Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Theory...now or later

Post Thanks / Like

Soulstress, Like old guy said, keep that guitar in your hands and try things. Most of the time I use tab to songs I like and use audacity to play along as I learn the songs. The times I just play without tab or songs I like, I just play scales and listen to the sounds the guitar makes. I can find notes in different places just with my ears now. And since I've learned a lot of the major chords I can tell what some of the notes are. I am now ready to start the theory route. I feel comfortable with the instrument, I can play along with many songs I like, and I'm at the plateau that others have mentioned. I also try to watch videos of players I like and try to pick up parts of their style. Let the music pass through your soul and don't get discouraged, you will get better, I promise.

Post Thanks / Like

My jump from classical piano to guitar was pretty simple except for all the other instruments played in between I never got good at.Did pick up theory when playing keyboards as it was required at the time,like OG I just wanted to play the things a pro was showing me and did although admittedly it might have been easier if I asked the same guy to teach me to read too.transposing theory from keyboards to guitar can be tough but is absolutely possible as is learning by ear which was the case here.fortunately I was blessed with a good one.still get stumped now and then but never ever entertained the idea of quitting < not an option open for discussion
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

Learning theory can be a blessing or a hindrance, up to you how you approach it. Theory can show you the basics but music comes from the ears. Listen as much as you can.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstress
    Is it best to learn theory from the very start or just get use to the feel of the guitar and play off tabs for awhile?

I do not have intentions of joining a band. I'll probably only play alongside the husband when he learns bass.
    Some basic music theory is important at the beginning, so for example if they tell you that the song is in A, you know what an "A" is. I find music theory interesting, at least once I found someone who could explain it to me well. Get familiar with the instrument first and then dive into some theory as you feel comfortable. If you keep asking yourself things like "Why does this work?" it's time to get into more theory.

FWIW, I learned theory from the Metal Method course. Once it finally clicked, it was like a whole new world had opened up to me.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Soulstress,

I've played keyboards, drums, and guitar professionally, and have studied music theory for years when I was young; I even majored in college in music theory for a time.

On your question about theory, I'd say just learn the basics -- what the chords are in a Major Key (they will either be major or minor chords) and slowly over time learn what the relationships of these chords in the key are to each other (e.g., start with: I, IV, V).

While doing this, continue to learn how to play basic chords as well as how to play the Blues Scale. This way, in a short time you should be able to play not only chords with songs but some lead as well.

Stay busy, balanced, and keep trying to get better. Theory has its place in guitar playing, but more importantly is learning the guitar is a lot of work, and all this work is play, and all playing is fun!

Let your ears be your guide and best of luck!
    - slow&alive / quicknthedead

I was taught to think the next week or month or year will only get better than it is today. So I just keep waiting to see how great it will get! --- Stevie Ray Vaughan

Guitars:
    Yamaha FG-180 {1978 Acoustic}, Wechter Pathmaker {Acoustic/Electric}, Fender Stratocaster {DiMarzio- (2) DP188 Pro Track [Neck & Mid], (1) DP182 Fast Track-2 [Bridge]}, Greg Bennett Samick Torino TR1

Pedals:
    Budda Wah...Chicago Iron Octavian+…HumphreyAudio Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer...Danelectro Fish & Chips Equalizer...Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive... Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive…Fulltone Deja MiniVibe...Marshall Regenerator Stereo Modulation… Marshall Echohead Digital Delay... Marshall Relector Reverb...Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor

Amp:
    Fender Super Champ XD, Fender Mustang II, Roland Micro Cube
    Weber 50W Mini Mass Attenuator

Post Thanks / Like

I have been reading music theory since Christmas Day, I hadn't really studied it much till now. I need to understand more about it right now and so , I read a while and practice . I'm trying to teach the old dog something new.

Post Thanks / Like

Theory now or later?

But of course.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm an old guy too... been playing and teaching a long time...

I'd recommend, learning your chords, and playing some songs. Over time, you'll find you need to pick up some theory, as your progress will eventually stall....

Wait for that stall... until then, get the chords down, learn some songs, have some fun....the need for theory will come to you, no need to go to it....
    http://tubeworks.mortality.net - Tube Works / Mosvalve Fan Site

Post Thanks / Like

I just actually picked up guitar after graduating college and getting a real with with all kinds of free time to boot (in the friggin Navy, go figure). I never liked the feeling of playing without know anything about where I was on the fretboard or knowing why anything worked. I picked up a few books, but my favorite is "Fretboard Logic SE" by Bill Edwards. It covers chords shapes, scale shapes and goes into modes and arpeggios in the second half. Basic stuff to start on if you are interested in that sort of content. The scale shapes and such were nice to supplant for a warm-up and the understand of the repeating patterns on the neck have made other aspects of theory make more sense to me since I can picture them.

