Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Need Help Identifying a Luthier

Thread: Need Help Identifying a Luthier

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Help Identifying a Luthier

I need help identifying a luthier this guitar I have is made from African Mahogany and Ebony with a carved Maple top. The Inlay work is made from Mother of Pearl and Blue Abalone. All the electronics are 100% American and it's fitted out with Gibson Humbucking pickups. A 490 in the neck position and a 498 in the bridge. I have a set of Top of the Line Gotoh tuners on her too. there is a signature under the gibson pickup maybe someone will recognize the name. let me know thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I have no idea who that is but that's quite the inlay. Where did you come across this?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I bought it about 12 years ago from a good friend of mine. he lives about an hour away from pittsburgh.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you.. the guitar looks so much better in person then in the pictures. The body style is almost like a les paul. This guitar weighs a ton. It weighs more than any les paul out there. It also plays so amazing and smooth

Post Thanks / Like

I met a guy in Montana a couple of months ago that had several guitars that had similar inlay work. All of his guitars were made by a Luthier in Thailand.

When I got back home I tried to Google the Luthier but did not come up with anything. All I remember is the Luthier's name was Sam followed by a Thai last name.

The guitars were very awesome and played very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Well if it's Thailand (not a bad guess) it could be Rinton Music. They've been making guitars since the 60's and do plenty of inlay on bodies which is kind of unusual. They make guitars under the Atlas name. Oh, and they have been described as "heavy". Here's an example, with body inlay, from their site:

http://www.guitarandpickup.com/index...&event_id=8438

Post Thanks / Like

Are you looking for the luthier or the inlay artist?

The headstock shape is exactly like my Bradley LP. So it could be a Japanese clone that someone did some wonderful inlay work on. I remember seeing some guitars on ebay with inlay work very similar to yours.

Sweet!
    -- Joe --
    Guitars:
    Gibson: '08 Longhorn DC HS
    Martin: '09 OM-1
    Ovation: '07 Elite-T 1868T; '95 Celebrity Deluxe CC257; '95 Balladeer 1751 12-string
    Fender: '91 Stratocaster Plus; '69 Mustang Competition; '08 Squier Telecaster CV50
    Other: '77 Bradley Les Paul Custom; '03 Michael Kelly Patriot Q
    Bass: '08 Dean EABC
    Effects:
    MXR Dyna Comp; Dunlop Crybaby; DOD TR3R; Ibanez MT10; Rockman Soloist
    Amps:
    Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr.; Peavey Studio Pro 110; Tascam MP-GT1