Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
Eric: I would make sure you try out a P90 guitar before you do any swapping. If you are used to a humbucker you may not be able to put up with the noise of a P90.
Also the cheaper they are the more noise there is. They pick up every electrical signal and in some cases radio programs. They are only humcancelling in the middle position with both volumes fairly close. They are in a world of their own tone wise. But if you like the raw punch of it they might suit you well. I am only saying this because if you are used to a quiet humbucking guitar, or a Strat with hum cancelling pickup selections you will notice the difference immediately. Also make sure you use the same amp as you have at home if at all possible.
Oh and by "quiet" I mean no background humming, only the sound of the strings being picked.
Good points. I had read some of that stuff about P90s, and I wasn't going to do this pickup swap until far in the future, but I will admit that I didn't know they were quite as touchy as you describe. I definitely plan to spend some time getting to know P90s before I do anything with this.