Thread: A long time ago in a lounge far far away...

Post Thanks / Like

Default A long time ago in a lounge far far away...

I just finished this one..

Originally I was orchestrating the whole thing with real and vst woods and brass but somewhere in the middle of it all my hard drive told me I only had a few hundred MB's left and to clean up my act..

So I stripped this one down to the essentials and called it mixed and didn't think much of it afterwards.. I certainly hadn't intended on sharing this one in this shape..

However I started getting a lot of feedback on this one and apparently some folks had fun giving it a spin.. I figured maybe someone else may have fun with it too..

Sooo.. here it is.. a bit of a throw back to another time and culture....

Two of a Kind
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8549991

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I've heard anything like that in a guitar forum ever. Even if there was nothing to say other than that, it would deserve praise. The only place where it sound like it could use a little something is at the instrumental outro. It sounds like there should be another verse of vocals. I was planning on having a martini tonight anyway . . . now I feel like I'm in a bona fide gin joint!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I like this a lot. The intro (and maybe the whole song?) seems nicely lo-fi. Your vocals are great -- I can sing a bit, but I don't have the voice to hold out those notes and do it so smoothly. It sounds really good and not strained at all, and I know that's not always an easy thing to do.

When I read the comments, I wasn't sure I'd like it, but it's really cool. Nice work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Always something out of the ordinary from you, 3M (may I call you 3M?) And like usual, it is great. Thanks for sharing.

Just thought I'd mention that I saw Pink Martini on New Year's Eve, which somehow fits right in with this.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a little trouble w/ the drums from 0:15-0:25 for some reason.
    After that it settled in nicely......play it again, Sam!
    Really liked the Martin/Lewis pic you put up, also.
    Nice job, max.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very cool! It certainly has a Jerry Lewis era quality to it. Were the piano notes intentionally just off the beat during that period OG was mentioning? Sounded to me like it might have been intentional. Nice!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I don't think I've heard anything like that in a guitar forum ever. Even if there was nothing to say other than that, it would deserve praise. The only place where it sound like it could use a little something is at the instrumental outro. It sounds like there should be another verse of vocals. I was planning on having a martini tonight anyway . . . now I feel like I'm in a bona fide gin joint!

Hiya Marnold..

Thanks for the thoughts.. indeed the outro needs work... the whole song could use some.. errrrrrr just as soon as I finish this other one I am working on.. *G*

You know how it goes..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I like this a lot. The intro (and maybe the whole song?) seems nicely lo-fi. Your vocals are great -- I can sing a bit, but I don't have the voice to hold out those notes and do it so smoothly. It sounds really good and not strained at all, and I know that's not always an easy thing to do.

When I read the comments, I wasn't sure I'd like it, but it's really cool. Nice work.
    Thanks Eric..

I did the style no real favors.. at best I was trying to mimick phrasings and such and get into that 'groovy' swingy kinda feel.. but still, I enjoyed doing it..
    I love the old swingy jazzy thing...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aeolian
    Always something out of the ordinary from you, 3M (may I call you 3M?) And like usual, it is great. Thanks for sharing.

Just thought I'd mention that I saw Pink Martini on New Year's Eve, which somehow fits right in with this.
    Silly me.. I had to google Pink Martini.. sounds like a good time... I was with an 8 yr old who was trying to figure out how to best work an air horn.. arrrrrgh.

Appreciate your time~!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Had a little trouble w/ the drums from 0:15-0:25 for some reason.
    After that it settled in nicely......play it again, Sam!
    Really liked the Martin/Lewis pic you put up, also.
    Nice job, max.

I'll have to go back and re-visit it.. I'll pay attention to that .. thanks..
    The obvious product of me doing more 'programming' of the drums than 'listening'.. *L* .... I'm a really rotten drum programmer.. I've never been close to satisfied with any home made drums I come up with.... On Soundclick I have 75 songs of wishing I could program my drums better..

---

Appreciate the ear and the time my friend... peace~!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Very cool! It certainly has a Jerry Lewis era quality to it. Were the piano notes intentionally just off the beat during that period OG was mentioning? Sounded to me like it might have been intentional. Nice!
    Heya Sun..

Ya, the piano intentionally rushes the beat, sometimes it lags.. all the hep cats are doin it man.. c'mon.. *G*

Thanks for the ear..

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I had fun giving it a spin. Had me reaching for a beverage at 8:30 a.m.
    (Although slippery elm tea doesn't fit the mood quite so much as a highball. Maybe tonight...
    Thanks!