Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theory...now or later

Post Thanks / Like

Default Theory...now or later

Is it best to learn theory from the very start or just get use to the feel of the guitar and play off tabs for awhile?

I do not have intentions of joining a band. I'll probably only play alongside the husband when he learns bass.
    "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift that's why they call it the present. Live in the now. Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's an experience."

Guitar: ST-Special Strat
    Amp: GA-10

Post Thanks / Like

You should definitely learn _basic_ theory.

What are the names of the notes? How many notes in an octave? What is a semitone? What is a tone? How many semitones between C & D? How many between E & F? What does C sharp mean? What does C flat mean?

If you can answer those, you are OK for starters.

IMHO

GaJ

--
    The Guitar Lesson Guide

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Learn theory if you want to. I certainly recommend it, because you will understand better what music really is. It can also help in learning an instrument, and to compose music.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Since you are a beginner, I would learn basic theory. I have gone through your journey over the last 5 years. I started with minimal theory and just worked on getting some dexterity with my fingers. How to hold notes and chords. Practice all the scales. Learn them and be able to name them, then play them. Lean to bend notes and play with your guitar to get different tones. I started with fairly easy tablature, and learned a couple of songs
    Where I had the most fun was buying "recorded version" tablature of some of my favourite blues artists. I would take the corresponding CD put it in my cd player with a remote, and play the passage and learn the tab rewind and try again. Pick a fairly easy song and work your way through it. It will be slow at first then it will slowly get better and better.
    I am now ready for more formal training. I feel comforable with the guitar and have fairly good technique, I just need to move further.
    I found this way of learning much more fun. I see a lot of people get frustrated with lessons and quit.
    A well set up guitar will make things a lot easier as well.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Playing music without knowing at least basic theory is like trying to work algebra problems without knowing the formulas.

That might not be the best analogy, but it's the only one I could think of.

Learn at least the Circle of Fifths and you'll be well on your way. You don;t need to learn composition, but a little understanding of theory will go a long way in why music is written the way it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have looked at the Circle of Fifths dozens of times. I've read explanations on forums. I still just cannot make sense of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Get what I call a 'wiz wheel' with the Circle of Fifths. When you rotate it, it gives you the major chords and their relative minors in that key.

It helps to remember it.

I had theory & comp in college and I understand it, but I can't teach it.

Post Thanks / Like

People seem to think of music theory as this mysterious thing that may help you play better.

Music Theory is really just the explanations of how music works (not just guitar music, but music in general). You might accidentally figure out many of the same concepts that you would learn with some knowledge of theory, but a knowledge of theory will help you get there faster. Think of it kind of like this: If you were a painter you might want to first have some understanding of various colors, shading techniques, etc, and how to use them in ways that work well together. Music Theory is kind of like this. It helps you to make sense of how music is structured (scales, chords, chord progressions, etc) so that you can make sense of it all.

Can you still play great guitar without knowing much about Music Theory? Sure. But learning some theory will help you to have a better understanding of what you're doing. It also helps you to understand what other players are doing. For example, if you take the time to learn music from some of your favorite players, your knowledge of theory can help you to unlock some of structure behind their playing so that you can re-apply the same ideas to your own style. In this way, Music Theory can help you to learn things faster by having a better understanding of how it is all put together. For example, rather than just learning that same old Hendrix lick, you can understand where the lick came from musically (what scale it came from, which chord tones Hendrix was using, etc) , and then re-apply the same concept to something new of your own.

If you write songs, theory can help you to find ways to put together various things (chords, scales, etc) so that they sound good.

So, my advice is "don't be afraid of theory". Learn as much as you can, as you learn guitar. But don't let it stop you from your persuit of guitar playing in general. Just use it as a tool to better understand the music that you make. It can help you in a lot of ways.

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the theory that basic theory knowledge is helpful.
    Beginners and pros can benefit from it.

Having said that........ I am a firm believer that nothing will help you learn guitar more than picking it up and playing it. Period.

You can't be a good cook unless you get in the kitchen and do it.
    All the best recipes in the world won't help until you know your way around the spice rack and stove. What works, what doesn't, and what you do and don't like.

You know you like blues.
    Learn the chords and licks to your favorite songs and play them. Ask all the questions you can and get all the answers you can. But for now pick that thing up and play it. There'll be plenty of time for analyzing it constantly later. Right now you want to make music! Right?

