Thread: Need opinions on Gibson Melody Maker Reissue

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need opinions on Gibson Melody Maker Reissue

I have the opportunity to pick up a reissue Melody Maker locally for about $250. It's one of the first reissues with the single P-90. I've only played the ones with the strat-like single coil. Does anyone have any experience with this model? I checked out the HC reviews but they are kind of worthless.
    Thanks.
    Patrick
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

No experience myself but at $250 I'd be all over that like white on rice.

Stick a Junior pickguard on it and you got a lightweight USA made Gibson Junior clone for cheap.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't own one but I have 5 Gibson guitars. They all play very well and I have a 1968 SG special with P90s and it always has been a great sounding guitar. If you can get a MIA Gibson guitar for 250, I would be all over it.
    Apparently Gibson has made some strides in reducing the p90 hum. Which is usually cancelled only in the middle position on a two pickup p90 guitar.
    I have heard some Youtube demos with it but the amps are usually pretty small in these demos. With a good tube amp you should get some great tones.
    I don't think you could buy the electronics for this guitar for 200 bucks.
    BTW they are selling for 499 on MF currently.
    Be aware that the wrap around tailpiece Can only adjust up or down. There are no individual saddles. My 69 Sg has this and funny enough it has the lowest buzzless action of any guitar I own. The top wrap is supposed to give more sustain, and a lot of guys do it with their normal LPs. IF you can I would make sure the action is good before you buy.
    Sounds like a deal to me.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I don't own one but I have 5 Gibson guitars. They all play very well and I have a 1968 SG special with P90s and it always has been a great sounding guitar. If you can get a MIA Gibson guitar for 250, I would be all over it.
    Apparently Gibson has made some strides in reducing the p90 hum. Which is usually cancelled only in the middle position on a two pickup p90 guitar.
    I have heard some Youtube demos with it but the amps are usually pretty small in these demos. With a good tube amp you should get some great tones.
    I don't think you could buy the electronics for this guitar for 200 bucks.
    BTW they are selling for 499 on MF currently.
    Be aware that the wrap around tailpiece Can only adjust up or down. There are no individual saddles. My 69 Sg has this and funny enough it has the lowest buzzless action of any guitar I own. The top wrap is supposed to give more sustain, and a lot of guys do it with their normal LPs. IF you can I would make sure the action is good before you buy.
    Sounds like a deal to me.
    Thanks for the reply. This is one of the earlier reissues (2003-4) and does not have the wrap around bridge. It has a TOM. I think I might pick it up just to keep my other guitars company.
    Patrick