Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Coil Hum

Post Thanks / Like

Default Single Coil Hum

I have an American Strat. There is a natural hum to it, but that is the Strat. I have a JVM, and the hum that you with the strat through it is Brutal. I really like the strat tone.
    Is there a set of pickups that can replace these, that would do away with the num, and not dampen the tone too much?
    Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Strat Delux
    Fender American Tele
    Alverez Yairi Ani DeFranco
    Fender Twin 65
    Fender Twin 72
    Fender Bassman 70
    Roland JC 120
    Marshall JVM 410 H
    Vintage 30 Stack

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of changing PUs, opt for the pricey Suhr SSC (silent single coil) system. www.suhrguitars.com

Post Thanks / Like

You can try shielding the guitar. If you do a search you'll find several threads on this forum. While that won't get rid of the noise completely it can help a lot.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

If the middle p/u is reverse wound, and I'm sure it is, the #2 and #4 position on your selector switch will eliminate most of the hum. Also, consider the Neovin line from GFS.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Fender has several good noiseless pick ups.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't really liked the tone of any of the noiseless pickups I've tried. So I do the old-fashioned "turn down the volume knob in between songs" thing. While the band's playing, you can't hear the hum.

If I could find noiseless pickups with good tone, I'd be tempted to use them, though.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

I have fender's samarium cobalt noiseless pickups in my tele and i love them.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear the new sanitarum titanium's are going to have a crazy new sound. Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would love to know if the Neovins are as good as the GFS says they are.

Post Thanks / Like

You could try Shedpickups in the UK www.shedpickups.com

Post Thanks / Like

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

I really liked the Dimarzio Area 61s I had. They had more heft to them than is typical for a vintage Strat pup. The Area 58s or 67s would probably be closer in that regard. I absolutely hate single coil hum. That's compounded by the fact that I've got a CRT and a fluorescent light in my office where my guitar stuff is. I don't think the fridge and freezer in the next room helps either.

I would definitely try shielding it first, especially if you like the pups you have.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Single coil HB replacements

I am not an expert on vintage tone but can say that the Seymour Duncan hot rail neck, 'lil 59 middle, and JB Jr bridge that I put in one of my strats along with a complete electronic upgrade, sound incredible. I mean really incredible. Close to three hundred dollars worth of pickups alone.

These SD single coil sized noiseless pups do not sound like their full sized brothers, they sound way more straty. That JB Jr is really sweet and hot and the hot rail in the neck is super great. The 59 is wide open with the bridge tone mod having been done but sounds great.

Seymour Duncans are great if you like that tone in your strat.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm exploring everything here, and will let you know what I lock in on
    Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Tele
    Fender Twin 65
    Fender Twin 72
    Fender Bassman 70
    Roland JC 120
    Marshall JVM 410 H
    Vintage 30 Stack

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what people are talking about, when they don't like the tone of a noiseless pickup. The Fender vintage noiseless are extremely nice pickups.
    There is no noise and you get only the classic tones. Another pickup that I think is grossly overlooked is the SCN Summarium Cobalt Noiseless from Fender. They only came on the high end guitars so maybe that is why. They are amazing. I have a set on my MIA 50th Anni Deluxe. You get all the classic tones of a Strat on steroids and no hum. After you play a noiseless pickup the rest sound like a 20 dollar Stereo.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Noisless

I too am highly impressed with the Samarium Cobalt Fender pickups. I have played them and think they are really great and I like them better than the Fender vintage noisless.

The Seymour Duncans are also really great noisless strat pickups, in my opinion.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

The Suhr SSC is the best way to go, if you want to use true single coil pickups.

If you don't want to spend the bucks needed for that, I would suggest the DiMarzio Area pickups, Kinman or the Fender SCN pickups. Fender Vintage Noiseless are so-so in my opinion. Personally, I would get the Area 61s from DiMarzio - not so expensive and they sound great.

Others to look at would be Seymour Duncan and Bill Lawrence, but I am sure there are more good noiseless pups out there that I don't know about.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Default reduce the hum

Before replacing your pickups I'd definitely shield the cavity and back of the the pickguard - some adhesive copper tape is a cheap fix if it helps.
    I'm not sure of the severity of the problem but it is possible you might have some noise from a bad earth/ground too so whilst you're doing the shielding I'd also be checking my wiring to make sure everything is grounded properly. It will ensure you don't get electricuted too!
    And if you want awesome pickups at a great price (and custom wound if you want)then go here: http://www.chevalierpickups.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    The Suhr SSC is the best way to go, if you want to use true single coil pickups.

If you don't want to spend the bucks needed for that, I would suggest the DiMarzio Area pickups, Kinman or the Fender SCN pickups. Fender Vintage Noiseless are so-so in my opinion. Personally, I would get the Area 61s from DiMarzio - not so expensive and they sound great.

Others to look at would be Seymour Duncan and Bill Lawrence, but I am sure there are more good noiseless pups out there that I don't know about.
    I went with the SNCs abd they sound great.
    Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Tele
    Fender Twin 65
    Fender Twin 72