I can definitely understand the desire to understand what goes on under the hood, so to speak. I have trouble operating without it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have taught theory to literally hundreds of guitarists locally and around the world, and here is my answer.

Learn it later.

For now, just play the guitar, have fun with it, fall in love with it. Don't get tied and caught up in the details for now, just find what turns you on, and do that. If its a song, and you need help with it I'm sure many here would be happy to help you out.

But when you start its all about finding your fit with the instrument, getting basic motor and muscular skills down and learning simple stuff, and theres nothing wrong with that.

In the future when you have grown a little ways on the guitar and its musically relevant to you to learn theory then start at that time, the same I'd suggest for sheet music. Unless its something that you find personally meaningful today, that too can wait a while.

GA

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion basic guitar theory is essential when starting out but just as important is getting comfortable with playing and and getting your fingers moving.

As far as theory goes when starting out, just learn the basics, ie what all the chords are called........so if you someone says play Amin you know what to do.

I teach guitar for beginners and for a newbie it can be at first mindblowing and too much to take in. Start off slow and don't overload yourself with too much info at once or it will end up seeming like an impossible task.

Remember that the best guitar player in the world could be the worse teacher so take it easy. Learn guitar chords, practice playing them but also know what you are playing.

Nothing frustrates me more when i'm teaching and the student has not done any homework, i can say to them after 4 lessons, play an Emaj and they dont know which chord it is but they do know how to play it. Learn the basic theory and progress slowly.

Good luck and keep practising
    Learning the guitar is like gravity...
    all it takes is a little push

learn guitar online <---(need any help)

Post Thanks / Like

The basics for now. More later, should you choose. I was the product of two music teachers and I went on to be a music major in college for six years. Though theory is important for some things, there is no better way to turn off a potential musician than by inundating them with theory that they aren't ready for.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Default do it your self music theory..

any ideas as to a good place/materials to buy to learn music theory on your own..there are a million options out there..but has anyone ever bought anything online...books or courses....or paid for something online to learn that they can recommend to an older beginner?
    "Blessed are the cracked....for they let in the light!"
    Rubber side down baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the music you want to play........but if you like blues, the Blues You Can Use book is great for the start of theory and the subsequent Blues Chords (both my John Ganapes) book fills in with more theory.

Great books, understandable and good, solid teaching.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

What level of music theory do you want to learn?

For a good lesson on the I - IV - V concept, this product is quite good -
    http://b86754p2rh0amb3fxbwx-vd20a.hop.clickbank.net - if you are newbie, you'll learn lots of practical and theoretical concepts from this.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to learn theory on your own, the best, single book I have found for this is this:

Scales and Modes in the Beginning
    by Ron Middlebrook

Link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Scales-Modes-B...4114082&sr=8-1

Long URL, I hope it parses well

$12.00 will give you all you need to know.
    Last edited by Moander; September 10th, 2010 at 05:04 AM.
    http://tubeworks.mortality.net - Tube Works / Mosvalve Fan Site

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Soulstress, how are you doing?

I know it's been a while but I hope we didn't scare you off.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

December will start my 49th year goofing around with guitar. Most folks think I play pretty well, but I couldn't tell you much about what I am playing or why. When it comes to theory I don't know Diddley. Well, Bo of course ~
    Would I like to understand how and why things work musically? Yes, of course I would. And I can only imagine I would be a much more capable and versatile musician if I had that understanding.
    But some things can't be taught. You need to have music in your heart.
    And if you do, it will find a way to get out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelE
    Playing music without knowing at least basic theory is like trying to work algebra problems without knowing the formulas.

That might not be the best analogy, but it's the only one I could think of.

Learn at least the Circle of Fifths and you'll be well on your way. You don;t need to learn composition, but a little understanding of theory will go a long way in why music is written the way it is.
    I like his explanation , actually theory is the first thing that you should know to be able to follow the sounds of the guitar. Better have an online guitar lessons to know more.
    Last edited by psylocke24; September 18th, 2010 at 07:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12