Thread: Mic one amp to another

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mic one amp to another

Seeing I have a Solid State Modeling amp and a little tube amp I was wondering what would happen if I mic'ed the one to the other... WoooHooo... I found it works out pretty well for certain type sounds... I Set a Cyber-Champ up with Chorus and Mic'ed it over to a 5 watt tube amp only a foot or two away.. which seems best into the Microphone input offered on this amp... What I achieved I guess is a Reverb/delay which at low levels has a very warm feeling to it... I was more or less doing this for Pink Floyd type songs Breathe/Time etc.. and they really bounce out to me now...

Question: Is this used much? Micing one amp to another? On inputs of olde amps..Hi - Low and the Microphone Input... what makes the difference between them?

If you have an extra amp.. give this a try if you haven't.. pretty cool sound added to what ya already have in front of you...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll bet you George Martin did this with the Beatles. In fact I think I read somewhere that he actually DID do this with Paul's bass on Taxman.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc
    On inputs of olde amps..Hi - Low and the Microphone Input... what makes the difference between them?
    I use the Hi input on my Yamaha 2x12. I never used to notice a difference which input I used with my acoustic or my bass, but with my electric, the Hi input is definately brighter/punchier than the Lo.

My olde Peavey PA has 2 inputs per channel as well. The intent is to match up the microphone or pickup you are using to the appropriate input which in turn compensates or optimizes the particular charactaristics of said mic/pup and gives you a more even input per channel for mixing purposes.

In the case of my EXP, the pups are supposedly high output so into the Hi I go. If (when) I get my hollowbody artcore/335 clone etc. the pups will likely have a mellower jazzier tone and I'm guessing will sound better in the Lo input.

I'm not very good with the technical - I understand the theory, just don't have the skills to articulate it very well - hope this helps
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    I'm not very good with the technical - I understand the theory, just don't have the skills to articulate it very well - hope this helps
    Well..that was kinda technical.. I looked at the layout of the amp and the first resistor on all three inputs had the same rating... so I was lost as to why they would be different.. then I get lost following the little lines with my little brain...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.