Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on a friend's potential purchase

Post Thanks / Like

As an update, he decided to forego this guitar and bought a new AL-2000 instead. I thought that was the right move.

Out of curiosity, for anyone who has owned both, how does an AL-2000 compare to an Epi LP Standard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default LP's

I'm just about to tune up a brand new AL2000 I bought for my fiance's grandson along with a Peavey Valve King Royal 8; all brand new, 120 for the Royal 8 with an extra set of strings and a Korg auto tuner, 120 out the door.

I'll play the Agile thru a few amps and then play the Epi LP Standard plus top with Seymour Duncans, JB in bridge and 59 in neck; then compare to my great sounding Xavier XV500.

Will be interesting because I'm considering getting an Agile.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duff
    I'm just about to tune up a brand new AL2000 I bought for my fiance's grandson along with a Peavey Valve King Royal 8; all brand new, 120 for the Royal 8 with an extra set of strings and a Korg auto tuner, 120 out the door.

I'll play the Agile thru a few amps and then play the Epi LP Standard plus top with Seymour Duncans, JB in bridge and 59 in neck; then compare to my great sounding Xavier XV500.

Will be interesting because I'm considering getting an Agile.
    Yeah, let me know what you think -- I love those (somewhat) objective side-by-side comparisons.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Close

So far too close to call. Played the AL2000 several times and the Xavier a few times and the Michael Kelly Custom w direct mount Rockfield HB's.

Of these guitars I would say the Michael Kelly sounds best. A fuller tone, more bass; but the other two sound great. The AL2000 seems distinctly brighter probably due to the maple neck but the white body and gold trim look fantastic and the brighter sound is awesome but not like a strat and all three switch positions are quite different with the neck pup sounding very nice and smooth.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duff
    So far too close to call. Played the AL2000 several times and the Xavier a few times and the Michael Kelly Custom w direct mount Rockfield HB's.
    How about playability, quality, bang for buck, etc.?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Comparison

The Xavier was 208 dollars, has a three quarters inch solid maple cap on top of a solid mahogany body with a set mahogany neck and awesome GFS chrunch PAT pickups that really drive the front end of a tube amp.

The Michael Kelly was 600 dollars and has Rockfield direct mount pickups that are great. All mahogany with flame maple red burst top.

All three play great and feel great. There are tonal differences like I said.

Have to compare my Epi LP Standard plus top with Semour Duncans yet. No preconceived ideas on how it will compare yet. Trying to be objective.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12