Thread: Does anyone use a noise gate?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does anyone use a noise gate?

I'm experiencing lots of single coil hum when playing out, and it's starting to get to me. I turn down the guitar between numbers so I can't hear it. I'm wondering if I should get a noise gate and am looking at the Boss NS-2.

Any suggestions? Would it kill my tone, sustain, etc.? I'm liking the sound I'm getting and don't want to mess it up.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

I find the built in global noise gate comes in real handy on my M13 for just the reason you said. I play Strats and the venues don't always have decent wiring. Our lights can also cause some noise. So I do use it when needed. Otherwise I turn it down as much as possible.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Only the one on my Cube 60. Of all the guitars I've played strats are by far the noisiest.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to use a rackmount Rocktron HUSH III but since I swapped to EMG's I haven't needed one any more. Also an all-tube p-t-p amp helps with being quiet :-) I did also try one pedal gate, I forget which one it was though...but the HUSH was a good gate.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a NS-2 and it works pretty well! Plus it supplies power to other pedals. I go through phases of using it and not using it. I think I get good tones out of it along with my distro and overdrives, and even with my muff, but I have to be careful with the Muff, it will cut off that sweet sustain unnaturally sometimes if I don't watch how things are set up.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Exclamation M9 and M13 Updated

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I find the built in global noise gate comes in real handy on my M13 for just the reason you said.
    FYI, in case you don't already know:

M9 and M13 Updated
    Line 6 has released new software versions for the popular M9 and M13 stompbox-modeling multieffects pedalboards. (The software in currently shipping units should be current; for older units, Line6.com to ensure you have the latest software in your M9 or M13.)

The updates include a variety of new models:
    • Pattern Tremolo
    • Script Phaser
    • AC Flanger Bucket Brigade chip modeled
    • 80A Flanger Bucket Brigade chip modeled
    • Frequency Shifter Line 6 original
    • Bass Octaver
    • 5 EQs
    • 8 Wahs
    • Smart Harmony
    • Pitch Glide
    • Particle Verb - a Line 6 original!
    The M13 also gains the following features:
    • 4 folders of 12 scenes each (total of 48 scenes), accessible via MIDI
    • Copy from Scene to Scene
    • Control the Looper via MIDI without the M13 going into Looper mode
    • Dim OFF
    The M9 gains the following features:
    • Relative mode
    • Heel/toe pixels to show you where the expression pedal is
    • Sync to MIDI beat clock
    • Re-sync LFOs
    • 4 folders of 6 scenes each (total of 24 scenes), accessible via Midi
    • Control the Looper via MIDI without the M9 going into looper mode
    • Dim OFF
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Electro-Harmonix Hum-debugger to get the hum out of my single coil pickups..makes my strat and tele quiet as a church mouse!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

With EMGs and tube amps&true bypass Carl Martin swithboard for FX I get zero noise no matter how loud I play, except when I line up 2 OD's and a comp and delay for a crazy lead sound. But I used to use a Rocktron HUSHIII unit for years. Very hard to set so it works well with various levels of sound, and in any case it affected the sound...but it could be counter-effected with some EQ.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

ISP Decimator.

It's the cat's meow.....
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

When I play out I do get a bit of noise from my strat in single coil position. I have a boss ns2 but I dont use the noise gate, just the mute function. But to be honest, I don't use it much at all, if there is coil hum, it doesnt block that out whilst playing unless you have it turned way up and then it becomes a tone sucking remora. I am leaning towards selling it and investing in a kilswitch instead. But thats just my $.02, YRMV

Post Thanks / Like

First, being an old guy, I don't mind a wee bit of Hum. You can hear the 60 cycle hum on most of SRV's recordings.

But excessive hum is annoying. So, yes, use a Noise Gate.

Now, I love Fender guitars, but, they have traditionally sucked at shielding. 'Day shift' may shield everything, 'Night Shift' may shield nothing.

Next string change, pop up your pickguard. See if there is a metallic foil on the underside of the pickguard, usually either silvery, or copper. Also look in the pickup cavities, and any other routing.

A properly shielded guitar will have shielding in the cavities, on the backside of the pickguard, jack area cavity, basically any accessible routed area.

You can get self adhesive shielding online, at say Stewiemac, for cheap, all you need is an exacto knife or razor knife, and about 30 mins of patience.
    http://tubeworks.mortality.net - Tube Works / Mosvalve Fan Site

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the OP for this thread. Thanks for all the replies.

My main issue now is at home. It's an apartment in a 100-year-old house, and the wiring is brutal. Plus we have dimmer switches, air conditioners, etc. I think the only thing we don't have is a neon sign.

All my guitars are well-shielded. Sometimes it gets so obnoxious that I don't want to practice. I did get a Boss NS-2, which helps, though to my ears it kills the tone.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a good noise gate - the wife shouting "BE QUIET!" ....

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birv2
    I'm the OP for this thread. Thanks for all the replies.

My main issue now is at home. It's an apartment in a 100-year-old house, and the wiring is brutal. Plus we have dimmer switches, air conditioners, etc. I think the only thing we don't have is a neon sign.

All my guitars are well-shielded. Sometimes it gets so obnoxious that I don't want to practice. I did get a Boss NS-2, which helps, though to my ears it kills the tone.
    My home is newer but in my music room there's a ceiling fan with a rheostat, another rheostat on the wall for the fan, ditto for the next room which is only about 15' from where I play. In fact, almost every room in the house has dual rheostats for the ceiling fans and two rooms have rheostats as dimmer switches for the lighting. On or off, just the presence of all of these rheostats creates noise. One of the central A/C compressors is on the other side of the exterior wall of this room.

All of my guitars are thoroughly shielded, especially my Strats and P-90 equipped guitars. Yet the noise persisted...until I got the ISP Decimator. BTW, I will add that I run the Decimator off a BBE Supa Charger power supply that has isolated ports which eliminates another source of potential noise, the wall wart.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moander
    First, being an old guy, I don't mind a wee bit of Hum. You can hear the 60 cycle hum on most of SRV's recordings.

But excessive hum is annoying. So, yes, use a Noise Gate.

Now, I love Fender guitars, but, they have traditionally sucked at shielding. 'Day shift' may shield everything, 'Night Shift' may shield nothing.

Next string change, pop up your pickguard. See if there is a metallic foil on the underside of the pickguard, usually either silvery, or copper. Also look in the pickup cavities, and any other routing.

A properly shielded guitar will have shielding in the cavities, on the backside of the pickguard, jack area cavity, basically any accessible routed area.

You can get self adhesive shielding online, at say Stewiemac, for cheap, all you need is an exacto knife or razor knife, and about 30 mins of patience.

Great info a newbie/novice thanks
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I have a NS-2 and it works pretty well! Plus it supplies power to other pedals. I go through phases of using it and not using it. I think I get good tones out of it along with my distro and overdrives, and even with my muff, but I have to be careful with the Muff, it will cut off that sweet sustain unnaturally sometimes if I don't watch how things are set up.
    My set up has changed a bit since I posted this, and I still use the NS-2 sometimes, but only when I have too. I don't worry about a little hum, but if it gets excessive . . .
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson