Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garageband recommendation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garageband recommendation

I must really recommend you guys to get a Mac
    With every new iMac comes Garageband, a free recording studio that works fantastic with the guitar plugged straight into the computer. You can also use your favourite amp modeling software with it (Audio Units or VST plugs).
    I recorded a short clip with the standard built in amp modeler (there are three british and three american amp sims and they sound rather good). Not playing my best but it should give you guys a hint how the amp section sounds.
    Forgive the hum, it is my standard Squirrel Tele pups that always hum when I play in front of the computer (my old LP never did that).
    Last edited by SuperSwede; January 5th, 2006 at 01:39 PM.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thats pretty cool. What amp model did you play through. The sound was recorded very clear. I'm so used to using IBM PCs. I thought about getting a Mac for my oldest once but then she changed schools and now they use PCs there so I never did. Cool that you got free recording stuff on yours! I've still yet to produce some sounds I promised Robert on my computer. At least you're in the running! Good sounds!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    It was the built in American Bright Gain. I added some trem, echo, reverb and compressor.

Check out http://http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/ if you want to know more about garageband.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A new article out about Garageband, featuring info from acoustic recording artist Greg Laswell. I am always interested in this stuff.

http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/laswell/?sr=hotnews
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Where's dat clip!?

I just started with GarageBand, and I have to say I like it! I like it a lot more than iMovie.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I like it a lot more than iMovie.
    i think you would like imovie once you mess with it a little more....there is a timeline feature in there and then you can move it to idvd to menu it up and such!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

iMovie doesn't seem to have a timeline with seconds showing. It makes it really hard to know where you are in a clip. Please enlighten me if I'm out to lunch.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    iMovie doesn't seem to have a timeline with seconds showing. It makes it really hard to know where you are in a clip. Please enlighten me if I'm out to lunch.
    with imovie open look right below the main viewing window and you will see two small icons at the far left.....one looks like a piece of film and the other like a clock....click the clock to see the timeline (including audio tracks and such) click the piece of film to see the clips....

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

robert,

check out this website....they have some useful imovie plugins....i needed to add a logo to a clients movie and was able to do it easily with one of their plugins....i think you can add text too....only a few bucks for each plugin!

http://www.imovieplugins.com/

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have iMovie 08? I don't see no clock icon.

I can see the timeline fine, but I can see any minutes:seconds displayed for the timeline.

Post Thanks / Like

no i only have 6.0 but the minutes:seconds display is right above the timeline....maybe ss has a newer version...

ww

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The clock icon is lower left. The time shows up after a clip has been imported. Until you import a clip into your iMovie project, time measurements do not appear on the timeline. Once clips are there, iMovie has something to measure on the timeline. This is in '08.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    The clock icon is lower left.
    i think he found the timeline icon but doesn't see the minutes:seconds display...

ww

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I caught that and did an edit of my post above after opening an old project in '08. I also opened a blank project and added a clip to check.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I caught that and did an edit after opening an old project in '08. I also opened a blank project and added a clip to check.
    ok...that makes sense...i opened an existing project...that's probably why i saw the minutes:seconds display!

ww

Post Thanks / Like

I havent used the new version yet, but the older imovie HD had a normal timeline...

Post Thanks / Like

So where's your GarageBand clip?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

(EDIT: Oh, you meant Swede's clip from the beginning of this thread. Yeah, where is that thing SS? Guess you have to post a new one if you can't find it. .)

Any of the clips I have posted on the forum so far have been through Garageband. More recently, I used the Toneport UX2 as a source into Garageband, but everything was recorded there. Here is a link to a somewhat recent one with a comment on the recording by Jimi.

Guys, that was really amazing. I love listening to all of you play. Quite an inspiration.

Ok, on the more beginner end of things, I started a new one up. Constructive criticism welcome. I feel I could benefit from good control over a vibrato, and my bends are not to pitch as I would like. Mostly though, someone hop in.

http://www.box.net/shared/gvr1sl18gc

Here is a different take.

http://www.box.net/shared/wsmhtb4sgw

Feel free to comment on both or either, and someone please hop in on one or the other. :
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    Sunvalleylaw,

I am happy to finally hear your playing!
    Here's what I think:

. . . .

- the recording quality is briliant as is also the guitar sound

My friend you are on a very good way and I can almost smell which kind of guitar player sleeps in you.

:
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

If you like Garageband be sure to check out iControl from M-Audio. Great little USB interface. I use it with my GB and I love it, makes life so much easier to tweek settings and for mixing.

As a tip make sure your recording in 24bit with GB then mix it down to 16bit 44100 fro CD Quality.
    I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    1993 USA Fender Strat Plus
    200? Michael Kelly Hybrid
    2002 Gretsch G3100 Historical Series
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Boss ME-20 Multi Effect Pedal
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)