Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My Guitars

Thread: My Guitars

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Guitars

1st post - here are some of my guitars...

Left to right...

Collings 0001ASB

Collings 0002H

Collings 002H

Sobell Model 0

Ramirez 1a Concert

Here's one that came along a little later

Sobell MS Signature Mark II

Body

Back - Brazilian Rosewood

Side Shot - more Brazilian - note the green flash

Rosette Detail

Binding detail - Birdsfoot inlay

Headstock

Both Sobells, snug in their Carlton cases...

Ian

Post Thanks / Like

Some beautiful instruments you have there!

Please stop by our Fret Players forum and introduce yourself to the gang!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Wowie Zowie. A very handsome line up.

Welcome to the group.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice set of acoustics! You certainly favor the O shapes. Tell us more what you like about them if you have time. Which is your favorite? Which do you play the most? And welcome!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard Ian. You have some beautiful acoustics my friend! I'm envious of your braz.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

That's some serious wood! Welcome aboard Ian.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Nice set of acoustics! You certainly favor the O shapes. Tell us more what you like about them if you have time. Which is your favorite? Which do you play the most? And welcome!
    Thanks for the welcome. And here are a few words regarding the instruments.

Well, I didn't get all these at once. It's been a gradual thing. I've had the Ramirez classical, since the mid-eighties when I was playing a lot of classical stuff.

For a while I had a Martin 00028 but never really took to it. I think mainly because of the rather narrow nut width (1 11/16) which I found difficult to cope with.

I decided at some point to get a decent steel string acoustic and wound up getting the Collings 002H. This was not a new buy, the guitar was used. I liked it a lot though, which is why I still have it. Later I bought another Collings, a 0002H. I no longer have this, having recently sold it to a friend of mine who also happens to be the previous owner of my 002H. How weird is that ? I didn't know him when I bought the 002H from a shop in Brighton over here in the UK.

Next up came the Collings 0001A SB. The 'A' denotes an Adirondack top, the 'SB' a sunburst finish. The guitar has mahogany sides and back. Many think that Collings do one of the best sunbursts on the planet. The finish and appearance is magnificent. I bought this guitar off e-bay for an unbelievable buy it now price which I simply couldn't ignore. Thisn is my favorite of the two Collings I now have. It really is a great guitar and a fantastic example of the quintessential American flat top. I was really very lucky to get this guitar, especially at the price.

I am quite friendly with the great English guitar player, Martin Simpson. He sometimes stays here with us if gigging in the area. Martin loves this Colliings. Here's a picture of him playing it in our kitchen. It sounds even better when Martin plays it !

The two other guitars were made by the great English luthier Stefan Sobell. They are both completely hand built instruments made with the very finest tonewoods. Both my Sobells are made with best old growth (and legal) Brazilian Rosewood (sides and back), European Spruce for the sounding boards, 100 year old Cuban mahogany for the necks and best African ebony for the fingerboards and bridges. Unless you've had the pleasure of playing a Sobell, it's a little hard to describe them as they are really very different from your average flat top steel string. For a start they aren't really a flat top guitar. Stefan builds in some pronounced curvature to both the top and the back. The side shot of the MS model illustrates this somewhat. I have a Model 0 which I got used from someone I know. It was made back in 2003, is well played in and is a wonderful guitar. Although the smaller of the two it has a huge voice which normally takes people completely by surprise when they first hear it, the sound simply explodes from it. The other was built for me by Stefan and was finished in April this year. I'm still in the process of playing this one in but it already sounds really wonderful and improving all the time. For those of you who are not familiar with Stefan's work, I can assure you that it is right up there with the very best, Somogyi, Ryan, Traugott, Olson and the rest. He is a really great builder. He also makes Martin's guitars.

I play the Adirondack Collings and my two Sobells pretty much in equal measure. I am aware that I am extremely fortunate to have such an amazing choice when deciding which guitar to play next...

Ian
    Last edited by ianLP59; November 12th, 2009 at 06:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very impressive collection of acoustics they all looks very nice ! Can I ask you how much did cost your Sobell guitars they are really beautiful
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

I agree nice wood
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking acoustics, I keep going back to mine a lot these days but I still like my electrics.