Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
LP Studio V.S. LP Standard
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LP Studio V.S. LP Standard

Post Thanks / Like

Default LP Studio V.S. LP Standard

I have a chance to get a used LP Studio and hard shell case for $800.00 US have not seen yet nor am i sure of the year.

Anyway I told a friend of mine and he said,"Get a standard or whats the point of having an LP"

So, you Gibson players and fans. Whats your own opinions on the pros and cons of either the studio or the standard.

Do tell!!!!

Beat Regards,
    Maxi........................................: dude

OK here is the skinny its a cherry red classic LP he said it was a 72 or a 92 drawing a blank on the year he said, I had it all wrong.
    Still have not seen it yet.
    Last edited by MAXIFUNK; November 20th, 2009 at 05:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What does your friend play? Why is he so set on a Standard? Why not a Custom or an R series? Play it. If you like it you should think about buying it. I think you could find a used Studio for cheaper than that. If it's in good condition it might be worth it. Buy something you like. That's the most important point.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

An LP is an LP. Be more concenrned about whether you like the pickups, sound, and playability, than whether it has neck or body binding.

I have a Les Paul Studio Doublecut, and a Les Paul Classic. They're both great guitars, though neither one is a Standard.

No offense, but your friend is being a snob.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Studio, and a Standard and a Classic. We are not talking apples and oranges. There are several types of Studio. The later ones are chambered. The usual pickup set for a Studio is the 490 498. A lot of standards have the same pickups depending on year. 800 is an average price for a studio. I purchased a 96 Standard for 1400 Can. I also purchased a 2008 Studio for 1099. My classic gold top was 1900.
    The studio depending on the year would have a 50s style neck. The Standard could range anywhere from a 60s to a 50s also depending on year.
    Full binding on the Standard to no binding on the Studio. Usually the same electronics, and the same hardware.
    In 1980 Gibson did some funky things with the studio. Sales were down and they took Standards and painted over the bindings and sold them as Studios, they were an extremely great buy. Some of the earlier Studios had ebony fret boards.
    Without knowing the year and type of Studio it would be hard to say.
    Let us have more specs on her and we can probably steer you right.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I own two Studios and one Standard - they are all equally nice guitars.

The bottom line for you, maxi, is going be if you like the guitar - plays good, sounds good, feels good, looks good, etc. If you're happy with the Studio, life is good.

Your friend is sniffing corks.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

So, related question: is there any point to a binding other than it looking cool? I've read they're purely decorative in electrics, yet you still find them quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    So, related question: is there any point to a binding other than it looking cool? I've read they're purely decorative in electrics, yet you still find them quite a bit.
    Pretty much decorative. Sometimes the fingerboard binding covers the end of the frets. Some people feel a difference.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Binding just hides the joins nicely on acoustics so you don't see the end grain of the top and back. Use on electrics just seems to be Gibson house style from the hollow body electric days where it served the same purpose.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

The binding is eye candy, but I do love the feel of a bound neck. Good until first refret.......................
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker

The bottom line for you, maxi, is going be if you like the guitar - plays good, sounds good, feels good, looks good, etc. If you're happy with the Studio, life is good.

What did you say he was sniffing again? LMAO
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    What did you say he was sniffing again? LMAO
    Sometimes I just feel the need to call 'em as I see 'em.................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker

LMAO @ CORK SNIFFER!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Maxi: I just noticed your update on the original post. That changes everything. The Classic started in 1990, as a reissue of the 1960 Les Paul. They were similar to the historics of today. They listed at over 4000 dollars originally and were actually more expensive than the Standard. They had open coil ceramic humbuckers and are a very collectible guitar. By 92 they had some very flamey tops on them. They even came out with a Premium plus edition. If it is a 92 Classic and is in any reasonable condition I would be all over it. I missed out on a 96 premium plus because of lack of knowledge about them, so I did some homework.
    Losing this guitar also taught me a lesson.
    I asked a question about the guitar on the Les Paul forum. One of the members noticed where I lived and asked a couple of questions about the location. At the time I didn't know this guy lived 10 miles from the dealer.
    He went and scooped it that day before I could get there. Then bragged about it on the forum.
    If you can snag it for 800, they are worth in the 1500 to 2000 range all day long.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to weigh in on an actual opinion instead of just a sarcastic comment :-)

I make frequent trips to Guitar Center to play the typically snobby guitars....and to date my favorite is still the $799 Gibson Les Paul Mahogany. It is a Studio with no frills what so ever but has that dark raw Les Paul sound that IS classic rock. NO BS no flamed maple tops no binding just real Gibson sounding PAF love.

When I picked up my Parkwood acoustic a couple of years back there was a used one there for $549....have kicked myself in the tail every day since then for not snagging it. You will do the same if you pass this one up. $800 bucks....we have all spent that on various guitars, amps, pedals etc.....just tone chasing.....get it....love it....enjoy it. Thank me later.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Kazz: The latest edition of those Mahogany Les Pauls have the Burstbuckers in them. No wonder you like the tone. They are actually a very nice guitar as well. The only experience I have with them is with the SG Mahogany model. That had the open coil 490 498 combo and was an exceptional sounding and playing guitar as well. I have seen some of the mahogany ones polised up, or coated with a couple of coats of clear poly and they look great.
    There are a lot of variables out there for sure.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Maxi what was the outcome on the guitar? We are all waiting breathlessly
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Hey Maxi what was the outcome on the guitar? We are all waiting breathlessly
    OPPS, my bad Zman. The owner of the Guitar is my V.P. he has a 59 reissue which he said was #1 now. He Gave us the week off for all of our hard work over the past few months. Well, anyway I'll get to see the LP next week when I am back in the office. I'll update everyone once i have seen it.

Maxi............................

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast