Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Gig report - The National Anthem at the OCDP

Thread: Gig report - The National Anthem at the OCDP

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Gig report - The National Anthem at the OCDP

This was one of the stranger gigs I've ever played. One of my best friends is an active member of the Orange County Democratic Party and occasionally our band will play an event but a few months ago he asked if I would be interested in playing the National Anthem at their annual "Truman Awards Dinner". In the style of Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock. Sounded like fun, so I said yes and then promptly forgot about it since they didn't have a date set. a few weeks ago Gary asks me at a rehearsal if I was still available since they had set the date and I said yes....

The thing that I didn't realize going in was that the guest speaker was Nancy Pelosi, one of the most controversial people in politics and that there would be protesters and secret service and much hubub....here is the story about the event in the loal paper: http://www.ocregister.com/news/healt...losi-care.html

about 4pm I arrived to find a few protesters already lined up. This was 3 hours before the event. By downbeat the street was literally full of people.

As always, I arrived in style

My rig was the 1966 Bassman, 1x12 cab and my pedalboard, of which I used a Throbak stonebender Fuzz, an MXR Carbon Copy Delay and an an Xotic RC Booster which I used to make the amp sound like it was louder than it possibly could have been in this situation. I was surprised that I was able to put the (50 watt tube) amp on 3 since hotel ballrooms tend to be a bit too lively for electric guitar and I figured the "volume tolerance level" was going to be pretty low at such an event.

Two guitars, because I'm pro like that.

the stage from where I was sitting after I played. Nancy Pelosi is the lightest dot at the center of the picture.

After I set up and had my gear gone through by Secret Service and explosives sniffing dogs (cute dogs that I'm sure could rip my throat out, btw) I did a sound check and then waited around for a few hours. Apparently the choice to have the Hendrix version was very controversial because everyone I was introduced to made a big deal about it and how they hoped it would go well . When I was introduced to one guy and he was told I would be playing it on guitar and not singing it he actually sang the first couple of lines and simply said "Well, I can sing it".

Anyhow, here is the performance shot by Gary on my $150 Canon still camera:

SSB :: OCDPTrumanAwards12-4-09013.flv video by markwein - Photobucket

I decided to play it pretty straight after I realized the amount of hassle it would cost my buddy if I "Let my freak flag fly" and do the full frontal Hendrix. It was also one of the more intimidating 60 seconds or so of music I've ever had to play since it was 600 non-musicians who were waiting to see what kind of a spectacle I was going to be and if I was going to desecrate something that was very meaningful to them at a political even with national press and a really bigwig 15 feet from me.

As I was walking off the stage what is not on the video is the gentleman at the podium (who mispronounced my name) announces "Jimi Hendrix must be rolling over in his grave" to the crowd. I think he meant well

Here is the soundcheck...I actually played a little better...

SSB :: OCDPTrumanAwards12-4-09011.flv video by markwein - Photobucket

During dinner one of the top singers in the Persian music world Farshid Amin sang some fairly patriotic songs...I hung out with his keyboard player a bit while we were waiting...

The food was terrible, I got to experience something that I've never seen before (I'm not a very political person so this was my firsst event like this) and I got to see protesters walking around the hotel with pictures of Nancy Peloisi dressed like Chairman Mao taped to their shirt. Definitely an event to remember......

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty cool gig Mark, and great story

You must have been wearing one heck of a belt buckle because the photographer was pretty interested in snapping a shot of it at the end of your performance.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Pretty cool gig Mark, and great story
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin

You must have been wearing one heck of a belt buckle because the photographer was pretty interested in snapping a shot of it at the end of your performance.
    tbh I thought maybe my fly was down

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool gig and a terrific story.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evenkeel
    Very cool gig and a terrific story.
    Thanks!

Most of them aren't this noteworthy

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool, mark! Great documentation and narrative! Those are some heavy hitters you were playing for!

Nice version. Good thing you didn't go over the top with full-on Hendrix, 'cause I think I detected a few sphincters tightening as it was!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool Mark! Must of been a little "loud" for the old folks because at one point I saw the guy who introduced you sticking his finger in his ear.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigG
    Very cool, mark! Great documentation and narrative! Those are some heavy hitters you were playing for!

Nice version. Good thing you didn't go over the top with full-on Hendrix, 'cause I think I detected a few sphincters tightening as it was!
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyshiner
    Very cool Mark! Must of been a little "loud" for the old folks because at one point I saw the guy who introduced you sticking his finger in his ear.
    hehehe.....it definitely was a mixed crowd.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very cool! And very brave to get up in front of that crowd and just solo that. Wow!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson