Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
1960?

Thread: 1960?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1960?

Hello All and Happy New Year, Recently on a show on the history chanel (pawnstars) a guy who said he used to tour with bands such as triumph and others was trying to pawn a (what he thought was a 1960) les paul, he wanted $25000 for it! the guitar was quite used (still beautiful) and he did'nt claim any famous attachments to it, so being that I'm not a guitar expert, even close! why such a heafty asking price? was 1960 special, and if so why?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I saw that episode. I love that show. I think the reason those old ones are worth so much, is that they are so rare.

Post Thanks / Like

$25,000 for a '60 Les Paul might well be a bargain. The Holy Grail of LP's is a '59/60 Les Paul Standard, sunburst. Got one of those in the closet in mint shape, with lots of flame maple and you are looking at a cool $350,000 US. A '59/60 LP Custom has a book of $100,000 +/-.

What makes 'em worth that much??? Because people are willing to pay.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evenkeel
    What makes 'em worth that much??? Because people are willing to pay.
    Specifically, rich collectors and famous musicians. The rest of us just drool over the photos....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Specifically, rich collectors and famous musicians. The rest of us just drool over the photos....
    Or are practical and think that it is outrageous.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got one of Gibsons sunburst Les Paul guitars its a 1960 and its the o.s. reissue and its the best Les Paul Ive played and Ive played mine side by side with some of the historics and in my opinion it sounded better .

Went to a store which had about 5 or 6 of the historics just about all different finishes and went with a open mind if there was going to be one that sounded better than mine it was coming along with me home but it was not to be so Im sticking with what Ive got .

They all sounded fine looked great yes but I just prefer the one here .
    Last edited by g6120; December 30th, 2009 at 05:29 AM.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

This might be why they command such high prices.
    "Ironically the Les Pauls of the late 1950s were not really all that popular at the time. Gibson only made about 1700 Sunburst Les Paul between 1958 and 1960. The reason for this was the humbucking pickups and solid mahagony body with maple top produced lots of sustain and a mellow tone. This was good for jazz player, except jazz player tended to use archtop electric/acoustics, not solid body guitars. Yet the Les Paul's smaller and solid body might have appeal to rock and roll players, except the rock and roll guitar sound (and country sound) of the 1950s was brighter (for which a Fender Strat or Tele would be better). So the Les Paul Sunburst had few fans during the 1950s. It wasn't until the British blues/rock invasion of the mid/late 1960s that suddenly the Les Paul became popular."
    From a fairly interesting article. Some good pictures as well.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/lpsun.html
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

good read ZMAN. nice pics too.

when it comes to guitars, and really anything considered collectible, its hard to actually put a price tag on them. it's really worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. I see rusty old 73-87 chevy trucks for sale all the time for 3 and 4k, sometimes with no engine because they are a poular body style even today. don't get me wrong, I like the body style, but I bought a 79 ford F100 with a 351 and straight body for $500. I remember in the early 90's when a Griffey jr. card would run you 70, 80, and 90 bux. now that same card can be bought for 15. it's the nature of the beast.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you on that one, and I really think, like the collector car market, this economic downturn has affected prices as well. There are still those out there who have lots of disposable income and always wanted a Les Paul, so why not a really rare one!
    I am a member over at the Les Paul forum so I have a feel for the real purists who would give a kidney for a real 58, 59 or 60.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine (an "older" session guy who's been on a ton of albums and wishes to remain anonymous) has an all original '58 Les Paul that he bought new in '58 and is still in great shape. It has been appraised at $165,000. He laughs at that saying that it has been one of his working guitars since '58 and he still uses it when he needs it.

I make a point to play it every time I visit him.

Prices like that make sense only to collectors.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

remember that episode it was a mid 70's and only appraised at $3000(the guy kept it)
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Or are practical and think that it is outrageous.
    AMEN.
    "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift that's why they call it the present. Live in the now. Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's an experience."

Guitar: ST-Special Strat
    Amp: GA-10