Thread: Larrivee?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Larrivee?

Has anyone had any experience with Larrivee guitars?

How are their 03 series guitars?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a first series parlour, sometimes called P-01 (but not by Larrivee). Although its a "cheap" model, the construction is absolutely flawless.
    The 3 series are great guitars with a similar vibe, nothing fancy just good timber and good luthiery. The L body is a really nice hybrid between dread and OM.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There was a D-03R in the shop that closed here that I lusted for a long time. Shop closed before I was ready to buy, or I might have ended up with it. A nice, satin finish, rosewood dread. Great neck (I really got along with that neck), nice looking guitar, nice looking headstock, good colors, nice sound. Not truly a Martin sound, not truly a Taylor sound, more a Larrivee sound. And that was a good thing!

I believe Algonquin is a proud owner of one, though I think it is an OM size.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I am considering a used L03, if I can get one for a good price.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

A used L-03 in good condition is and excellent guitar for the money. I'm very happy with mine. Are you looking at a particular model, or just cruising the classifieds?
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Algonquin, I'm just cruising the classifieds.

I don't need a pickup.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Have fun searching... saddle or sound hole pickups can always be added down the road if you ever find yourself needing/wanting one.

Cheers
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an OM-3 and had it for a few weeks. A beautiful guitar all around, but at home it didn't sound the way it had in the shop (possible influence of in-the-moment guitar lust???), and I was looking for a bigger sound that I ultimately found in my Tacoma. I also liked the D-03 and thought that the L-03 would be a nice possibility but didn't cotton to it's sound compared to the D and the OM. I would strongly suggest that you play them - and any model that you are thinking about - before buying.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ted.

Since I would be buying used, I don't think that I get a chance to play it first.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Thanks Ted.

Since I would be buying used, I don't think that I get a chance to play it first.
    See if you can find one in a local shop (are they still making that model?) Also, esp if you want a made-in-north-America guitar, I strongly suggest that you try Seagull's 'Artist Mosaic' line. The one I tried (cedar and Mahog) was one of the most beautiful instruments I have ever held - gorgeous woods and workmanship, and a lovely warm sound. I was just looking for rosewood as it turned out - I was loathe to send the Seagull back, but since I can only afford one really good guitar.... BTW, doing much with your Johnson? Oops.. sorry if that sounds rude, but you know what I mean...

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Too late. Just got a great deal on an new Seagull Artist Studio (Solid Rosewood/Spruce).

If my son doesn't like it, then it's mine

My Johnson is patiently waiting until I learn to slide.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Too late. Just got a great deal on an new Seagull Artist Studio (Solid Rosewood/Spruce).

My Johnson is patiently waiting until I learn to slide smoothly from the head(stock) to the body.
    Congrats! There is a Seagull dealer near here, and I always liked the look and apparent quality, but they never had anything but the cedar tops, etc. No rosewood/spruce, and that was the sound I wanted. I would love to hear one of their R/S models sometime.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Tot. Hope your son likes it. Then again, if not you get it, so you win either way.

Like SVL all the Seagulls I've played have been cedar tops. Cedar, regardless of brand, never really grabbed me.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sun & 'keel.

The guitar is new & I can return it within a few days if I don't like it. I plan on having it checked out by a luthier.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, ToT - I bet you'll love it. I'd like to hear a Seagull R/S too. I tried the cedar top because I love the sound of my Art & Lutherie (another Godin/Seagull brand) cedar top. In the end, the Seagull sounded so similar to the A&L it didn't make sense to have both.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, tot! Everything I've read and heard abt Seagull is very positive. Unfortunately, in this little berg I live in, no one carries Seagull, or Godin, or Larrivee...or Collings, or, etc, etc...

No doubt it's a great guitar!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, its hard to try these things out. We'll see.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

So, Tot - what's the word on the new Seagull?

Post Thanks / Like

I love it & so does my son.

So much, in fact, that I got myself an Artist Studio Burst (spruce/rosewood)
    at a great price.

I didn't think much of the looks online, but in person she's a beaut!

It's quite fun to play an acoustic.
    I pick a moon dog.