Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
This is how I string my guitar - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is how I string my guitar

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely a fan of not over-wrapping the string around the post. Like some of the posters above, I believe it deadens some of your tone and makes the guitar more prone to go out of tune. Strung like that, with brand new strings, I can do a few gentle stretches of the strings and be good to go and not have to worry about going out of tune. I bend the daylights out of my strings. I use 10's and 11's depending on the guitar and my mood. My guitars stay in tune and I never break strings

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I find 2-3 laps around the post is about right. I don't like over-wrapping either.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

1 over 3 under is by far the best method. At least never put more coils there. You can get by with just 1,5 loops but it's more difficult to string, 1-3 method is super easy and quick and never loses the tune.

Tuners have to be really shitty to affect tuning stability...more like bad tuners make it very hard to GET it in tune but even the worst ones stay in tune well enough...just the getting there can be very hard.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

the joys of the EZ locking wilkinson is they are a pig to restring, the need for pliers to keep it neat with them is awful.i came across these on an esp i worked on around a year or so and that was a head scratcher to restring. i have both Locking and non locking tuners on my gig guitars and to be honest im more a fan of non locking a good technique is the key to it thats all you need.

Post Thanks / Like

These are the best I've ever bought.

They're Steinberger tuners.

_____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In retrospect, the best tuners by far are fine-tune tailpieces such as the Gibson TP-6 and those. On those guitars I hardly ever touch the actual tuners once the first tuning is done. Which reminds me I still need one for my Flying-V. They're the best!
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

2 of my guitars have the gotoh magnum lock tuners , there are so easy to use I'm not sure why people have trouble with them. tighten string and it locks as soon as it see's tension.. unwind to unlock.
    they are very reliable with zero slippage. I'm fine with non locking tuners as well
    it's just what those 2 guitars came with.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I would add, and I don't think anyone has mentioned it: instead of using wire snips to cut the leftover ends off, if you bend the string back and forth a bunch of times this will cause the string to eventually break right next to the hole in the tuning peg. This way you don't have to worry about pricking yourself when your hands are around the headstock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think I'll try that weekendclimber. I just worry I leave so little string there...might slip then. Will try.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

You do raise a good point. It's best used when doing the one-over-then-under stringing method (always done this ever since I got paid to string peoples guitars). The the string pinches the little bit left so there is no slippage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

1 Over 1 under is what I use. So it won't break too far in the hole? That sounds good, then! Thanks for the tip!
    Dee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12