Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is your wife/husband causing you to play less?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    Not an issue with me. I wear the pants in the family, but my wife picks them out.
    Reminds me of this:
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I had this problem licked before it even started, I never married.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

My wife (love her) isn't the type to sit and cheer me on... but in no way discourages me from practicing / playing / noodling / d*c*i*n* around with the guitar. I'm sure she gets bored with hearing me play the same old crap over and over and over, but that's how I learn... repetition! I probably spend more time monkeying around learning new idea's of my own nonsense over cover material, and will often have guitars placed throughout the house to pick up when the mood strikes. Life is short... do what you love with the ones you love!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    d*c*i*n*
    Internet FAIL for substitute spelling.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Reminds me of this:
    Thanks! I haven't heard "The Man Song" in years. Mrs. Tig will get a kick out of it.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Lady Monkus was in the elite group of the bandmembers gf's at gigs, lol those were the days... after we got married, things changed a little. I think subconciously she was irked at the time spent with music as we had little time anyway. So I got her to sing and we found out that she had a really good voice. Now she doesn't mind and actually is a decent critic. I play, write and record and she sings. She's now one of the soloists in our church choir. She has been assimilated....
    Last edited by Monkus; January 6th, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

My wife occasionally balks at me disappearing for a few hours to play, but nothing too serious... unless we get into an arguement and I try to escape. Then forget about it.

Now our first dog caused me to stop playing for 12 years. Playing any guitar scared him to no end. Just pulling them out would make him run for cover. So I put them away until he passed away. Funny, I didn't think I was that bad.
    -- Joe --
    Guitars:
    Gibson: '08 Longhorn DC HS
    Martin: '09 OM-1
    Ovation: '07 Elite-T 1868T; '95 Celebrity Deluxe CC257; '95 Balladeer 1751 12-string
    Fender: '91 Stratocaster Plus; '69 Mustang Competition; '08 Squier Telecaster CV50
    Other: '77 Bradley Les Paul Custom; '03 Michael Kelly Patriot Q
    Bass: '08 Dean EABC
    Effects:
    MXR Dyna Comp; Dunlop Crybaby; DOD TR3R; Ibanez MT10; Rockman Soloist
    Amps:
    Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr.; Peavey Studio Pro 110; Tascam MP-GT1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auriemma
    Now our first dog caused me to stop playing for 12 years. Playing any guitar scared him to no end. Just pulling them out would make him run for cover. So I put them away until he passed away. Funny, I didn't think I was that bad.
    I'm shocked you did that. I woulda put that dog in his house outside in the backyard
    "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift that's why they call it the present. Live in the now. Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's an experience."

Guitar: ST-Special Strat
    Amp: GA-10

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstress
    I'm shocked you did that. I woulda put that dog in his house outside in the backyard
    Nope. With no children of our own, he was our child. And after all he went through is his life with us (epilepsy, paralysis, cancer, and leukemia over 12 years), I'm OK with it. Visit http://mybeagleworld.com/murphy/ for a partial telling of his story.

Now, my two girls (both beagles) don't mind me playing guitar and will come in and listen or play while I play.
    -- Joe --
    Guitars:
    Gibson: '08 Longhorn DC HS
    Martin: '09 OM-1
    Ovation: '07 Elite-T 1868T; '95 Celebrity Deluxe CC257; '95 Balladeer 1751 12-string
    Fender: '91 Stratocaster Plus; '69 Mustang Competition; '08 Squier Telecaster CV50
    Other: '77 Bradley Les Paul Custom; '03 Michael Kelly Patriot Q
    Bass: '08 Dean EABC
    Effects:
    MXR Dyna Comp; Dunlop Crybaby; DOD TR3R; Ibanez MT10; Rockman Soloist
    Amps:
    Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr.; Peavey Studio Pro 110; Tascam MP-GT1

Post Thanks / Like

Well, my wife is supportive as long as I don't play when she's around. She has a decided dislike for electric guitar music. Once when we were out together, a band was playing Sweet Home Alabama. To my shock, my wife looked at me and said, "you play it better than that guitar player." I never knew she was listening. But other than that, the only times I can recall that my wife has ever said anything positive about my playing is when it's been on an acoustic guitar...and when I was singing even! And I can't sing...

All that being said, my wife has happily bought all kinds of guitar related items for me at Christmas over the years. From effects to pickups, strings to guitar and amp stands, soldering stations to luthier tools. Just this Christmas alone she bought me a Decimator noise gate, a BBE Orange Squash compressor, a General Guitar Gadgets reverb pedal kit, and a BBE Supa Power 9v power supply. She doesn't know a thing about what she's buying for me, but does so knowing how much I enjoy it.

So, I play when I'm home alone (which is fair amount of time), and I have some nice stuff to play through and with.

I can't complain at all...
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

All of your wives have it easy.

I mostly play bass (the sound penetrates everywhere).

In a fairly small house.

With thin walls...

The poor woman, I should bring the acoustic out a bit more.

Post Thanks / Like

My darlin has suffered through my obsession for 33 years, always -- well, usually -- with great tolerance and understanding. She says I'm more complete and easy to live with when I'm playing more and getting out in a band, even though when my son was young I'd be *****y on Sunday mornings, which wasn't good family strategy.
    She's devoted to her job as a top notch non-profit agency executive director, and I've got my music and the job that pays the bills, and we tolerate each others foibles. Lots of practice.
    (I do recall getting carried away with the Mesa, TS9 and wah one evening after a tough day, and her saying later that she was glad the hounds of hell had finally gone to bed.)
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Playing more.

My fiance just bought me a new Fender Blizzard Pearl American Strat which I had a copper and gold snakeskin type pickguard put on before I bought it home in the new style case. Beautiful guitar and beautiful woman.

She encourages me to play a lot and I soothe her to sleep each night by playing; and playing in the dark helps break the eye fixation habit and helps develop the ear.

Just put a down payment on an ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe in gloss black with gold hardware, beautiful guitar I'm ordering in.

I usually play her to sleep with a good guitar and amp, including Squire Classic Vibe 50's and Epiphone SG thru my Crate Palamino V32 2 twelve celestions.

So she is super supportive. I am lucky to have such a supportive woman; she is awesome.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

I solve any domestic problems by doing all my playing at actual band rehearsals or performances. That way, I'm not playing around her, and she doesn't have to hear it.

I rarely bug her to come to shows; only for special occasions at this point.

The only potential problem is that I'm currently in my church praise band plus 4 rock bands, so if we all decide to practice on the same weekend, it can add up. At least for the praise band she can't really complain, since my daughter's in the band as well. And with that band I got the whole "God" angle working for me too.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderfully supportive wife. I am blessed ~

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is very supportive of me cause she knows it's therapy for my well being.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Is your wife/husband causing you to play less?

Nope.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

my wife is hit or miss. one day she tells me I should try and get into another band, the next day I make the 35 minute drive to jam with a bassist I have known for years and she gets upset because I'm gone for 4 hours. I don't get it. most of the time, if theres anyone who keeps me from playing, its the kids. they are 2 and 4 so they are into everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovecheapguitars
    most of the time, if theres anyone who keeps me from playing, its the kids. they are 2 and 4 so they are into everything.
    Yeah, there's nothing like having to pick with a banana or Polly Pocket doll or whatever random thing they run up to you with and demand that you use it to play the guitar.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast