Thread: How to: Quote specific lines in Post?

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to: Quote specific lines in Post?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I would like to know how to quote a specific line in a posting. When I hit the Quote button I get the whole posting.
    I tried highlighting the line I want to quote then hit the quote button and I get the whole thing.
    I know it isn't a system problem. I just don't know how to do it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Brian
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Sorry for the dumb question, but I would like to know how to quote a specific line in a posting.
    Just like i did here by erasing the stuff around except the line you want to keep in the Quote section
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry the question, I would to how quote specific in posting. When hit Quote I the posting.
    I highlighting line want quote hit quote and get whole .
    I it a problem. I don't how do.
    Thanks advance.
    Brian
    You will now learn the internets young padawan.

Like Blaze says - just highlight and erase to leave the quote you want behind.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the dumb question, but I would like to know how to quote a specific line in a posting.
    Or did

When I hit the Quote button I get the whole posting.
    I tried highlighting the line I want to quote then hit the quote button and I get the whole thing.
    you mean like this
    I know it isn't a system problem. I just don't know how to do it.
    Thanks in advance.
    in order to break it up in sections?

Okay, assuming this is what you are looking to do.

Remove the bottom quote notation or cut it and put it at the end of the first statement you want to address (note, the first statement should start with the existing beginning quotation, but not absolutely necessary). Then right your response. Take the next statement you want and highlight it and then hit the quotation button, followed by your response or comment.

I know it is not the best instructions, but read it through and work with it.

I sometimes open a second window of the same post and cut the sections I want to address and paste them into the first window and then use the highlight and click quote button.
    Last edited by just strum; December 19th, 2009 at 11:41 AM.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. In the past I have just deleted the portion of the post that I didn't need. I though there must be a more efficient way of doing this. Back in the 60s, I graduated in Computer Science/Accounting, and went into the accounting field. Wouldn't it be nice if we could highlight the area to quote then hit the quote button only getting what we wanted to quote, or even put quotation marks around the portion we wanted to quote.
    OR use your lightsabre to cute away the supurflous verbage. OBI WAN
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

In the past I have just deleted the portion of the post that I didn't need.
    What I just did was to hit the "reply" button, then I scrolled down to your previous post - highlighted the text I wanted to quote - hit "copy" - then went up into my post composition window and hit the little "quote" icon - then pasted the cut text between the quotes.

OR use your lightsabre to cut away the supurflous verbage.
    That's kind of weird thing to do because it will mess up your computer. Don't ask how I know.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Since my lightsabre's dilythium crystals are low I will probably just delete the unwanted verbage. Thanks for the replies guys.
    Now back to my Holsten Festbock!
    The Blues is alright!