Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Cheap Guitars That Play Great

Thread: Cheap Guitars That Play Great

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cheap Guitars That Play Great

Have you ever gone out to shop for a really nice brand name guitar and end up coming home with a cheap guitar that sounds and plays as good as your Gibson or favorite Fender guitar.

I went guitar shopping and was playing American made guitars all day. I normally only buy American stuff. I looked over in one store and saw this Tele copy. Since it was in reach, I grabbed it to see just how awful it was going to be. To my surprise, it plays better than my Les Paul Custom and my Fenders. I looked at the back and it said "Made in Korea". I put it back in the shelf and went to several other music stores. Towards the end of the day, I went back to the pawn shop where the Tele copy guitar was and picked it up again. I couldn't believe that after all of the expensive guitars that I played all day, that I ended up back in that pawn shop.

The price tag was $180.00. It was brand new. I have had it now for several years and still can't believe how great it is compared to my other guitars.

Here is a video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7wFkt6XOwM

Post Thanks / Like

Don't discount Samick guitars. They're really not bad instruments and in many cases a heck of a lot better than what's coming out of China.

They make guitars for several brand names that escape me at this moment.

Very nice sounding guitar you have. Enjoyed your video too.

Post Thanks / Like

Heck, yeah.........chik--ken------pik-ken goodness...mmm......mmMMM.
    Samick makes some great guitars. I had a semi-hollow but never warmed up to it, and sold it. It was a very well made and beautiful guitar, however.
    I just could not bond with it.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I think that I will build my next guitar. There are so many places to get necks and bodies now for decent prices.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=MichaelE]Don't discount Samick guitars. They're really not bad instruments and in many cases a heck of a lot better than what's coming out of China.
    QUOTE]

More than "really not bad", Korean and (yes, really) Chinese guitars can be excellent instruments. Peerless guitars in Korea for example are amazing. And actually what's coming out of China these days are some quality guitars for companies like Ibanez, Hagstrom, Eastwood (some China, some Korea) etc. Many Korean comapnies have moved production to China as well. "Made in China" can mean anything from a toy guitar to a professional instrument nowadays.

And what does MIC really mean? Many companies, like Hagstrom, design and import alot of the parts/materials in their MIC guitars. Of course there are plenty of cheap, crap $30 starter strats out there but one shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that's all that comes out of China.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently picked up a Gold Top P90 Les Paul from a company called Vintage guitars. They are based in Great Britain and are made in China and Distributed by John Hornby Skewes company. They come with Wilkinson bridges and tuners and Wilkinson pickups. The "street" price was 429 Can.
    I had a couple of buzzing frets and had a Fret job done on it. The cost was 100, and that included new strings and a set up.
    Now it plays as good as any of my Gibson LPs. I really like the headstock treatment and the logo is quite nice.
    May not come in some peoples "Cheap guitar" category but when you pay over 2 grand for a Gibson Gold Top they are a bargain.

The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Zman. Tell me, are the logo and ornament inlay or decal?

Post Thanks / Like

The Epiphone L.P.Signature, which I recently sold, was one of the best built guitars I have ever played. ( I still have an original Gibson version from '73)
    So was the DeArmond X-155 I owned, also Korean made. I had a PRS SE II and the same was true of it, just perfectly crafted.

A few weeks back I got a brand new Gibson Johnny A model. It's a rather pricey (to me) custom shop model. It's kind of rare and there are not really any shops with high end gear within driving distance of me, so I purchased it from a great shop I have done business with in another state and the guitar was shipped to me. I never had the chance to play or see one in person.

Now this is not meant to sound sarcastic, but when I first opened the case and picked it up I thought to myself that Gibson Custom Shop had finally built a guitar as precisely made as my Korean made Epiphone Les Paul Signature hollow body.
    Enjoy your new guitar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Telewanger
    Have you ever gone out to shop for a really nice brand name guitar and end up coming home with a cheap guitar that sounds and plays as good as your Gibson or favorite Fender guitar.

I went guitar shopping and was playing American made guitars all day. I normally only buy American stuff. I looked over in one store and saw this Tele copy. Since it was in reach, I grabbed it to see just how awful it was going to be. To my surprise, it plays better than my Les Paul Custom and my Fenders. I looked at the back and it said "Made in Korea". I put it back in the shelf and went to several other music stores. Towards the end of the day, I went back to the pawn shop where the Tele copy guitar was and picked it up again. I couldn't believe that after all of the expensive guitars that I played all day, that I ended up back in that pawn shop.

The price tag was $180.00. It was brand new. I have had it now for several years and still can't believe how great it is compared to my other guitars.

Here is a video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7wFkt6XOwM

Very nice axe!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

The Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster is a great playing and sounding cheap guitar.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Telewanger
    All the time. In the early 90's U.S. made Fenders (at least those we got here) were reeeeallly bad compared to mexican ones. Of pro players who visited our shop looking for a strat, 9 out of 10 left with a mex one and a set of better pickups quite often. Even upon just visual inspection the woods were better on those. Gibsons of that time were very good, though.

Of late, U.S. Fenders I've played have been absolutely top notch guitars though, and now it's been Gibson's turn to be bad. I've come accross some really terrible U.S. gibsons. I bought me an Explorer a few years back and comparing a Gibson and an Epiphone one in the store there was simply no contest, the Epi one was much better right down to the quality of lacquer finish.

The real prizes can, IMO, be found in those 80's less known brands - sometimes you come accross a guitar in 100-300 buck range that is simply superb. Like my ole Charvette; 120 bucks and the best neck I ever tried anywhere, period. 15 years old, thin like a leaf and doesn't even ever need adjustments, straight as a razor in any weather - simply incredible.

Too bad these 'finds' are getting harder to locate every day :-(

But yeah...it happens a lot. I have owned a lot of those pawnshop prizes over the years. Also on basses - one of the nicest basses I have played was a dirt-cheap Tanglewood 5-string---it just put 10 times the more expensive basses to shame even in studios. I used to play it thru an old Yamaha SS bass amp and the low end was so solid and round yet clear one studio owner tried to buy them off me for five times the money I had paid :-)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

im thinking about buying the Vintage V100 in Sunburst, looks nice.

gibson lp knockoff, pretty cheap compared to the real thing. Similar to ZMAN's.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

First you need to define "Cheap". Under $300, check out Squiers, Agiles, SX, used Michael Kelly's, many of the 70's MIJ guitars are outstanding.

And yes, you can find many gems in pawn shops and on CL. Just keep your eyes and ears open.
    -- Joe --
    Guitars:
    Gibson: '08 Longhorn DC HS
    Martin: '09 OM-1
    Ovation: '07 Elite-T 1868T; '95 Celebrity Deluxe CC257; '95 Balladeer 1751 12-string
    Fender: '91 Stratocaster Plus; '69 Mustang Competition; '08 Squier Telecaster CV50
    Other: '77 Bradley Les Paul Custom; '03 Michael Kelly Patriot Q
    Bass: '08 Dean EABC
    Effects:
    MXR Dyna Comp; Dunlop Crybaby; DOD TR3R; Ibanez MT10; Rockman Soloist
    Amps:
    Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr.; Peavey Studio Pro 110; Tascam MP-GT1

Post Thanks / Like

$95 Dean Vendetta. Plays great for what it is. Straight neck, no sharp frets, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I always liked that finish on your Dean.
    $95 is cheap-cheap for a guitar that good!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    Very nice Zman. Tell me, are the logo and ornament inlay or decal?
    Sorry I missed your question. They are a very nice inlay, with a mother of pearl look to it. Actually a really nice feel to the whole instrument. They also have a Vintage Icon series that is slightly distressed and looks like a well worn 30 year old guitar.
    They also have a "Lemon Drop" that is version of the Peter Green/Gary Moore Les Paul with the out of phase pickups.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezjunkie
    im thinking about buying the Vintage V100 in Sunburst, looks nice.

gibson lp knockoff, pretty cheap compared to the real thing. Similar to ZMAN's.
    The only issue I had with mine was the fret levelling. If you can try one out first you might be able to get one with no issues. I was looking for a GT and they only had one. The level cost me 100 dollars but my tech did a really nice set up and it has a lovely low action.
    The humbuckers are Wilkinsons as are the rest of the hardware which is not too shabby. What is the street price in England for the V100?
    The Blues is alright!