Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Pickup config and selection - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pickup config and selection

Post Thanks / Like

I put GFS P90's (Dream and Mean 90's) if I remember correctly. They fit the humbucking route in my Turser Cleopatra semi-hollow body and I love them. I get compliments on the sound all the time. They have clarity and a sweet growl and for the life of me I can't understand why they are so quiet, even in single mode. I am thinking about getting a pair for my Epi LP Studio.

Post Thanks / Like

Eric, I have an SX SJM-62 with P-90s, and I love the tone. They've got to be cheap, rather low-quality pickups for them to be in a guitar at that price point, but they still sound pretty darn good. I've entertained the idea of changing them out for some AlNiCo pickups, but unless I could find something really good for really cheap, I don't really see the point. I own two SXs, and a Douglas, so you can either consider me cheap, or frugal. My other SX, a Strat knock off, is still in the process of being modded. I need to get myself a router before I can break that stalemate.

P-90s definitely have their own character. I plan on buying a goldtop Les Paul (probably the Epi version, since I'm...frugal) with P-90s at some point in the future. I have to agree with OG, that you'd be better off buying another SX than to undertake such major surgery on your current git. Boy, a G&L would be sweet, though. My ex-roommate had one, and it's always been his favorite out of all the guitars he's owned. Sounded great, too.

Good luck with your future decisions, Eric. Sounds like you've got a lot to consider now.

-Sean
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    I own two SXs, and a Douglas, so you can either consider me cheap, or frugal.
    Yeah, I took a look at your pictures and must say that I think we run on the same wavelength as far as cheap guitars and accessories are concerned.

It's good to know that GFS pickups are a viable option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for a budget LP with P90s take a look at the Vintage Icon Gt series. They have Wilkinson p90s and wilkinson bridges and hardware. I purchased on last year for 419 Can. It needed a fret job, that cost me 95 dollars including strings and a set up. Now is is probably one of the best playing LPs that I own.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    If you are looking for a budget LP with P90s take a look at the Vintage Icon Gt series. They have Wilkinson p90s and wilkinson bridges and hardware. I purchased on last year for 419 Can. It needed a fret job, that cost me 95 dollars including strings and a set up. Now is is probably one of the best playing LPs that I own.
    I checked those out earlier this year, and they look great. Last time I looked, they weren't available in the US, though. Has that changed, Z?

(Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread, Eric. )
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but I am in Canada. I thought you could get them in the US.
    The Wilkinson P90s are hotter than the Gibsons I have. Still a little noisey but that could be the rest of the electronics. Middle position is noisless though. Quite a nice tone. I am pretty sure you can buy the pickups separate from Wilkinson. Another option for Eric.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default P nineties

I have a Squire black Vintage Modified Custom II with twin duncan designed noise cancelling in the middle position pickups and it sounds really great.

I have a solid mahogany w mahogany set neck SX LP special copy with twin SX P nineties that are not noise cancelling but they still sound great and it roars!
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Man, there's a local seller with an Agile LP with P90s. He's also selling an SX tele. Sooooo tempting.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/msg/1502984227.html
    http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/msg/1503000972.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    Man, there's a local seller with an Agile LP with P90s. He's also selling an SX tele. Sooooo tempting.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/msg/1502984227.html
    http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/msg/1503000972.html
    Haha, you're getting right into the swing of over-purchasing, aren't you? Want to buy some of my stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Commodore 64

On the rondomusic.com page you can get brand new ones of these for almost the same price, plus shipping.

Don't know if you knew that.

I would definitely try to talk him down.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12