Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a new amp today

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bought a new amp today

So I went to Guitar Center today for their Black Friday sale and I ended up buying a used peavey classic 30. Its not in mint condition but I got it for pretty cheap and it has some interesting components. The previous owner installed JJ EL84s and a Weber Blue Dog speaker in it. That was pretty much the selling point for me.

Anyways there are a couple things wrong with it. The reverb does not work, and I'm getting a buzzing sound when I turn the amp up to higher volumes. Currently I am more concerned with the buzzing. Has anyone had this problem with any of there amps...any suggestions?

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Buzz

Hold onto the magnet on the back of the speaker; grasp it and turn up the volume and play some note, etc. Does the buzzing stop?

If so then the magnet assembly is coming loose from the speaker cage and this may well be the culprit. They are usually rivited on and the rivets sometimes go bad. I had this with my Peavey Delta Blues, new speaker solved the problem, clear as a bell now.

Other obvious problems could be loose grill or faceplate problems, something resonating at high volume, vibrating.

Other guys here will probably have some other ideas.

Hope this helps.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Right of the bat I would return it due to the reverb not working. It could be a sign that the electronics have been damaged. As far as the buzzing it could be the tubes. turn on the amp and get a pencil with a rubber tip. Tap the tubes one by one and if there is a bad tube that has gone harmonic it will buzz, and you will be able to hear it. It sounds like a broken lightbulb filament in a bulb. That means you probably need some expensive tubes as well. Be careful not to touch anything else. Could be hair raising!
    All in all you could be out a couple of hundred for repairs to the amp.
    If you bought it that way and paid a very very low price you may have to bite the bullet. If not it should go back for repair. A decent speaker could also be a hundred plus.
    A good set of tubes for that could be hundreds as well.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a "buzzing" or rattling sound that I could swear was coming from the chassis, the speaker, the cab...ANYTHING but the output tubes.
    Turned out to be a tube, FWIW. Hope it turns out to be a simple fix so you can enjoy your gear.

As to the reverb (or any other known issue) I'd go back to the seller for not disclosing any defects.

Were you able to try the amp so you were comfortable walking out the door with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys,
    Thanks for all the help. It wasn't the speaker but I do think it is one of the tubes. There is one of the power tubes that rattles a little when I tap it. Is there any way of fixing this without replacing the tube itself. i.e could the tube just be loose, or could it be the brackets holding the tubes? This is my first all tube amp so I'm not too familiar with them.

I was informed that the reverb did not work before I bought the amp, and I did try the amp before I bought it. One of the employees said he thought the reverb would be a cheap fix...not sure how true that is. I decided to buy it because I do have 30 days to return it, it was priced pretty low, and I got 15% off that price. So I did buy it considering the fact that I might return it in a few days after I did some more research to see how bad these problems are.

Post Thanks / Like

The tube could be pulled and reset. Make sure you put it back correctly and don't force it. They have pins and holes corresponding to the pins in the tube socket. Most output tubes are in the 15 to 20 dollar range so it won't be a big fix. When a tube sounds like it rattles that means usually that the tube is gone. You don't need to replace all of them. I would get a spare El84, and a 12ax7 and keep them on hand. You can use them on other amps, and if this is your first tube amp I am sure it won't be your last. Sorry but for me I could not live without a reverb.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice ZMAN. I do want the reverb to work, I can tolerate it for a while without the reverb but I would like to fix it. All the other electronics seem to work fine, the reverb is just out. Could this mean the reverb tank is bad?

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard of situations where the tank was unplugged or even a broken wire. A good amp tech will find it in a minute and let you know. The only problem is that you have to take it in.
    Just a quick question. Did you get the footswitch with it. If not it could be that the reverb is not switched on. sometimes you need the switch. I have not owned a peavey but some amps are like this.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to add here as a former C30 owner....they are notorious for rattling tubes and the open back design is less than great for gigging and hauling the amp to and fro.....Get yourself a tube tamer or similar device to keep the tubes in check. Also check with Bob at Eurotubes for replacement tubes....it was $76.50 + $8.00 shipping to completely retube my C30 with the high gain option to get it as close to Marshall territory as it would go.

Not only that but Bob wrote me a complete explanation with speaker recommendation as well to get where I thought I wanted to go with that amp. His customer service is impeccable.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    Also check with Bob at Eurotubes for replacement tubes
    Indeed, Bob is one of the best. The JJs he selected for me outlasted all the other 6L6s I used in my particular combo. If you're doing a JJ re-tube, at least contact Bob and let him know of your needs, concerns about the amp, playing styles, etc. He'll tell you what he thinks. Combos beat up tubes, and he'll take that into consideration.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to check out eurotubes sometime sounds like a trustworthy site.

Kazz, I did not get a footswitch with the amp. I have another footswitch that might work though. I'll try it out.

Post Thanks / Like

You may have to get a peavey switch. I am not familiar with the amp but does it have a switch that controls the reverb on or off. If not it has to be turned on with the foot switch. You may have a working reverb after all.
    Last edited by ZMAN; November 30th, 2009 at 11:54 AM.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congrats on the C-30! A lot of amph for not too much dough. You can get that rattle fixed easily as described and can get a "tube tamer" online for like $10 or so. Just google that name and you will find it. I once in a while would get a little rattle, but not since I put on the tube tamer. Hopefully, the reverb is an easy fix. I love mine. Have fun!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I think I kinda miss reverb...my Blackheart doesn't have it. I love the fact that there's aftermarket stuff in your Peavey. Can't wait to retrofit my 1 x 12" cab with a Greenback (clone).

Post Thanks / Like

The reverb is probably going to be a a cheap fix. There is an IC chip on the board that can fry. It's a real cheap thing to buy.

BUT BEFORE YOU PULL IT OUT - make sure to note the marking on top of it so that you can orient the replacement the same direction. Otherwise if it's reversed you'll toast it as soon as you turn it on.

You'll have to pull the chassis out of the cabinet to service this item but make sure you touch noting else in the amp other than this one IC chip. There is stored electricity in the caps that can seriously hurt you.

Follow the reverb leads from the tank to the board and that should tell you right where the IC chip is. You'll need tweezers to get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    You may have to get a peavey switch. I am not familiar with the amp but does it have a switch that controls the reverb on or off. If not it has to be turned on with the foot switch. You may have a working reverb after all.
    The C30 reverb works without the pedal.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm going to take it in somewhere and have them check it out, let me know whats wrong with the reverb for sure, and then I'll try to fix it myself depending on how much they'll charge to fix it. That is unless there is some easy way to find out whether something is loose, or the IC is burnt out? Also is their an easy way to access the reverb tank without ripping the tolex open? Sorry for all these questions I guess I should've posted this in repairs haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Spud. I really should broaden my amp knowledge. Only Fender and Marshall so far. I figure the rest are emulating those two. Oh and maybe the Vox.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Nay

The IC chip is the same one that goes into a Tubescreamer. Easy to find and cheap. Just get one and swap it out. If you take it in anywhere it's a minimum 1 hour bench fee which is $30 - $60 just for them to tell you that it's broken.

The chip might be a dollar or possibly two.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

And you might want to buy two............... no way to know if the last owner maybe replaced one and put it in backwards, y'know?
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast