Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
major scales / instructional graphics

Thread: major scales / instructional graphics

Post Thanks / Like

Default major scales / instructional graphics

Hi. I'm in the process of learning my major scales backwards and forwards, up and down. I also appreciate helpful, concise graphics as learning aides. So, if you know of a useful graphic representation of instructional materials, please post them!

I set this one (from wikipedia) as my desktop image. I think the 7 4 7 4 7 4 diagonal is interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mw13068
    Hi. I'm in the process of learning my major scales backwards and forwards, up and down. I also appreciate helpful, concise graphics as learning aides. So, if you know of a useful graphic representation of instructional materials, please post them!
    I'll offer up my one attempt at guitar scales that was met with a somewhat-cooler-than-tepid response:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=13333

If there's something you think there's something I could do to make it more useful, I'm all ears. It's far from perfect.

Thanks for the graphic; that's handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I might be missing something here, but is there any reason you -don't- want a book?

I have "the gig bag book of scales" and "the gig bag book of chords" that I bought a long time ago and I still use them from time to time. Kinda obviously, one is full of scales and one is full of chords, all sorted by key and all with musical notation, tab and fingering diagrams.

There are loads of chord finders and scale finder type apps on the web too so I'm not really sure why you want to re-invent the wheel as it where.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    There are loads of chord finders and scale finder type apps on the web too so I'm not really sure why you want to re-invent the wheel as it where.
    Are you asking me or the TS?

I originally started the spreadsheet because I wanted to be able to customize what I displayed in a spreadsheet -- only pentatonic if I want, arpeggios, harmonic minor, etc. It's free, I like learning Excel, and it doesn't require an internet connection (which is still a problem from time to time).

It wasn't really meant for other people to use, but I was having a problem with the formulas being a bit too clunky, so I was asking for help in that original thread.

I guess I'm not sure how to answer this; does what I've written answer your question?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I guess I'm not sure how to answer this; does what I've written answer your question?
    Yes totally.