Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tube Amp Recommendations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tube Amp Recommendations

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tube Amp Recommendations

Alright, I figured after doing tons of reading myself I might as well consult some fellow experts. I play primarily jazz/blues, preferring reberb and delay as effects, with sometimes a hop into a compressed dirty tone . but still more on the clean side than really twisted. Anyone play a similar style or can recommend a decent tube amp? I'd prefer it to...

a) be in the 30 / 50 watt range,
    b) i have to lug it up and down 3 flights of stairs whenever I take it to play out somewhere, It can't be built out of balsa wood and eric lindross jaw bones
    c) It looks like I am in the 0 - 1k price range here. As nice as those higher end models appear to be....

thats about it. I know I've torn the lid off pandora's box with such an open ended question, but lets have it! :-)

--EDIT-- how about a list of some models I've considered and what might be making me think twice:

Epiphone Custom 30
    its a 2x12 30Watt tube amp, although it has a closed back, and an internal fan (which I've read has died on some people...) I'd rather not have a fan assembly, as it is indeed one more thing to go wrong, and why contain all the heat with the closed back? It has a vented grille so it's not even a solid closed-cabinet... but it looks enticing for the pricepoint. another caveot... since when did epiphone make amps?

Vox AC30
    Its.. over a grand. I think I am paying a lot for a "name" in this case. I like the nasty heavy reverb I've heard come out of this thing but... there are cheaper fully devoted pedals for such things, 1.3k is asking a lot, or am i wrong?

Bugera V22 / V55
    I actually got one of these but had to return it, it was having all kinds of problems and there was no biasing information available from the manufacturer to even begin trying to see if that was the issue... no more shopping for the bottom-of-the-barrel, lesson learned.

I've also looked at the Carvin Nomad, and the Peavey Custom 30. Thinking something American Made would be nice, spend my dollar in the US, and (hopefully) get some better quality out of it.
    Last edited by redgibson; December 8th, 2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: adding models that piqued interest

Post Thanks / Like

The Peavey Delta 1x15 is very versatile and can get pretty loud if you need it. I love the fat bottom from the 15 and the fact that it's a combo so that means just one trip. The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is another contender.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd demo the $899 Egnater Rebel-30 1x12 combo, which weighs 40 pounds, and about 30 pounds lighter than their 2x12 combo.
    I'm sure there are other worthy choices out there, but I really like the tube mix blend knob that offers any combination of EL84 and 6V6 power tubes, or just one or the other. You can also add an extension cab, plus it has variable wattage on both channels from 1 to 30 watts, which is nice for home use.

• 30-Watt All-Tube 1 x 12” Combo
    • Variable Wattage Control From 1w to 30w On Each Channel
    • Tube Mix Blends 6V6 and EL84 Power Tubes
    • Clean Channel: Volume, Bass, Treble
    • Overdrive Channel: Volume, Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble
    • Tight and Bright Voicing Switches On Each Channel
    • Individual Reverb Level for Each Channel with “Spillover”
    • Footswitch for Channel Select and Reverb On/Off
    • Buffered Effects Loop
    • Balanced XLR / ¼” Cabinet Voiced Line / Recording Output
    • Speaker Mute Mode for Silent Recording
    • Egnater Elite-80 Speaker by Celestion®
    • 100V / 115V / 230V Voltage Selector
    • Heavy Duty Cover Included
    Dimensions: 19"(L) x 13" (W) x 15" (H)
    Weight: 40 lbs
    Last edited by Tig; December 8th, 2009 at 07:00 PM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have mixed feelings about recommending amps to people. They give a list of things they want, but you never know how each want is weighted. So I will give you the ones I feel fall into the category of your wants.
    Light weight, under 1000 bucks and 30 to 50 watts.
    My first would be the Fender 65 Deluxe reissue. Yes it has only 22 watts but is a big 22 watts and fabulous tone. Reasonably light and good for the blues and classic rock. I take it you are looking for a combo, so my other recomendation is the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401. A 40 watt 1/12 with a switchable clean, gain, and high gain channels. Reverb, and reasonaly small package. Awsome tone. I am using it as a head only, through my 2/12 Avatar cab and it sounds great. Try to get one of the later issues because there was a heat problem with the first ones. Also usually under 800 bucks.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd give two thumbs up for the Carvin Nomad.
    It's a nice small package, the clean channel and verb are as sweet as any Fender, and they love pedals up front.
    The OD channel is useful for Classic Rock / Blues or a boosted up semi clean.
    New they are like ~550.00, and a good used ones are ~ $350.00
    I've owned each model of the Carvin Vintage series. I'd still have one or two if I didn't have a 2 boutique $2k rigs.

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion for a sub-$1000 amp with a good clean channel and versatile overdrive channel would be a used Mesa Boogie Mark series. They are not light and they have more power than anyone needs but they are in another class of amplifier. I've seen used Mark I reissues going for around $800. The clean is easily capable of jazz and the overdrive is really smooth.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

How about the Hot Rod Deluxe? It's a blues or blues-rock machine.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a hot rod deluxe for a few years and I really like it. I need something with way less power b/c its crazy loud, but if you're looking for a loud clean blues amp, it'd be pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to second the choice of either the Peavey Classic 30 or the Peavey Delta Blues 115 or 210. I've played all three, and own the 210. One of the sweetest amps available for what you're looking for. Check one out if you get a chance. I think it'll bring a smile to your face.
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigG
    I'd have to second the choice of either the Peavey Classic 30 or the Peavey Delta Blues 115 or 210. I've played all three, and own the 210. One of the sweetest amps available for what you're looking for. Check one out if you get a chance. I think it'll bring a smile to your face.
    A Delta Blues is on my short list as it has everything I'm looking for, but I'm not sure if I'd like the 210 or 115 better. Any particular reason you went with the 210 over the 115? I think they no longer make the 210, but it is still in stock at several shops.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am a Peavey Classic 30 owner and fan too. I know Spud loves his Delta, and he owns both so that is a consideration. But I know I love me 30.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to spend your money on a "Made in the USA" amph, that should narrow your choices considerably. There are several out there, though few of them offer 30w models for under $1K.
    Regarding the reverb, delay, and compressed dirty tone, do you use pedals to get there?
    Do you need lots of built in effects, lots of overdrive, lots of patching optioins, effects loop, etc., or just a good basic sound to build on?
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Vox AD30VT + AD50VT and the Fender SCXD
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Everyone I'm loving the replies. Its nice to get feedback from players and people in a community instead of a review on the site saying "THIS AMP ROCKS!" ... of course it would say that, they're trying to sell it to me! You can keep the thread going- I have a peavey right now and it has fallen apart without much abuse, and it is a solid state. (backstage chorus 210) half of the options don't work... its just kinda barely getting me by, so it has been silently deterring me from a Peavey but I keep hearing about the classic 30... the egnator looks like a tonal beast... obviously I need to go to a store and try some of these out, but I wanted to say thanks for replies etc. You can keep them coming its a good conversation :-)

Post Thanks / Like

redgibson, the Peavey you own was made in Asia. The Classic 30 and Delta Blues 210 and 115 (both 30w tube combo amps) are part of Peavey's "Classic" Series, and are Made in the USA, and there really is no comparison. The USA-made Peavey's are pretty much bulletproof.

Again, check 'em out. The tone, build quality, etc...

(I recently sold my beloved Vox AC15 to finance the purchase of a new guitar, and held on to my Peavey DB 210! And, until I owned and became familiar w the Peavey, that would have been unthinkable! That's how much I love that DB 210!)
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, I've heard positive comments about that amph.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the reason people are have had any problems with the amp is from heat from the way the back is made, me personally I would modify the back to allow for more ventilation, all that heat from the tubes has no where to go, heat rises and they have no gap at the top for heat escape, hense the fan on the inside of the chassis to cool the components.

Post Thanks / Like

Default heat stuff

Yeah I am debating taking the panel off the back instead of tucking everything inside there. maybe keep half of it on for support. I have a year warranty on it from where i got it (even though it is used) so.. at least i have that. The first thing the wife said was "Its too loud!" which is a shame really, she just justified a purchase for a non-workhorse practice amp in the 5-15 watt range ;-) jk i think I'll work with this one just fine for a while. I am interested in seeing what kind of tonal differences i can get by swapping out some tubes, etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the schematic if you need it:

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.a...sts&t=6812&p=5

Look for twanger's post.

Here are some mods:

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=6812

The 5881 tubes in it are probably Sovtek, if they are the originals. They are very sturdy tubes, and can take much more abuse than a real 5881, or 6L6GC for that matter. IMHO, they don't sound all that great, so any real 6L6GC type tube you put in it will be a sonic improvement.

Heat might be a problem in the Class A mode, since it is only 15W from a pair of 6L6 type tubes, the amp probably really is operating in Class A. This means a lot of heat.

Looks like a cool amp, congrats.

Concerning quality: I've had several Valve Juniors, and all have been sturdy enough. The quality isn't top-notch, but it isn't as bad as some would have you believe.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by redgibson
    Yeah I am debating taking the panel off the back instead of tucking everything inside there. maybe keep half of it on for support. I have a year warranty on it from where i got it (even though it is used) so.. at least i have that. The first thing the wife said was "Its too loud!" which is a shame really, she just justified a purchase for a non-workhorse practice amp in the 5-15 watt range ;-) jk i think I'll work with this one just fine for a while. I am interested in seeing what kind of tonal differences i can get by swapping out some tubes, etc...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast