Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top three guitar misunderstandings/myths for 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker

Black is the coolest sounding color..................................
    that's not a myth its the truth. red sports cars are faster and black guitars sound cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

Time to call the MythBusters!
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wingsdad
    ...the ultimate key to tone lies in the player's hand technique. And at that, probably most important is controlling pick or finger attack.

To test this, take the exact same rig, with everything set the same. Player 1 plays a passage. Hands guitar & pick to Player 2 to play exact same passage. The two players may extract totally different 'tone' simply by techinque.
    True story...

I used to attempt to play the violin for several years. I paid $350 for a used German violin, which for me was quite a bit of money at the time. But the better I got, the harsher it started sounding to my ears. First I thought it was the cheap brazilwood bow so I bought a much more expensive pernambuco bow. This seemed to do the trick, for a short time anyway. But still I became convinced that I needed a better violin. Then I met my wife who is a professional violinist. She has an old Italian (worth considerably more than $350) violin that brought tears to my eyes when she played it. Yes! Of course such beautiful tone should come out of such an instrument. I briefly played and it thought it sounded wonderful (though very badly played).
    I needed something like this one.
    Then she picked up my cheap German. The sound that came out of that instrument when she played, convinced me that the violin wasn't really for me. It was beautiful. It occured to me that the only way to afford such great sound was through years of dedication, practice and talent that I didn't possess.

And while guitars are much more forgiving instruments I'm still rather certain that the best tone comes from practiced fingers and souls possessed by the music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rkwrenn
    My #1 myth would be:

Buying your way to good playing.

Cheers
    I agree. GAS'ing to play more than pay.
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12