Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Sleepless Night
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleepless Night

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sleepless Night

I woke up about 12:30 and heard a loud vehicle driving around near the house. We are near the end of our street which is a cul-de-sac and it's odd to have any activity that late at night. I got up, went downstairs and noticed the truck pulling up going real slow, turned their lights off and parked across the street in front of the one entrance to my driveway. It sat there for a while and I decided to call the police.

As I waited for the police, the truck moved further down the street, turned around in the cul-da-sac and then into the driveway across from me where it sat for a minute or two. The truck pulled away and I thought they were gone. As I was going to go back to bed, I caught a silhouette of someone outside walking on the edge of the road. I couldn't make out much (it is extremely dark where I live), but could tell they were dressed in dark clothes.

I started to call the police again (they still hadn't arrived) when suddenly the truck went racing down the street heading for the exit of our development. About 5 minutes later a car went by the house real slow, it was the police. I called the station again and asked if they found anyone, the answer was "no". The woman on the other end tried to make a joke of it, but I got pissed and said something like "If you assholes would move a little faster you may have caught the person" and hung up (do you hang up with a cell or is it "I pushed the disconnect button with authority"? If someone was murdered across the street, the police will have a lot of explaining to do.

I am giving serious consideration to buying a gun this week. My description of what took place does not really describe the activity that took place earlier this morning.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm not one of the hardcore pro-militia gun owners, but I do own guns you just described one of the reasons why. However, if you get a gun, make sure you learn how to use it properly and safely (I'm going under the assumption you aren't experienced with guns, which could be wrong).
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Washburn Idol 64 DL w/GFS Dream 180 pups
    Washburn X-33 w/GFS 60's-70's Grey Bottom Non Stagger Overwound
    Stagg G300 SG w/GFS Power Rails
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

That's some pretty scary stuff Strum. Whatever was going on, it wasn't good. We've had our cars broken into a few times, and it always makes you feel on edge for several weeks. I finally installed an outside light several years ago that seems to have solved the problem (knock on wood). The only problem is, it's so bright that airplanes keep trying to land on our front lawn.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad for you Strum ..

Try a motion detector light ,neighbor has one ,realy efficient or get one of these 2 guys...Please no gun..

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Try a motion detector light ,neighbor has one ,realy efficient or get one of these 2 guys...Please no gun..

I'm all for the motion light. Crooks hate light. The only problem I see with blaze's idea is that you gotta feed them and you end up with a yard full of poop and an occasional dead neighbor. Guns you never have to feed, take for a walk or clean up after.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Bad news, strummy. Glad nuthin happened!

Add another vote for motion-detector floodlights. When I was an electrician, I must have furnished/installed literally hundreds of those. They are a great deterent and energy-efficient in that they are only on when needed. The bad guys will run from them! (Hint: try to mount them as high-up as you can, preferrably out of reach of a person standing at ground-level, as a crook can, and will, easily break or unscrew the bulbs real quick-like.)
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

We have motion detector lights in the back of the house, flood lights at the two ends in the back (I turned them on as soon as I sensed something. I told my wife that from now on the front lights stay on.

We have a large Airedale that will start barking as soon as she senses someone coming in, and two smaller dogs that go off at the drop of a dime.

This person or persons stayed across the street and besides the sound of the truck (pick-up or SUV, to hard to tell because of it being so dark) the only thing I saw was the light of a cell phone.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Talk to any of your neighbors about that night?
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    Talk to any of your neighbors about that night?

Yep, from what was described, it sounds like they were breaking into cars.

I use motion activated lights, and the dogs (even though inside) take care of the rest!

A past survey of convicted B&E types showed that most would avoid any house with a dog, regardless of size. Our little dog is the first to alert to a noise that doesn't fit and barks, which brings to alert the 2 big dogs. When they bark (rare) it would make most intruders wet their britches!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig

I use motion activated lights, and the dogs (even though inside) take care of the rest!

A past survey of convicted B&E types showed that most would avoid any house with a dog, regardless of size. Our little dog is the first to alert to a noise that doesn't fit and barks, which brings to alert the 2 big dogs. When they bark (rare) it would make most intruders wet their britches!
    Yep, two things that bothers them, light and noise.

I used to have a nephew living with us and the bastid is a sneak thief. Taking off in my car while I sleep but gas gauges don't lie. I set up the coke bottles close to my door and one night, CLATTER! I'm outta my bed and on his ***.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig

Similiar set up here, but for us, two yappers (Rat Terriers) one located at night upstairs and one downstairs. Then in the utility room on the first floor is the Airedale and she has a real deep large bark.

Kite, regarding my neighbors, I haven't spoken to anyone, but my daughter said the kid across the street posted on Facebook that someone was in their yard.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, it sounds like you've got a pretty good first line of defense with the dogs and the lights. If the police are slow to respond you might consider a good handheld spotlight and a video camera to document the situation.
    Regarding buying a gun..........in a life-threatening situation, it's a deadly force last line of defense solution. I own several, and have used guns for hunting for over 40 years. However, unless everyone in the home is well acquainted with a firearm, it can become a slippery slope quickly if used to defend your home and family. A clear and present danger has to be established before the trigger is pulled, and after it is, there's no going back.
    It makes a huge difference depending the situation you're dealing with.
    Please think that through (although I imagine you have already) before making a decision.

I'll stop now before I get into a political discussion. I'm sure I'll get flamed from both sides, but using a gun for defense is a very serious matter, period.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you OG and the others. If I was the only one living here I would be more likely to get one. However, with three other people in the house, I am reluctant. We do have a 22 semi automatic rifle in the house, but I have never used the thing. a friend left it at my apartment when I was about 20 years old, sadly that is 35 years ago.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

That 22 is good enough. Holds plenty of shells. I used to have a ruger mark II 22 that look like a luger. Holds 10 in the clip and one in the breach.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,
    check with a local sportsmen club or for a Concealed Carry Weapons class and get a permit and learn how to protect your family. The time will come that many of us will at sometime have to defend your property. I have my permit and yes I do carry protection and know how to use it and when. In Kentucky if someone is putting you or your property at a point of danger you have the right to protect it.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, Strum......that is some scary stuff. Guns scare the crap out of me..........but.....there aren't any weopens that cover the large gap between a knife and a gun.......so I guess a gun is best if you perceive a REAL threat......as in a possible home invasion or car theft.

Tongue-firmly-in cheek here......if you hit one too many "bad" notes on your git-fiddle, IT might "buy the farm" via the gun.

Post Thanks / Like

a 22 is just going to get you hurt. If you want something for protection a 9mm or .45 is the smallest that you want. A .357 or .44 magnum are a little more serious.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    a 22 is just going to get you hurt.
    Only if you can't aim!
    -Kodiak
    Guitars:
    Washburn Idol 64 DL w/GFS Dream 180 pups
    Washburn X-33 w/GFS 60's-70's Grey Bottom Non Stagger Overwound
    Stagg G300 SG w/GFS Power Rails
    Art & Lutherie Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Big up for the motion sensor lights. Buying a gun for protection is a big deal. Do not take it lightly. If you do go that route, please take the necessary precautions. Have everyone in the house take a safety course. They are an absolute last defense and are not to be taken lightly. I won't go any further as to not let my political views offend other members of this great forum.
    Patrick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast