Thread: My attempt at more drive...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default My attempt at more drive...

Improvising/just messing around riffs, a sort-of bluesy-based thang on my TM-10...I usually don't use huge amounts of drive but here the Transparent OD is almost at half gain and the amp is on clean but crunchy, also almost half gain.

Can't imagine ever using more drive than this...

Well, as I say in the annotations...it's nowhere near how my Ceriatone sounds live, but I do love them techies. For home playing, they be killers!
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, that sounds good! Which guitar is that you're playing?
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks! It's a frankenstrat I 'built' myself, except the neck was built by a luthier friend. It's a sharp V cut on bass side and more of a C on treble side and changes to a more C also going up the scale; completely custom and asymmetrical in other words, but not thin. The body is based on a nondescript swamp ash body I shaved up to 1/2 inch off the sides to make it smaller, and thinner too, and various mods like the gibson switch on upper horn etc, and of course EMG pickups to name a few.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Thanks! It's a frankenstrat I 'built' myself, except the neck was built by a luthier friend. It's a sharp V cut on bass side and more of a C on treble side and changes to a more C also going up the scale; completely custom and asymmetrical in other words, but not thin. The body is based on a nondescript swamp ash body I shaved up to 1/2 inch off the sides to make it smaller, and thinner too, and various mods like the gibson switch on upper horn etc, and of course EMG pickups to name a few.
    Is that the one you want to relocate the bridge pickup on? I don't see why......I think it sounds great the way it is!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Deeaa You obviously put quite a bit of thought into your guitar. Sounds like some nice mods and wood work. I am curious do you have a functioning trem or maybe it is blocked? Great sound you have there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Nice job Deeaa You obviously put quite a bit of thought into your guitar. Sounds like some nice mods and wood work. I am curious do you have a functioning trem or maybe it is blocked? Great sound you have there.
    Thanks, that comment sure made me smile, as I did indeed think long and hard about most anything I dislike about strats and then went ahead and made the mods to remove those traits. I later did the Flying V treatment and on that one I rushed a bit, I hardly changed anything except the neck is completely different...but now that I've played it for a year, I wish I had done the same slight scaling down of the body on it and relocated the output jack to upper horn via a strat-style slanted jack. Well maybe I'll just re-do it some day when it starts to bug me too much :-)

But to answer your question, the trem is not blocked, but it's got a full set of strings and no arm attached...it does work, but you need a heavy hand to press it down. I don't use it, however. What tremolo I need I get by simply bending the neck hard ;-)
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Is that the one you want to relocate the bridge pickup on? I don't see why......I think it sounds great the way it is!
    Yeah, that's the one...and yeah, it does...only it's quite a bit darker than my other axes, which is especially notable with the Ceriatone rig I use with the band. But, indeed, maybe it's better suited with the techie then.

But, yeah, I've been leaning towards not modding it any further...I have a couple of axes I can use with the band anyway, so maybe I'll just play this at home, or indeed come up with new amp settings to counteract the bigger bottom end :-)
    Dee