Thread: John Barleycorn

Post Thanks / Like

Default John Barleycorn

my take of Traffic's version of an old English folk song....here is the link.... http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8298061

Post Thanks / Like

One of my all-time favorite songs, period. I've taught this to kids at school and they love to sing it. I've played a finger-picked version, but love what you're doing here - any chance you could let me know what chords you're playing?
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Dan. I'm not familiar with it like Ted is... but enjoyed it all the same
    Which guitar did you use for this, and sounds capo'd to me which sounds great!

Cheers,
    David
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1
    One of my all-time favorite songs, period. I've taught this to kids at school and they love to sing it. I've played a finger-picked version, but love what you're doing here - any chance you could let me know what chords you're playing?
    thanks for your kind words...
    there are a lot of versions of this song...this link takes you to a page with 2 versions on it..the way I play it is on the bottom of the page..they refer to traffic's version at the head of the tab...and a capo on the 7th fret..i put the capo on the 5th to play and sing easier.. thx again.....Dan....the link.....http://www.911tabs.com/link/?5047137

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Very nice Dan. I'm not familiar with it like Ted is... but enjoyed it all the same
    Which guitar did you use for this, and sounds capo'd to me which sounds great!

Cheers,
    David
    I played a Taylor Grand Symphony a GS-7, which is rosewood/cedar...Traffic's Stevie Winwood played the song capoed @7th fret..thats out of my range so I used a capo at the 5th fret..thx for listening I appeciate it...Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Dan! I won't be able to match your very nice playing there, but I look forward to trying my hand...

Ted
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

As an accomplished and award winning home brewer I've always loved the song just not for the music but for the lyrics also.

You did justice to the song. Great playing and singing!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job, Dan. Wish it was a little louder, but a very nuanced and cool treatment nonetheless. (I mean the recording volume.)
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Really enjoyed it, Dan. Nice work!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for listening!....Dan