Thread: Retubed my tonelab

Post Thanks / Like

Default Retubed my tonelab

I replaced the tube in my tonelab with a JJ gold pin 803s (long plate). I asked that it have both matched and balanced triodes. That is because I thought it couldn't hurt as the tonelab (like all valvereactors) use one triode for push and the other for pull when it models a class AB amp.

I'm quite happy with the change.

Post Thanks / Like

1) When did you buy a tonelab?
    2) How do you like it so far?
    3) Why did you retube?
    4) How quick did you delete the user presets (among the worst preset sounds I´ve heard).
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a tonelab back before I stopped posting. I got it so that I can practice without disturbing the other sentient beings in my house. I love it!

I have never even tried a preset. I learned that from my AD30VT. I usually just have it in manual mode.

I retubed because I think the tube was bad in it originally. In any case it sounds great now.

I am also using a radial dragster adjustable impedence load in front of both the Tonelab and the AD30VT.

The dragster acts a bit like a subtle tone knob allowing me to smooth out brittle highs or to emphasize the bite when needed.