Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tube Amp Recommendations - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tube Amp Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

I think the reason people are have had any problems with the amp is from heat from the way the back is made, me personally I would modify the back to allow for more ventilation, all that heat from the tubes has no where to go, heat rises and they have no gap at the top for heat escape, hense the fan on the inside of the chassis to cool the components.

Post Thanks / Like

Default heat stuff

Yeah I am debating taking the panel off the back instead of tucking everything inside there. maybe keep half of it on for support. I have a year warranty on it from where i got it (even though it is used) so.. at least i have that. The first thing the wife said was "Its too loud!" which is a shame really, she just justified a purchase for a non-workhorse practice amp in the 5-15 watt range ;-) jk i think I'll work with this one just fine for a while. I am interested in seeing what kind of tonal differences i can get by swapping out some tubes, etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the schematic if you need it:

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.a...sts&t=6812&p=5

Look for twanger's post.

Here are some mods:

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=6812

The 5881 tubes in it are probably Sovtek, if they are the originals. They are very sturdy tubes, and can take much more abuse than a real 5881, or 6L6GC for that matter. IMHO, they don't sound all that great, so any real 6L6GC type tube you put in it will be a sonic improvement.

Heat might be a problem in the Class A mode, since it is only 15W from a pair of 6L6 type tubes, the amp probably really is operating in Class A. This means a lot of heat.

Looks like a cool amp, congrats.

Concerning quality: I've had several Valve Juniors, and all have been sturdy enough. The quality isn't top-notch, but it isn't as bad as some would have you believe.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by redgibson
    Yeah I am debating taking the panel off the back instead of tucking everything inside there. maybe keep half of it on for support. I have a year warranty on it from where i got it (even though it is used) so.. at least i have that. The first thing the wife said was "Its too loud!" which is a shame really, she just justified a purchase for a non-workhorse practice amp in the 5-15 watt range ;-) jk i think I'll work with this one just fine for a while. I am interested in seeing what kind of tonal differences i can get by swapping out some tubes, etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on finding an amph you like for cheap $$$!
    I have a Valve Jr. and a SoCal, they're decent enough amphs, just not fancy, or boutique.
    Bloozcat has one of the BC30's, I believe, and I think he liked it quite a bit after some tube changes. Maybe he'll chime in here with an update on his (hopefully).
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Epiphone Custom Blues on Youtube

My friend posted a link of us piecing togethor a jam riff on youtube, if anyone needs yet another example of some Blues Custom 30 sounds. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../0/lusQdmVNlv0

excuse the lame drum machine and tempo lapses, its much easier to jam with a real drummer!! :-)

FYI its an american strat highway 1 series with the "greasebucket" wiring I assume. had one owner before me and i know HE didn't change the wiring, and I haven't gotten around to it or been bothered by it really, going straight to the amp. my cords went to hell and I was unable to use my fun digital delay in the loop for this jam, it makes it more interesting thats for sure. but tonewise yes. Am. Strat HW 1, straight to the BC30 clean channel.
    Last edited by redgibson; January 22nd, 2010 at 03:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Okie dokie....let the fun begin....

I bought one of the first BC 30's when they first came out. After much experimentation, much participation in discussions at various music sites, and even an hour long phone conversation with the amps designer Pyotr Belov, here's what I ended up with:

Changed the power tubes from the Sovtek 5881 to Tung Sol re-issue 5881's.
    Changed V1, V2, V3, and V5 pre-amp tubes to re-issue Tung Sol 12AX7's and in V4 (Phase inverter slot) changed to a balanced triode re-issue Tung Sol 12AX7. I've got a lot of NOS tubes and this is what worked best!

I changed the rectifier tube to an NOS Philips 5AR4 because I had one that I bought when the price was still reasonable. The JJ 5AR4 is a good option with even the Chinese Shuguang 5AR4 being a better choice than the stock Sovtek. Nothing beats NOS for longevity, but at todays prices you can buy 2-3 JJ's.

Cut the caps @ C3, C5, & C6. Yep, just cut 'em, you don't have to remove or replace them.

Change resistor R15 to a 1.6k
    Change resistor R21 to a 1.1k

Optional: change cap C15 to 2.2uf. I didn't do this one after hearing that the results weren't spectacular and maybe not even desirable. Besides, this mod requires that you pull the circuit board from the amp.

Together with the tube changes, these mods will smooth out the EQ and make the controls more usable and responsive. Takes away all the "excessive brightness" complaints.

The Sovtek 5881's aren't even real 5881's, but that's a seperate hour long discussion. Some of the later production models of the BC 30 came with different tubes. Some folks were happier with these other tubes, but those who've switched to the TS tubes all consistently report the same positive results.

A word on the Lady Luck speakers that come stock in the amp: Several of us began swapping out the speakers, trying many others in our quest to reduce the inherent brightness of this amp. It really wasn't the speakers that were responsible, but instead, the tubes and the basic design of the amps circuit. After the Lady Luck's have a chance to break in, they're well suited to this amp. I put mine back in a while ago and they're not coming out.

IMHO, this amp when set up right is one of the most versatile you'll find, and nothing else comes close in it's price range. All tube driven spring reverb, tube rectification, a switch that allows for 15w class A operation and 30w class A/B, interactive EQ, all in a 2X12 combo amp? I don't know of another amp out there that offers all this under $600.00. And it's built like a tank (weighs almost as much too!).

If you got a good deal on this amp, redgibson, all the better!
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

I practically stole it from guitarcenter.... it was quite cheap when all was said and done. I am a bit shy on cutting caps off a new amp! I will say that the controls seem to be a bit impotent, not much range to them. Maybe I'll cut one cap at a time? :-/ hmm. I would really hate to put it all back together and be back where I started with a dysfunctional / not working /buzzing horrible unrelaible amplifier...

Post Thanks / Like

I practically stole it from guitarcenter.... it was quite cheap when all was said and done. I am a bit shy on cutting caps off a new amp! I will say that the controls seem to be a bit impotent, not much range to them. Maybe I'll cut one cap at a time? :-/ hmm. I would really hate to put it all back together and be back where I started with a dysfunctional / not working /buzzing horrible unrelaible amplifier...
    One caveat to the info I provided above: You have to check which version BC 30 you have. The people at Gibson were monitoring all the mod talk on their website and others and some of the revisions that posters came up with were incorporated in later versions. As mine was a version 1, it needed all the mods that the amp guru's advised. They worked on mine.

In lieu of doing the circuit mods, try some radical EQ settings like turning the treble almost all the wat down and the bass way up with the mid cranked as well. This amp responds totally differently in its stock form compared to all other amps I've used.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it seems to beed eexcessive drastic dailing. I'd like to get it out of my apartment where I could put the gain past 1 on 15watt mode....

Post Thanks / Like

i love the beating dead horse icon and I feel it is appropriate.. but i have one more comment here... I returned the Epi BC30. I really liked it, but reality of hauling it up and down three narrow flights of stairs for every practice was .. spinally brutalizing. I opted for the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe as a replacement, and I'll succinctly say I am quite pleased, and more portable. Just something to consider if anyone else is headed to the store. I think the BC30 would be great if i never had to move it! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

i love the beating dead horse icon and I feel it is appropriate.. but i have one more comment here... I returned the Epi BC30. I really liked it, but reality of hauling it up and down three narrow flights of stairs for every practice was .. spinally brutalizing. I opted for the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe as a replacement, and I'll succinctly say I am quite pleased, and more portable. Just something to consider if anyone else is headed to the store. I think the BC30 would be great if i never had to move it! :-)
    I love the HRDx, but since I just went from a Pro Jr to a Hot Rod, I'm always complaining about how heavy it is! It's all relative.
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amp

Congrats.

The Hot Rod Deluxe is a real good amp in my opinion. I have a special edition one that rocks. Seems more like a real amp. I really like Fender amps and guitars.

I have an awesome Fender Super Champ XD. Really a nice little amp that is loud with the speaker mod and has several Fender amp emulations and decent effects built in.

You will like that HRDx.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, the advantages of living in a one floor house...

I have a universal dolly that zips the amp right out to the garage where it's an easy load into the truck. But, I know how you feel...the BC 30 is 1/2 ton of tube amp weight. Kinda gives me some comfort though, knowing that there's that much iron in the thing.

Post Thanks / Like

That is the one thing I don't miss about my Peavey Triumph 120... a 1x12 combo that weighed about as much as both pieces of my Marshall together... at least it seemed that way.
    Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12