Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NGD at last

Thread: NGD at last

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD at last

Well, it seems the first Epi Paul I got was a bit of dud with some fret issues.

But, here's my newest electric guitar along with my "black" collection.

I'm really digging playing leads on the neck pickup. I've never tried that much before and it sounds sweet.
    Last edited by NWBasser; November 19th, 2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: trying to insert image

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats man. Looks great.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks nice! Congrats on the new axe!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Did I miss something? You said your first Epi had some fret issues. Is this one a replacement. The black looks cool. Have you thought about a black pickguard. It would look killer, all black.
    The stock Epi pickups are pretty close to the Gibbys. They run about the same readings as the 490 498 combos. The neck pickup is pretty mellow at around 8, and the bridge around 13.5.
    They really are pretty good guitars for the money. I have owned 3 and I currently have an Elitist LP Custom. A really sweet guitar.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Did I miss something? You said your first Epi had some fret issues. Is this one a replacement. The black looks cool. Have you thought about a black pickguard. It would look killer, all black.
    The stock Epi pickups are pretty close to the Gibbys. They run about the same readings as the 490 498 combos. The neck pickup is pretty mellow at around 8, and the bridge around 13.5.
    They really are pretty good guitars for the money. I have owned 3 and I currently have an Elitist LP Custom. A really sweet guitar.
    Thanks guys!

Yep, that one's the replacement. The first one was used and after trying many adjustments, it seemed to need a good fret job. I figured to make it play right would be around $100 and so for close to the same amount, I returned it and got a brand new one with the lifetime warranty. The warranty may be a good one or not. I'm not sure how good Epiphone is about those things.

As a disclaimer, I don't know a whole lot about guitar pickups. I go mostly by what I hear. I generally prefer humbuckers and have noted that the "hot" pickups like the SD Invader and whatever was in my old HM strat are too cranky when playing clean. The Duncan Designs in my Schecter have good tone, but not enough definition.

The pups in this Epi, Alnico 5's (I think), sound like the right amount of thickness while maintaining definition. My ears say they're just right. I won't be swapping them.

I primarily play bass and this Epi Paul is just about perfect for the limited amount of guitar playing that I do.

The neck profile, weight, tone, and low action are just what I wanted in guitar and I'm happy as a clam.

The problem is that the da*# thing's been cutting into my bass time.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, man!

I have an Epi LP Standard from 2006 that looks exactly like your new one. The stock pups are fantastic (was gonna change 'em to BurstBuckers, but as soon as I heard those stock 'buckers, that idea went right out the window - and 3 of my guitar playing friends agreed!)

For the $, you can't buy a better LP! (And, for alot more $, either! Not incl the more expensive Gibby's, I guess, but mine has never had a problem w the finish issue - cracking, orange-peeling, checking...just saying...)

Truly a great LP, at twice the price or more!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

NW I agree with you on the stock pickups sounding great. Since you have one with a great low action, that is a bonus. Maybe you are ready to start playing lead! I have been impressed by the Epi LPs over the years and I really think they are the best bang for the buck guitars out there. There are not many guitars that come as close to the real Gibby for 1/4 the price.
    You are correct about the 100 dollars for a fret job. I bought a "Vintage Icon" gold top, for around 400 bucks and then had to have a 100 dollar fret job. In the end it was one of the best playing guitars I own. Wilkinson P90 pickups and a beautiful neck.
    But if your new Epi feels right I hope you enjoy it to death.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

I still love playing bass, but, dang this guitar is a heap of fun.

It seems my favorite guitarists; A. Lifeson, Duane Allman, Dicky Betts, Warren Haynes, etc. use Les Pauls and this one has that very distinctive tone of singing sustain that made the model famous.

The fretwork is decent, but not great. The electronics and hardware are really impressive for the price point.

I may eventually take into Mike Lull to get it Plek'd. I think that would make it about perfect.

Playing lead?? I dunno.

I do play lead occassionally when I jam with others but enjoy chordwork just as much. I guess the bass player part of me is always trying to stick to the rhythm.

OTOH, I have been playing along with some Allman's lately and really digging the melodic leads.....