Thread: I want a new head

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I want a new head

I am happy with my 2x12 cab, but you know I need a head to go with it (smarter brain would be good too!) - what do you guys think, should I get the Valve JR? I don't know where to get it here in Canada. MF used to ship to Canada but they seem to have changed their mind on that one. I haven't seen a music store here with the head version, only combos.

Or I guess I could save up more and get some other cool amp head. Hmm... I think I'm just trying to keep the G.A.S under control (futile attempt, I know).
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,
    I don't know how high you want to go in terms of wattage and price, but the Peavey Classic 30 head might be a pretty cool purchase, or a used Line 6 Duoverb head(100 watts and screaming loud).

Both have excellent tones, and both take pedals very well. The only thing about the Duoverb though is how it will sound through different speakers other than Line 6. The Duoverb does have a master volume, so it can go pretty low without losing any tone.

Of course, there's always the AD100VT head too.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I didn't know there was a Peavey Classic head, that might be cool.

Never heard of the Duoverb, but I am scared of Line 6 amps.

I want low a wattage tube amp head. Below 30 watts if possible.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Classic head...30 watts of face smiling tone. Tweed lookin' too. Your cabinet will be grateful.

Post Thanks / Like

I called Avenue Guitars in Edmonton and they do carry the Valve Jr head. Of course, they were sold out... but they have more coming in, so I'm getting myself one of these! Some time. Soon. Hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Classic head...30 watts of face smiling tone. Tweed lookin' too. Your cabinet will be grateful.
    Agreed. If I were getting a head right now, the Classic 30 would definitely be the top choice. Did you see too that Peavey is going to release those in Black Tolex too? The Classic series will have an option where you can get them in Black tolex with a silver grille cloth. Sort of Fenderish, but kind of cool. They debuted at Summer NAMM.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of the Duoverb, but I am scared of Line 6 amps.
    The Duoverb was discontinued, and that's a shame. It was a no frills modeler.
    No built in effects, and probably their best sounding amp other than the Vetta.
    It didn't take off very well primarily because it didn't have all the bells and whistles of the other Line 6 amps. It was pretty cool, you could combine two models of amps at once (like you can on the Vetta) and split them in stereo.

If the Duoverb wasn't so darn loud, I would still have mine, but it was just too much amp for the house. If I were gigging, it would have been perfect. The amp models sounded excellent.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, I don't think you will be disappointed with the VJ head. I played on the combo a little while back, and was floored at how good the amph sounded! Epi did something right with these amphs, and at a fair price, too, IMHO.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, what kind of amp are you looking for? Also, what is the price limit you are going for? (there is always a price limit, unfortunately...)

Post Thanks / Like

abraxas, I'm looking for a good sound EL34 or EL84 amp. Something more Marshally sounding than Fender sounding. Price limit? Well, maybe $600-$700, not sure. I can wait and save if it's good one.

The Valve JR seems too cool to ignore though.

Post Thanks / Like

There is always the Peavey Windsor and the Valveking heads but those are both over 100w . Ofcourse there is the Epi So Cal 50/25w head and ofcourse the Crate V30H 30w head packing four el84's and three 12ax7 tubes, but I can't say how good Crates are, the VJ seems like the best choise for $100 and it will probably sound better then the combo with better speakers plus the 4/8/16 ohm outputs.

Post Thanks / Like

As good as oldguy's VJ head sounded with his Avatar cab I'd snag one of those and still get another head if I were you.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Robert

Have you looked into the Sovtek MIG amp heads? They are a small foot print all tube 50 watt head. I've seen them and heard good things about them. I don't know if they are in production any more though.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...ek/Mig+50/10/1

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Never even seen one of those Spud. Cool, thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Hey Robert

Have you looked into the Sovtek MIG amp heads? They are a small foot print all tube 50 watt head. I've seen them and heard good things about them. I don't know if they are in production any more though.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...ek/Mig+50/10/1
    Yes, the Sovteks are out of production.

Robert....I'm still recommending the Peavey Classic 30 Head

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I am happy with my 2x12 cab, but you know I need a head to go with it (smarter brain would be good too!) - what do you guys think, should I get the Valve JR? I don't know where to get it here in Canada. MF used to ship to Canada but they seem to have changed their mind on that one. I haven't seen a music store here with the head version, only combos.

Or I guess I could save up more and get some other cool amp head. Hmm... I think I'm just trying to keep the G.A.S under control (futile attempt, I know).
    Robert,

Since your AD50VT sounds good with your cab, have you thought about getting either an AD100VT head or an AD120VTX head?? The AD100VT head sounds very good and I almost bought that instead of the combo. Can't beat the price on it either.

Another thought...if anyone still has them how about the AD60VTX head? I think they were discontinued, but someone may still have a few in stock.