you feel for it ...he is got it right..

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! Thanks, Blaze!

Post Thanks / Like

This is so cool that you've decided to do this. It's a great way to explore new territory. I've been wanting to myself but just never made the time. You may have just inspired me to finally do some exploring of my own.

Good luck on your journey Spanky.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Slide is next on my list to study, but first I have to get fingerstyle blues under my belt.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

That will absolutely help in this case..............
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Plank_Spanker]With the closure of my last band, I've had a few weeks to think about what I want to do, and I have arrived at a decision. I'm going to dive into the blues and learn slide while I'm at it. I need a challenge

AMEN! Plank,now your talkin' and Jimmy Thackery is one of my favs also,Check out an album he did with David Raitt ( Bonnie's brother) called

That's It. Sumi

Almost forgot Andy Aledort has a great DVD on slide and all his teaching is done from a blues base.
    Last edited by sumitomo; November 3rd, 2009 at 10:01 AM.
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    Slide............................I'm just going to wing it until I get it right.
    Slide is an ART unto itself. And to speed that process along, David Hamburger has a bunch of YouTube tutorials on how to get that fabulous tone. It's MOSTLY in the picking hand damping....much more needed than in fingerstyle blues.

Post Thanks / Like

Plank Spanker,

One of the best things you can do as a musician is try a new direction like this, and force yourself to grow, whether it's by learning slide, or some new style, etc. Music is one of those things where you have to keep it fresh to stay into it. Playing the same stuff all the time is kind of like having the same food everyday. After a while you just need a change of pace. If I don't find new things to work on every now and then, I get really bored of my playing.

Follow your gut. If learning slide is that new direction for you then follow it!
    I've tried to get some slide technique over the past year or so. I'm still a hack at it. It really helps if you quit using a pick and use your fingers instead. This was the major turning point for me. The other thing that helped me was using a glass slide instead of metal. Glass seems to have more or that Duane Alman sound that I like.

Good luck with the new direction. Make some recordings of your stuff!

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I've needed a challenge for quite a while now and I'm in no mood to launch another band playing the same old, same old. I've always paid lip service to learning slide, so now's a good time to make it happen. I also love the blues and have the perfect gear for it, so there is no excuse for me not to dig into it.

I just might cry on a few shoulders here as I go along................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython
    Slide is an ART unto itself. And to speed that process along, David Hamburger has a bunch of YouTube tutorials on how to get that fabulous tone. It's MOSTLY in the picking hand damping....much more needed than in fingerstyle blues.
    The finger style blues slide is what I intend to pursue. Thanks for the tutorial links!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of Jim Thackery. I checked out his MySpace and I like him a lot! Great choice for the style you want to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluesHowler
    I've never heard of Jim Thackery. I checked out his MySpace and I like him a lot! Great choice for the style you want to learn.
    Jim covers it all from old school to melt your face style electric blus. He's a killer musician.

Post Thanks / Like

He's playing the Little Bear Saloon in Evergreen Colorado November 15th!

One of my favorite music bars and I'll definitely be there. The song "Cool Guitars" is fricken awesome. I love the line "I'll sell the b!tches car and buy a cool guitar". I want to paint that on my guitar case.