(If you stick with it, you will eventually hit a plateau, and need a push to get going again, but you're not at that stage yet. )

My advice, if you want to learn to play the guitar, is play the guitar all you can, and play what you want to learn, not what everyone else says you should learn.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to add - if you hear someone say something like "you can't play real blues if have learned music theory", tell them to stick something up where the sun don't shine! I've heard such comments over the years, and it's complete rubbish.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely! The more educated guitarists, who really understand theory, have a definite edge, and can usually play most any style quite well.
    The nice thing about guitar, tho, is anyone can enjoy playing if they just work at it.......kinda like the saying.......... just do it!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Many of you are saying the same thing in your own words and I get it. Know the basics and the rest will follow. I'm up for the challenge.
    I'm edjumucated ya know!
    "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift that's why they call it the present. Live in the now. Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's an experience."

Guitar: ST-Special Strat
    Amp: GA-10

pes_laul Guest

When I first started playing guitar I never learned about music theory (or really cared)

But when I started playing in the jazz band, and singing in choir I had to learn some of stuff and now it's really helped me be a better musician because I can relate to other instruments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstress
    Is it best to learn theory from the very start or just get use to the feel of the guitar and play off tabs for awhile?

I do not have intentions of joining a band. I'll probably only play alongside the husband when he learns bass.
    I'd echo what oldguy and Jim said. In my experience, playing the guitar will help you learn guitar. Eventually, you may notice patterns or wonder why something works the way it does -- that's usually the sign that a touch of theory wouldn't kill you.

If you keep guitar playing at the center and pick up what theory you can along the way, that's my recommendation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Make some Noise!!!! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on what oldguy said about picking the guitar up and playing the blues that you love.

Personally, I find it best to DO something and then delve in the "how and why" afterwards.

As to learning theory or the "reasons why"....I highly recommend going to www.justinguitar.com and going through his beginner's lessons and "playing blues lead guitar". Excellent stuff and he doesn't talk over your head either. After you get a good handle on his stuff......then get the initial BLUES YOU CAN USE CD/book and that will be all the theory that you'll ever need for blues playing.

We have lots of players here who are more than willing to help out determined student.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    ... You know you like blues.
    Learn the chords and licks to your favorite songs and play them. Ask all the questions you can and get all the answers you can. But for now pick that thing up and play it. There'll be plenty of time for analyzing it constantly later. Right now you want to make music! Right?

(If you stick with it, you will eventually hit a plateau, and need a push to get going again, but you're not at that stage yet. )

My advice, if you want to learn to play the guitar, is play the guitar all you can, and play what you want to learn, not what everyone else says you should learn.
    It's like you read my mind via the cosmos, og...

Soulstress....when you're just beginning, and want to have fun playing music you'd love to play, if you overthink it instead of just playing the guitar, you'll....

... quit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wingsdad

It's like you read my mind via the cosmos, og...

Soulstress....when you're just beginning, and want to have fun playing music you'd love to play, if you overthink it instead of just playing the guitar, you'll....

... quit.

Yep.
    When I was starting out a friend taught me lots.
    Each jam session we'd sit down, start to play, and he'd interrupt to explain music theory for an hour, then it was time to pack up and go home.
    When I made it clear I wanted to learn riffs I'd heard him play and nothing else, my vocabulary expanded. Later I learned some theory.
    I wanted to play guitar, period. I picked it up every spare minute I could. I practiced what I had learned, and I experimented and came up new stuff on my own. If I'd been taking lessons and trying to memorize things that were boring me to death, I'd more than likely have quit.
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Yep.
    When I was starting out a friend taught me lots.
    Each jam session we'd sit down, start to play, and he'd interrupt to explain music theory for an hour, then it was time to pack up and go home.
    When I made it clear I wanted to learn riffs I'd heard him play and nothing else, my vocabulary expanded. Later I learned some theory.
    I wanted to play guitar, period. I picked it up every spare minute I could. I practiced what I had learned, and I experimented and came up new stuff on my own. If I'd been taking lessons and trying to memorize things that were boring me to death, I'd more than likely have quit.
    Yikes. That hits a little too close to home not to sting a little. I'll take your anecdote under advisement when teaching people in the future.

Funny, because at this point, that theory stuff is all I want to know. It's easy to forget that a lot of people have no interest in it at certain points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast