I need some expert assistance in finding me an amp. I am looking for a Fender amp. I always did enjoy the tone produced by Fender amps. This amp can be either new or vintage, but must be within the specifications I seek.

In have been going back and forth between a tube amp and a solid-state amp. I realize that the tube will produce a much louder volume than it’s brother solid state. But from what I am reading, the tube amp will slightly distort the tone as the volume increases. On the other hand I do know that the solid-state amps produce the smooth and clear tones that I seek.

Then there is the weight factor, which plays a major issue in my final decision whether buy a tube or solid-state amp. Because of an injured back many years ago, I must stay within the weight factor of no more than 40 pounds +/-.

For this main reason I am leaning towards a Fender solid-state amp. I am looking for something in the 65-watt range. I think a 65-watt amp would punch through a drummer and keyboard player of a small band. Since I have a few stomp pedals, I do not need a modeler amp. I have been looking at the Fender Frontman 65, but have read on HC that there is significant amount of hiss with this amp.

So what I am asking of you fellow Fretters is your input on Fender amps. I do not have experience or knowledge of Fender amps, either new or vintage. Suggestions will be most appreciated. Presently I can go new or used, depending on the condition of the used amp. The more I think about a nice vintage Fender amp would fit the need nicely.

Thanks in advance for those who provide information to me.

Happy frettin’

Tim