Thread: Crate GFX 120 Hum problem...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crate GFX 120 Hum problem...

Just got the above amph today. The guy I got it from said the hum (quite loud & annoying) was there when he got it from the original owner.

When I turn the unit on, there's a loud hum - like a 60-cycle, sort of. It remains constant...volume pot doesn't increase the noise, channels don't make a difference. Nothing I do changes the volume/pitch of the hum. It's just there. Removed the chassis from the amph, and all wiring/etc. looks original & intact. I certainly don't mind jumping in this thing, and I have the schematics - I just don't know how to proceed to troubleshoot this.

Any thoughts or ideas (aside from comments on solid state & Crate being complete rubbish )??
    Last edited by Zip; November 29th, 2009 at 09:21 PM.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Check the caps on the power supply. They'll be on the DC side after the rectifier.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a Crate GTX212. I bought it used, and the power supply had been replaced. It might be a common thing. Look for bulging caps as stated above, it might be a simple fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep - it was the filter caps. One read about 47, the other about 32. Replaced them both, and now I get screaming solos out of this amph

Edit - I lied. It's a GFX 212.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, so is mine. Mine's in the basement though, resting...I don't have enough room upstairs for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I got this thing for 60 bucks - the two 12" Eminence speakers are worth that alone. So it's all good.

Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Good job.

I had a Crate G212. Notice I said "G212", it was long long ago.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm I paid 75 for mine, but I don't think mine has Eminence Speakers in it...I'll have to go look when I get home tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

The label says "Crate Custom Design"......they're rebadged Eminence speakers

Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OK, I just went downstairs to check. My amp is a Crate GT212, with the Crate Custom Design speakers. It has a spring reverb tank. Date on the speakers says 2001.

I do wish my Blackheart had reverb.