Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NGD: $50 pawn shop Squier Tele Custom

Thread: NGD: $50 pawn shop Squier Tele Custom

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default NGD: $50 pawn shop Squier Tele Custom

OK, new to me, anyway. I've been GASing for an HH Tele style guitar lately. I ran across this beat up Squier Tele Custom HH that had a $179 price tag , but was 50% off for Christmas. Everything was loose... the input jack, the knobs, and the selector switch was inside the chamber with tape holding the nut and washer in place (see photo). It looked like a basket case. I was about to walk away when I spotted the Seymour Duncan pickups.

OK, let's plug it in to a Champ they had and see if it works at all. Yep, the pots and switch work, and after a bit of tuning, the tone was pretty good, even if the old strings are black from corrosion. I tell the clerk that $85 still seems high since everything looked so messed up. She tells the manager, and they drop it to $50, but with no return policy. I'm playing my best poker face, knowing that all the guitar needs is some TLC, and "reluctantly" agree to the price.

After tearing it down at home, I tighten the tuner peg nuts, cleaned up the nut, tightened the pots and jack, reinstalled the selector switch, inspected the wiring, and replaced the strings and pot knobs. I cleaned up the body and fretboard, and find only a few deep buckle rash scratches in back and pick wear on the guard, plus the usual small nicks. I still have a little fine adjusting to do, but it sounds great now and feels very solid! It is a 2003 Indonesian Squier, per the serial number.

Oh, and those Seymour Duncan's are SH-6 distortions, which run about $75 each new. They are too hot for my needs, so I'll consider trading them for some PAF style pickups. Merry Christmas to me!

Before:

After:

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, congrats on the great score!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice..............for $50...............even nicer!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

While I am a purist when it comes to Tele's and the whole thought of humbuckers in one makes me dizzy....I say CONGRATS on a great pawnshop find. They are out there to be had daily.....we just have to get out and find them :-)
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz
    While I am a purist when it comes to Tele's and the whole thought of humbuckers in one makes me dizzy....I say CONGRATS on a great pawnshop find. They are out there to be had daily.....we just have to get out and find them :-)
    I understand the pure Tele thing. For a standard style Tele, I'll be picking the fruit higher up in the tree! (MIM or better) Now, if I had a winning lotto ticket, a Texas Customs or a Custom Shop Deluxe Tele would be at the top of the tree.

I've been needing an afordable HH guitar, and the 25" scale, string-thru, maple neck was just what I've been wanting. Besides, the Tele headstock makes me weak in the knees!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Those are some of the best Tele's out there for all-around guitaring .........
    as in "they can do more than one thing"........including a pretty good Les Paul imitation. The heavy ones + string-through + humbuckers can really rock!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

SCORE!

Man, you just bought 2 nice pups at a discount and got a free guitar.

Merry Christmas.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a whole buncha' gratz to ya' TIG!!
    Fantastic find and TLC work on your part. The surprise
    in the Duncans is a really cool uncovered treasure. Even
    if at this point or personal taste have them sittin' in a
    box... You'll have an opportunity to "mean" somethin' up
    somewhere down the line... Too cool!!!
    WTG!

Post Thanks / Like

Dayum! Now that's a good deal. Merry Christmas to you indeed.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Awesome. I need to find me some pawn shops!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice find. I'd consider dropping these p'uppies in there if you want to ditch the Duncs and give it more Tele-tone.

I'd like to find one of those at such a steal!!!
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

getting a tele is high on my want list. I just haven't gotten around to buying one yet. I keep saying I'm gonna build one up next, but then someone will want me to mod something for them, then something else really cool comes along. good find.