Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
If this isn't the best LP tone in the world....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If this isn't the best LP tone in the world....

Post Thanks / Like

Default If this isn't the best LP tone in the world....

...point me to something better. YIKES!!!

Recorded in mid-Oct. before a show in Des Moines, IA, so this is very current stuff. Just posted by Premier Guitar yesterday. There are two more vids recorded in the same session--one for his guitars and one for his effects.

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

You are 100% correct on that one. Ever since I got my copy of his Live DVD at the Royal Albert Hall, that tone has been stuck in my head. I found I have been only playing my Gibby LPs through my Marshall. I took out my $1500 Fender Deluxe Strat and played it for 1 minute and put it away. I use a little bit of Radial Tonebone hot british, and a very slight delay with the DD20. A little fulldrive, or OCD for overdrive and man I love it.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, that sounds great.

Here is another guy with magnificent LP tone.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Awesome, that sounds great.

Great tone and Hilden does some excellent equipment demos on Youtube.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

That was a cool clip, thanks for posting

"...sounds like Eric Johnson, well duh!" Classic...

Also ties in nicely with that thread about how you use delay. That little bit of slap back really adds space to the tone.

Post Thanks / Like

I do like his sound. I learned something, "165", that I'm going to try right away. along with a few other tidbits. Thanks for posting that.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Spud I'm guessing you have a fancy digital delay huh

To set mine to 165ms would require a signal generator and a 'scope. I might just turn the knob till it sounds nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Here's a bit of sweet tone worth listening to, even if it isn't from a Les Paul...

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the last comment about Eric Johnson ..

Awesome tone, definately not a cheap setup!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    ...point me to something better. YIKES!!!

Recorded in mid-Oct. before a show in Des Moines, IA, so this is very current stuff. Just posted by Premier Guitar yesterday. There are two more vids recorded in the same session--one for his guitars and one for his effects.
    Very nice, that delay coulda been left out though.

However I truly dislike these Youtube videos where people just talk and talk incessanltly and almost never actually play the instrument.

I guess I've spoken too much in my own sound clip videos as well but I gotta try to remember to keep the chatter to a minimum. Nothing is as annoying as waiting for 2 minutes for a clip to load and then listen to some dude mumble about his gear and whatever for another two and then finally get 10 seconds of sound example when you're pretty much ready to shoot yourself already. Jeez! Why can't they just play the thing keep the piehole stretching to a minimum.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Yeah that's Gregor Hilden, who is - talkin in american dimensions - nearly a neighbour of mine, living in Münster.

He has a real great private guitar collection and sells some diamond from time to time.

Look at his other youtube demo videos - he has a great tone on every type of guitar.

Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the other clips do sound good, but I think Bonamassa has the best sound of all of them. I may be thinking that since I saw him live last summer and still remember how awesome his live sound was, but his rig...even on a Youtube video...is still the best IMO.
    And deaa.........some people are interested in the gig rig rundown, as in every piece of equipment, to know what's being used, hear it explained by the man himself. I got lots of nice shots of Joe's equipment from the front row last summer, with the exception of his pedals, which I couldn't see, as the stage was quite a bit higher than where I was standing. It was nice to get a glimpse of it in this video. I know what you mean about gear demos where the person never really plays, but in this case (Bonamassa) there are bunches of videos of him explaining his gear, and plenty more of him playing venues, and still more soundclips of his songs, both live and studio. So yeah, I was glad to hear him explain the gear, and just play it a bit. I know how he sounds, it's interesting to see how he gets that sound (Eric Johnson...hehehe...what a great sense of humor he has).
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Joe s tone is so good and dispite the amps change all around the world , his tone is mostly sounding the same ....

He is usin different brands of amps in his 4 heads set up but the Silver Jubilee seems to travel worldwide with him..

In this thread here he is replyin about a good substitute for the Jubilee..

http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12213

For those interested ,here s Joe s Posts and topics on his forum..

http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/profile.php?id=58
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Here's a bit of sweet tone worth listening to, even if it isn't from a Les Paul...

That is a humbucker guitar, just not a Gibby. It is a Fender Robben Ford ultra. Cira 1996. They came with Seymour Duncan HBs I have one of the later ones that was put out as a Squier. It has the Duncan Design pickups, and sounds pretty good. He plays that guitar on one of his instructional tapes. It is a sweet guitar. They were one of the first chambered solid bodies out there.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Vood........this guy's no slouch, either. Of course, he's probably got a million dollars worth of gear there.

Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    ....Of course, he's probably got a million dollars worth of gear there.
    That's probably not all that much of an exaggeration! I wouldn't be surprised if that ultra-rare '59 LP/Trainwreck combo was worth close to half a mil. I'll bet at least $300K....

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

That's probably not all that much of an exaggeration! I wouldn't be surprised if that ultra-rare '59 LP/Trainwreck combo was worth close to half a mil. I'll bet at least $300K....
    He says in the vid he's had them for years. One of those people who bought the right thing at the right time. Pretty awesome player, too. He really knows how to work the touch attack and ride the vol. controls and switch.
    Joe's still 'da man, tho.
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Joe's still 'da man, tho.
    I agree, though that's obviously s-o-o-o-o subjective. This amp demo made me pull out the Albert Hall concert DVD and listen to that again. Not only a fabulous performance, but probably the finest recorded sound I've ever heard on a live music DVD.

Joe is playing here in Albany on April 20 at a really nice concert venue called "The Egg", which is part of the NYS state capitol complex. They have two theatres there, and he'll be playing at the larger one, though it's still fairly small with a seating capacity of just under 1,000. Already have my tickets!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Joe is playing here in Albany on April 20 at a really nice concert venue called "The Egg", which is part of the NYS state capitol complex. They have two theatres there, and he'll be playing at the larger one, though it's still fairly small with a seating capacity of just under 1,000. Already have my tickets!
    That should be a great show. OT, but I really loved it in the related guitar video, when he was commenting on the untrimmed string.......left it that way to use it on the theremin! Classic!
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast