Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is your wife/husband causing you to play less?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is your wife/husband causing you to play less?

Just curious. If you love to play guitar, which I assume you do, is your significant other holding you back somehow? Would you like to play more, but your wife/husband isn't 100% supportive, so you play less instead to avoid conflicts?

Loaded question perhaps, but I admit I would play more if my wife was more positive about it. Perhaps it's my interpretation too. There has to be a balance of course, we can't play guitar every minute of our time being at home.

One reason can be the volume. Us guys like to makes some noize eh!

Perhaps some just don't get why we want to sit and play guitar for hours, when we could be mowing the lawn or fix the leaking tap, etc.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Not any longer. But when I was married it was a drag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My wife doesn't hang out in the room when I practice on my Blackheart LG or Fender SS amp because it's pretty loud, especially the LG because you gotta crank it a bit. I have an acoustic which I will practice in the living room or downstairs so I can still interact with her/ the kids.

I also picked up a Danelectro Honeytone amp, it runs on a 9V battery. It sounds terrible, but it does allow me to walk around the house playing the electric guitar with it clamped on my back pocket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, family life in general, plus my responsibilities from two jobs in winter, limit me some. Not specifically my wife. She would rather see me play than watch tv at night or be on the computer, and she is pretty supportive overall. But my playing has mostly been after the kids are in bed, so I don't get to use much volume, record much, etc. I have been on my acoustic more as a result, or playing relatively quietly and cleanly through my amph. EDIT: The new room that I can close off at night helps. At least I can play loud enough to hear the amph a little. I have to watch it though. EDIT 2: Bottom line, I am a hobby player. If I was trying to really make it in a band, earn a living off of it, or it required a substantially bigger commitment, something else would have to go, like my ski coaching I suppose. That isn't happening anytime soon. I am in a different place than more professional players, and my wife supports my hobby pursuit of music. That my kids are involved and enjoy to play with me, or dance while I play helps too. END EDIT.

My New Year's resolutions include better time management, so maybe I can come up with some other solutions too. But, I just keep it fun, and remember this time of my life is about family.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; January 3rd, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is my biggest supporter. When I want to play she grabs a book and reads while I entertain. Our daughter dances to a lot of my funky loops and she even gets her little friends dancing too. I would never let anyone stand in the way of my playing. It's what I do.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is supportive. She would go to all of my gigs but the summer festival thing has gotten old for her.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is very supportive. She pretty much lets me buy the gear I want. She went to all of my gigs; she's letting me pay for lessons now, and she doesn't mind when I practice - as long as my daily husband chores are done first.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is also very supportive, I don't practice enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Any lack of playing time is purely my doing. Call it a time management thing.

Still, I get in a fair amount, and Mrs. Tig enjoys listening to me (poor woman) when she surfs the interwebs.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is largely ambivalent. Since I'm in the basement, I can't really bother anyone. My main problem is just finding time/desire to practice. The past two weeks have been crazy busy so if I've had time to pick it up and noodle for a bit I've been lucky.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Mrs Keel is very supportive. She encourages me to practice at home, often accompanies me to open mics.

Has only once balked at a guitar purchase. Have to admit it was a bit over the top. Good thing to. A few months later the D60 came into the fold. Might have had to pass if I'd just dropped some big $$..
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

I should add that the good news is that my son and I have been having regular weekly lessons and my wife encourages him to practice. Next week: six string barre chords! Huzzah! After that, we move on to Metal Method's Stage Three and I can begin teaching him that solo. I'm really looking forward to that--and playing rhythm for him.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

My wife doesn't approve of most any hobby I have but she would rather I play than deer hunt. She has many problems with what I do that doesn't spend time with her or make money for her to spend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by street music
    My wife doesn't approve of most any hobby I have but she would rather I play than deer hunt. She has many problems with what I do that doesn't spend time with her or make money for her to spend.

hahahaa. LOVE IT!

For me, I'm the wifey so it's all good here. He has a 20% hearing loss so I'm usually the one yelling about why the TV is hella loud. My only issue is that after I've been playing for four months and then he goes to get his bass guitar to learn I'm gonna have to listen to his damn jingle bells plucking like I did...LMAO.
    "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift that's why they call it the present. Live in the now. Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's an experience."

Guitar: ST-Special Strat
    Amp: GA-10

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by street music
    That's all I used to hear.

Post Thanks / Like

My fiancée is generally pretty supportive, and will even listen to me ramble on about modes or amps or whatever. However, when she's hanging out at my place and I have the looper going, she gets sick of it before I ever really stumble upon anything worthwhile.

I tend to think this would happen for pretty much anyone listening to the same chord progression, so perhaps I just need to get used to headphones...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Not causing me to play less, but certainly less loud. The only way I can crank things up is through headphones or wait til she's out (not often). She's a professional classical violinist and doesn't really like rock which generally offends her aural sensitivities.

I do have some small hope though. She recently awoke from a dream where she was playing the guitar. It seemed like fun in the dream so she wanted to try playing. We messed around with the intro to Laundromat and she kind of got into it. So maybe the key is to get her playing as she doesn't seem to mind the decibels when she's playing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just had a thread a while back about the same...my wife never usually outright says anything much about my musical endeavors, but I can tell she doesn't like me doing it much. She doesn't usually mind if I play some acoustic, but otherwise it's that she does NOT want to listen to my music/bands and such, and she always remembers to pull it into an argument like 'it's just like in 2005 you just HAD to be mixing and releasing an album just when we had a new baby and things were tough' etc. etc.

So yeah, I hardly ever get to do stuff because of that.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Not an issue with me. I wear the pants in the family, but my wife picks them out.

Actually, my wife is very supportive. She has her own interests to keep
    busy and she knows it keeps me out of trouble.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast