Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
This is how I string my guitar
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is how I string my guitar

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This is how I string my guitar

I prefer locking tuners, but for a typical guitar with a hole through the tuning peg, this is my method -

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Good job Robert,the only thing I could add is to save that piece of E string to un clog your window squiters in your car or use it in your tattoo gun(homemade of course from a tape player motor).Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Good vid Roberto.

I'm 50/50 on that method. I use it on some guitars but not all and the ones that I switch back and forth on this method with I don't really notice a stability difference. Maybe it's because I have good tuners on those guitars?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

If you wind the string enough around the post (3 laps or more, with no slack in there anywhere), I imagine it should work perfectly well.

Good tuners sure help! The cheapos that come with these 1-200 dollar guitars are usually pretty sketchy. My MK is so-so in this regard. Could definitely be better.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Good tuners sure help! The cheapos that come with these 1-200 dollar guitars are usually pretty sketchy. My MK is so-so in this regard. Could definitely be better.
    Question about this: I know people complain about bad tuners a lot, and I have some on a $100 guitar that are not smooth at all, but how does this affect tuning stability?

What I thought was if the nut is bad it can pinch the strings, and string bends while playing would pull the slack string through the nut, right? There is a similar phenomenon with the slack around the tuning pegs, which is why locking tuners are good, yes?

My question is about tuners -- do the tuners themselves actually rotate while you play, causing the guitar to de-tune? Other than the things mentioned above (pinching nut, wound string slack being tightened), I can't think of anything else that would make tuners affect the tuning stability of a guitar.

If the tuners do rotate while playing, that's quite odd, and even more odd that the non-smooth tuners are the ones that are less stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly the method I use with all my non-locking tuner guitars.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Lincoln, UK. Probably at the V-Power pump. Again!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd add that the string should wind 'down' the tuning peg towards the headstock as you wind them on, not allowing the string to wind over itself. Finished article should be tidy and like a coil spring.

I use more coils (about 5) on the top e string and less on the botom E (about 2) and progressively in between across the headstock.

Cheerz

Mark H
    Translucent red Ibanez Artcore AFS75T archtop semi : Rotosound Roto Blues (10-52)
    Black/white Yamaha Pacifica 112V : Rotosound Roto Yellows (10-46)
    NEW - VOX Valvetronix VT30 with VFS5 foot-switches
    Crate V5 - 5 Watt valve amp voiced by 10" Jensen speaker
    KORG Pandora Toneworks PX4D effects gizmo
    Sensei called Johnny
    Oriental red sunburst Yamaha APX700 electro-acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

How I string my guitars with non lockers. Works good but I don't give 'em that much slack, just enough for the string to wind over the kink.

_____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well I finally re-strung my strat tonight. Looooonnnnnnggggg overdue. I used GHS Boomers, the Gilmour 10-48 set, that I have had laying around since I started thinking about changing my strings, like a year ago.

Robert, can you sticky this thread, as I always seem to need a reminder on how to re-string? Not the most spatially adept person. It is always good for me to measure thrice and cut twice, . . . or something like that.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    Good job Robert,the only thing I could add is to save that piece of E string to un clog your window squiters in your car or use it in your tattoo gun(homemade of course from a tape player motor).Sumi
    Sumi: You are starting to scare me. LOL
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

The BB King method - don't cut the string, wind the whole friggin thing onto the post!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a "1 over, 2 or 3 under" method, which I've never really had a problem with it.. although from what I understand, Gibson tuners are not really ever that great. I'm thinking about upgrading to some Grovers, but only if I can find irrefutable proof that their "Vintage" winders are any better.
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just did my Hagstrom too. First string change for me on that guitar. The trapeze bridge took a little getting used to, but was really quite easy after figuring it out on the first string. Did a nice polish and cleanse too while I was at it. Feels like new shoes!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Feels like new shoes!
    You are the only guy I know that walks on his guitar. Strange.

I really like Kiteman's way too. A few guitars I have that don't have the best tuners get that version of restringing.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I re-string very much like Robert with a couple small differrences.

1. Start with the hole in the peg at 90 degrees to the fretboard.
    2. With the non winding hand both hold the string in place at the nut AND maintain tension as you wind.
    3. Have a bit less winds on the low and high E's than on the D and G strings. Facilitates a downward pressure on the nut.
    4. Always work outside to inside. Start with the Low E, then the A and D. then high E, B and last the G. Just is easier for me.
    5. Finally give those strings several steady pulls, tune and repeat, tune and repeat to get the strings tight on the peg and all the stretch out of 'em.

Now the slot-head, that's a whole different mess involving blood and swearing.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

With all due respect to the many very knowledgeable people who have contributed here, I think I must disagree with most of you. I have tuned and strung my fair share of guitars over the years and here is my honest opinion:

1st and most important is that the machine head be strung properly. Even crappy tuners in my experience will hold a tune pretty well as long as this is done.

Given the first thing is done, obviously the quality of the tuner is important. I personally do not believe in locking tuners. The precision of the machining in the manufacture of the worm gear mechanism is what determines how well it will hold tune. It doesn't matter if your tuner locks the string in the capstan (as most locking tuners do, pinching it in the hole), if the capstan moves because there is lash in the gear mechanism behind it. If properly strung, the string will kink at the point it passes through the capstan (the hole in the peg for the string) locking it in place. It will not slip at that point. Then I suggest no more than two coils of string around the capstan. More coils just gives more string to stretch and slip, and tuning feels more direct with less coils. Tying the various knots I see people make has the same effect, or depending on the knot, causes the string to pass through the hole at a funny angle so it doesn't really make a sharp kink towards where it coils down the capstan. That kink effectively locks the string in place there, especially once there is a coil of string below pushing against it.

Here's how I string my heads:

My guitar never goes out of tune for no reason. Also, all these other methods take more time, which as I get older, I appreciate the value of more and more.

I strongly recommend Schaller sealed full oil bath machine heads. Made in Germany to very exacting tolerances. Finest money can buy. And you will pay for them. Their gold plated machines are particularly nice, hand polished. I love the set I bought for my dreadnaught. They weight 45.6 grams each with the screw (that's heavy), and they are beatiful. This will immediately also have the effect of improving your sustain, as it effectively weights the headstock.
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Amp: Marshall TSL100 amp head with JCM900 1960 Lead 4 X 12 angled cab

Effects: Crybaby, TS10 Tube Screamer, Badder Bad Monkey, Boss Metal Zone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mainestratman
    I use a "1 over, 2 or 3 under" method, which I've never really had a problem with it.. although from what I understand, Gibson tuners are not really ever that great. I'm thinking about upgrading to some Grovers, but only if I can find irrefutable proof that their "Vintage" winders are any better.
    This is the method I've always used - 1 over, 3 under.

In reality, there's probably several effective methods. What works for you is what's best...
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

You must put as much of the string as possible on non locking tuners, in a nice even wind with no overlapping. On strats I use a lube on all string contact spots & all metal to metal contacts on the bridge assembly. I break a lot of strings at the bridge so I feed the broken string back thru the bridge and tie the end back on, sometime this makes it difficult to get the ends out of the string holes in the block when I want to restring the guitar so I use a short piece of bass string to push the old end out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stringtreat
    You must put as much of the string as possible on non locking tuners, in a nice even wind with no overlapping. On strats I use a lube on all string contact spots & all metal to metal contacts on the bridge assembly. I break a lot of strings at the bridge so I feed the broken string back thru the bridge and tie the end back on, sometime this makes it difficult to get the ends out of the string holes in the block when I want to restring the guitar so I use a short piece of bass string to push the old end out.
    You're kidding, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast