Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Princeton reverb - sweet!

Thread: Princeton reverb - sweet!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Princeton reverb - sweet!

Nothing wrong here except that I pulled mine out and dusted it off and took it to band rehearsal tonight. What a great sounding little amph. I was on 3 and too loud. Huh?

I replaced the stock speaker years ago with a 10 inch alnico and played it a tiny bit and then put it away because I was gigging and needed a more powerful amph. So I had forgotten what it sounded like. I don't remember it being that loud. Needless to say with a Tone Driver and the EX7 going into it there were some fantastic coming out of it.

I took it to rehearsal because I'm going to sell the amph that I was leaving at the rehearsal space. I'm really glad I got this back out and into action again. It's fun. I've had this since 1977 when I bought it new.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had good luck with bass from my 10" speakers. I would like to hear it.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool! I have never tried a Princeton Reverb, but I know many people love these.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a re-issue and enjoy it a lot. I'd like to try a silver face and an older blackface to see how they compare

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Telewanger
    I have never had good luck with bass from my 10" speakers. I would like to hear it.

Same thing here. Even though I put a better speaker in it it still gets farty when I turn it up. What I did when I was on the road was to plug it in to a 2x12 cabinet as well and that sounded really good without the bass note issues.

Robert
    Jim Campilongo uses one.

Post Thanks / Like

The stock 10" in the PRRI fell apart on the low notes at pretty low volume. I tried an Eminence Copperhead which may have sounded a touch better overall, but still couldn't handle the lows. I switched to a 12" baffle and put in a few different 12"s rated to handle high wattage and still the same thing, again, just a touch better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky
    The stock 10" in the PRRI fell apart on the low notes at pretty low volume. I tried an Eminence Copperhead which may have sounded a touch better overall, but still couldn't handle the lows. I switched to a 12" baffle and put in a few different 12"s rated to handle high wattage and still the same thing, again, just a touch better.

Someone told me that changing the rectifier tube helps. I did some time ago. It's not perfect but it's certainly not like it used to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Those little Princetons are sweet amps.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

My Princeton 65' is a great sounding amp too, when Kodiak was in for Thanksgiving he kinda took a liken to it. I came across a used Fender amp today in the pawn shop may check it out a little more this week. I think it was a 112?

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried a few rectifier tubes but not much change.
    What did make a difference was finding a Sound Enhancer on eBay.
    It's a tilt back amp stand that's hollow. It captures the sound going out the back of a combo amp and redirects to the front through what resembles a horn. It made a great improvement. http://www.soundenhancer.com/
    I also ordered a upgrade for the output transformer that should arrive soon ~.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky
    I've tried a few rectifier tubes but not much change.
    What did make a difference was finding a Sound Enhancer on eBay.
    It's a tilt back amp stand that's hollow. It captures the sound going out the back of a combo amp and redirects to the front through what resembles a horn. It made a great improvement. http://www.soundenhancer.com/
    I also ordered a upgrade for the output transformer that should arrive soon ~.
    Cool, how much did the soundenhancer cost?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I paid $99 for it but shipping was $55 or so. It's light, but buky, so it required a sizable box. The manufacturer has ceased building them as far as I know. They were rather expensive, I think well over $300, maybe as much as $399. They have one listed on eBay now for $149. but it's a model for a larger amp.

From their site

BASICS
    The Enhancer™ is a rear loaded horn cabinet for a removable speaker assembly, using the existing speaker already mounted in the combo amplifier. Redirecting the sound emanating from the backside of your open back combo amp, expanding volume and frequency response. It also lifts and tilts the otherwise small combo amp cabinet for better sound projection.

CONCEPT
    A speaker is an electro-acoustic transducer that converts electrical audio signals at its input to audible sound waves at its output. These waves are produced from both front and rear sides of the speaker cone as it moves back and forth. The design of the open back cabinet allows as much as half of the speakers sound to escape from the back of the cabinet, thus wasting some of the combo amp’s power and tone.

The Enhancer is engineered to horn-load your combo amps speaker greatly improving efficiency. Cone excursion is greatly reduced for a given amount of sound pressure so distortion is also greatly reduced. The cone becomes easier to accelerate so transient response is improved. There is lower stress on the amplifier, so dynamics and headroom are increased. Cone movement is also damped so resonances are reduced and there is more realism to the sound. The Enhancer also helps to “reclaim” the secondary sound source emanating from the rear side of the open back speaker cabinet and redirect it forward.

With the Enhancer in place both the primary sound from the amp's speaker and the secondary sound from the Enhancer’s mouth are combined. More sound energy is directed forward and the output and tone quality of any combo amp is vastly improved.

HISTORY
    Where did the Enhancer come from? A guitar player invented the Enhancer, of course. At first glance the Enhancer appears remarkably simple, but like many good ideas a considerable amount of engineering, research and development have gone into its patented design.

5 Sizes Available to accommodate a wide range of combo amps.

Call for pricing Information and a dealer near you.

Toll Free
    866-367-4563
    Direct 281-367-4561

Post Thanks / Like

I had a '65 BF Princeton Reverb with an EV10M speaker. I bought it from a buddy for $250 back in the 80s. The amp came with its own Anvil case. It was louder and cleaner than you'd expect with the EV. I ended up selling it back to my buddy for what I bought it for. He missed it and I was living in an apartment at the time and the amp was too loud.