Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Building my home studio
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building my home studio

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Building my home studio

It's been a long time coming, but I finally have my own recording studio. I hired a local contractor to get it done to a reasonable cost. It is not a professional grade studio, since that would mean a complete sound proofing design (a room within a room), something I can not afford. However, I at least have my own room now, which I will fill with gear of course! I'll use it for music and video production. There will be some noise going through the ceiling to the room upstairs, but I am hoping it won't be that bad.

One thing I need to address is the echoing problem of naked walls. Any recommendations? I read a lot online yesterday, and many recommend making your own sound panels out of fiberglass board. Then there's foam solutions you can glue on the walls, hanging heavy blankets, etc. Any suggestions here?

Photos here - http://picasaweb.google.com/robert.renman/StudioRoom#
    Last edited by Robert; January 6th, 2010 at 08:21 PM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

You could use gobo's or cover the walls with Sonex or hang a few tapistries or rugs. You want to be able to control those reflections.

Also, are the walls parallel where you are building this room? If you can get an off angle on one or more walls it will help with standing waves at certain frequencies. You don't want the room to resonate.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a DJ friend who used egg cartons... but I can't imagine that looks nice without some sort of covering over it... plus you'd have to eat a ton of eggs!
    Guitars: Eko 100 Series Custom, Eko 100 Series Framus, Epiphone Firebird, Epiphone Special II, Yamaha FG-403MS

Pedals: Danelectro Dan-O-Wah, Danelectro Fish & Chips 7 Band EQ, Danelectro PB & J Delay, Danelectro Tuna Melt Tremolo, Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive, Danelectro Black Licorice Beyond Metal

Other Gear: Crafter MA-5 Amp, Korg Kaoss Pad 2

Post Thanks / Like

MichaelE's idea about the non-parallel walls is the way big studios deal with reflections. I don't know if that's possible for you or not. A lot of the companies that sell the studio foam will tell you how to best hang the foam if you send them a diagram of the room it's going in.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

The walls are parallel but the ceiling is not complete flat. There's a box on it that had to be built because of some vent stuff.

I'm thinking about moving blankets. Wonder where I could get some of those here in Alberta?

Audimute seems like a nice inexpensive solution - http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com...f-blanket.aspx
    http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com...bsorption.aspx

the only problem is shipping to me is expensive. 4 sheets for 100 bucks and then shipping is $66.58 and Duties and Taxes $51.30! crazy!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

You could look for some cheap comforters and hang them along the walls. May hang them about 2 inches or so out from the wall. Once you have something to hang it might be best to experiment and try them at different places around the room. After a while you will get a feel for what works best.

Right now I think a cheap way to experiment is best and thick comforters or moving blankets like you say would work well.

IMHO of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Good ideas from everyone. How about a couch and some carpet? Those change the nature of reflecting waves quite a bit.

Each room is going to have it's own issues or sound so you are probably going to have to address that as you discover what the issues are. A few sound foam panels strategically placed can do wonders.

Just remember that this is YOUR room and you can tailor the sound any way you like. It doesn't have to be completely dead. You just have to get to know it and what you can expect from it and what you can change to make it exactly to your liking. It wont take much. Move things around and experiment. An amph might sound better recorded in a different location in the room. Your monitors and desk could benefit from being in the center of the room, or diagonally in a corner. Who knows? Experiment, walk around the room and clap your hands and think about what you are hearing at that moment.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

One other problem is the ceiling. The sound transfers very easily between the kitchen and my room via the ceiling/floor. We put lots in insulation into the ceiling and lots of drywall and no openings, but it's still bugging me. I'm thinking about putting something on the ceiling too, not sure what though. I know it won't make a huge difference now, since the ceiling has been built this way. In retrospect, it would have been a good idea to build the ceiling using a different method with more mass, but then again, more money and the ceiling is already low.

Post Thanks / Like

Spuds right. Getting to know the room and tailoring it to the recording and mixing you'll be doing is half the battle.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will take a trip to the thrift store and see if I can find some used blankets or something. I don't have anything at all to put up on the walls yet, and I can't fit a couch in there either. I need to hang some stuff up. Then, I can get to know the room.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my equipment in my bedroom, just an amp and a couple of pedals.
    When my son got married I moved into his room and set it up as a study. I was able to get 4 amps, a cab and my pedal board, plus a large closet for my guitars. I also have a sofa, chair and wall cabinets for my stereo. My tone changed from one room to the other but I now have very little "echo". Oh yea it is carpeted as well.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to the thrift store at lunch and got 3 blankets for $1.00 each.
    What an investment I'm making into my sound isolation quest... hope it's better than nothing!

Next, I will get some proper lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Try a medical supply for foam egg crate material. If there are none in your area, search online for "egg crate mattress pad". They vary in thickness and come in standard mattress sizes.

A thicker pad can be tacked to the ceiling and is fairly light weight.

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can hang the blankets up on a curtain rod system attached to the wall using metal loops poked through the blanket. This allows you to vary how much the blanket is exposed, for tailoring the dampening effect.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Check out back around the dumpsters of your local hospital. Often they toss a lot of the egg carton foam away. If you find some use plenty of Lysol before bringing it into the house.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Check out back around the dumpsters of your local hospital.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good suggestions. If you don't mind spending a little more you might consider a software solution:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/arc/features/

I actually thought about trying this out myself but I have a self imposed moratorium on new recording software. Of course if you were to try it out and recommend it enthusiastically, I would have a valid reason to lift the moratorium

I have heard some good things about it. Not perfect but worth the money judging by the reviews I've read.

Post Thanks / Like

In my room I'd be covering up with those blankets,it is freezing in my room.My friend Rogie uses tapestries,he say's it helps to bring about the devine essence in spirituality,I say yea or own a franchise in 7-11.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix_p0
    I have a DJ friend who used egg cartons... but I can't imagine that looks nice without some sort of covering over it... plus you'd have to eat a ton of eggs!
    I had an extra room in my house before kid #2 came along. I can honestly say that egg cartons aren't the prettiest thing to look at but they do work. they do take a long time to accumulate too. call your friends, they may think you're crazy but you can get them quicker that way. I cut the tops off and just use the bottom part that holds the eggs, it takes 3 to make 1sq ft. I cut 1x1 pieces of particle board and glue them on. I got the Idea because I've heard that in actual studios (never been in one) they can change the angles of the walls, floors and ceiling. I could change the wall angles by using different holes in the particle board, the ceiling I used blankets, the floor was carpeted and I just used various furniture pieces on the floor. unfortunately everything is stacked up in my garage now until I can figure out another place to put it all up again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast