Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Inescapability

Thread: Inescapability

Post Thanks / Like

Post Inescapability

Back in July of 2007 I donated bone marrow (specifically bone marrow stem cells) for a guy I was matched up with through the national marrow donor program. Everything went well, and he was doing great through the first year. I met him and his wife in September of last year, and he had just started coming off of his meds.

I got a call from his wife yesterday that he passed away in March of this year. She didn't know how to mention that to me, so I think that's why she had waited until now. He went into the hospital around Christmas of last year due to graft vs. host and just never really bounced back.

It's too bad, and it's odd to be so closely connected to someone who dies like this. It's one thing to lose a relative, but never having lost a sibling or parent, this is something different for me. In the end, it's fortunate that he got another year and change because of the transplant, but I still feel really...sad.

Maybe it's still sinking in.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I feel for you, Eric, but you should be happy as well. You did something for a fellow human, and he benefited from it, as well as from knowing you.
    For that, I am happy to know you, even if it's just on a website.
    I feel fortunate.
    Last edited by oldguy; December 10th, 2009 at 01:12 PM.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on what the old guy said,and thanks for sharing and being an example for the rest of us Eric.God Bless Ya! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    I'm feel for you, Eric, but you should be happy as well. You did something for a fellow human, and he benefited from it, as well as from knowing you.
    For that, I am happy to know you, even if it's just on a website.
    I feel fortunate.
    Agreed. I salute you, Eric!

Sorry for the loss, my friend. Ya just never know.
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've heard about bone marrow extractions, I have to take my hat off to you, Eric. I think that's very commendable. I know that's not why you posted this thread, but it still holds true.

I'm very sorry for your loss. That would be very difficult, I imagine. I'm sure that your gift was appreciated very much, no matter what the outcome was.

-Sean
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, talk about a gift... Life itself. Precious.
    As a former paramedic/firefighter, I was lucky to save a few lives now and then, but never by such a sacrifice. It takes a real hero to do what you did, so never forget that.

Even though the results didn't keep him alive for several years as hoped for, the donation gave this man his life back. His family and friends shared your gift as well. Look at the pyramid of goodness you made and how it affected so many others, including inspiring internet pals like us.

I know that doesn't take much of the pain and feelings of loss away, but sometimes all we have to get through it are those shreds of goodness. It's OK to feel sad. I pity the people I know that don't feel at all.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Eric, you provided a chance for that guy to extend his life with his family and friends and, for them, with him. It didn't turn out to last as long as was hoped, but it doesn't detract from the fact that matching compatible marrow donors is literally finding a needle in a haystack. It was indeed a rare blessing you were able to bestow.

I've been on the marrow donor registry for 4 years. Will I ever get the call? And if I do, will I be healthy enough, worthy as you were, to provide the gift?

I'm sorry and saddened for you, while admiring you for your courage and humanity. Peace, Eric.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't add anything to what has already been said. Good on ya for making such a huge difference in someones life.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for starting my day out right Eric, and reminding me that there really are good caring people out there who are willing to sacrifice.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Eric, your gift extended this man's time with family & friends, and what could be more precious than that? Temper your grief with the assurance that your donation made this extra time possible.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the nice words. I appreciate it.

In truth, the actual procedure wasn't too bad. You take the drug Neupogen for 5 days to bring stem cells into the blood stream, then do something like a platelet donation/dialysis (i.e. they recirculate the blood and isolate the cells) for about 3-4 hours on the actual day and you're done. The whole drilling-into-the-hip process is not used too much anymore.

Thanks for helping me see the other sides to the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner