Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NGD: Gibson Epiphone Strat Copy

Thread: NGD: Gibson Epiphone Strat Copy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default NGD: Gibson Epiphone Strat Copy

Just nabbed for $45 on CL. Now I need to figure out what it is. It's made in Korea, and I'm hoping it's the version with a mahogany body like the one being discussed here: Linky.. Anyone know anything about these?

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

What you have is an Epiphone S-310. I think they came in two styles, there was an S-210 as well. I think the 210 came with 2 singles and a hummbucker.
    The 210 was mad as late as 2004. I don't know the year range on yours.
    They are selling in the 50 to100 dollar range in most cases. I am not sure about the body. Could be a laminated body.
    Update: Did some research and the S series were made in various levels from 1986 to 1999. There were several configurations of pickups and neck finishes/inlays.
    SSS, and HH, and SSH pickups combos. Nothing on body material but being Made in Korea in that era they should be pretty good material.
    The earliest Epi. catalogue I have is a 2004 has the S210 in it with SSH pickups.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by ZMAN; November 25th, 2009 at 01:06 PM.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Zman, it does help.

This being Thanksgiving weekend for us, things are crazy, I haven't had much time to play around with it, other than Wednesday night when I got home. It's significantly lighter than my AXL or Michael Kelly, and I kind of like that. I didn't want to put it down, in fact I sat on the couch with it while we watched a movie and did finger exercises and stuff.

The volume pot is very noisy, and causes the pickups to cut out. So, as a budding, but neophyte tinkerer, I have ordered a Strat Rebuild kit from Guitar Fetish. Since I'm going to have to rewire everything then, I also went ahead and ordered a Lipstick Pick Up from there as well, the "neck" version. I have a SD SH-4 humbucker that I was considering putting in the bridge position. I'm pretty excited about this.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the epi strat copys are pretty good.. at least the older ones were, I havent played a recent one.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes this would be a pretty good platform for upgrades. The neck is said to be very nice on them. You will be able to tell what the body wood is when you pull the PG, to do your upgrades.
    You may want to look into a new set of tuners. I have heard the tuners are marginal on them. But if it stays in tune, I wouldn't bother.
    I really like the headstock on them. The S 210 from 2004 does not look near as nice.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.