Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Uh oh! New GAS alert. Telecaster - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Uh oh! New GAS alert. Telecaster

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Makes me wonder, who the heck will be buying Fender teles when the Squier teles are so awesome? Is Fender cutting their own throat with these awesome cheapos?
    Actually, they may be crazy like a fox. Think about it - who are probably buying many of these guitars?:

- guys like me who don't feel we're good enough players to spend big bucks on even a MIM Fender, but we're being coaxed into something costing considerably more than a standard Squier with the CV's;

- guys like some of you who have a number of gits, including perhaps MIMs and American Fenders, who might not see spending big bucks for another of what they already have, but are being enticed to add one of these 'awesome cheapos' to the collection.

- anyone else caught up in the buzz about the CV's who won't be able to resist buying one.

They must be selling like proverbial hotcakes - many shops around here didn't have any on hand, having sold them - I was told that the teles were particularly hard to come by, (and that it had been a big year for Tele sales generally).
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

My guy had two. One lasted about 3 hours. I talked to him at about 1 pm and he said they had just come off the truck. I was there by 4 and bought it.
    They unpacked the other one as I was standing there a guy who had seen me put mine in the gig bag said hey let me see that.
    Probably gone as well. I asked specifically for one and he held it for me. That is about the only way you can get one. Other than the online dealers.
    Having owned 3 of the more recent Squier issues, including the CV50s strat I knew I would be getting a good guitar.
    Once I get it set up to my liking she will be a show stopper for sure.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Having owned 3 of the more recent Squier issues, including the CV50s strat I knew I would be getting a good guitar.
    Once I get it set up to my liking she will be a show stopper for sure.
    Congratulations on the new addition! My next guitar will certainly be of the Strat persuasion, and the CV's fit my needs and budget.

I'm still not sure if I'll go with the 50's or 60's CV Strat. The spec sheets show them to be exactly the same except for the 50's have Alnico 3's and the 60's have Alnico 5's. Any personal experience with comparing the two would be welcome. Anyone? Bueller...?
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No personal experience, but there is a vid online at youtube (there is a thread here somewhere linking it) where a guy has one of each. My ear liked the 60s, and they seem closer in tone to the tex mex pups in my strat. Most folks here did not agree with me and seemed to go with the 50s for that more classic vintage tone.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is that the 50s has everyting you would want in a Strat. Great looks, great feel,and the maple neck and fretboard. The alnico 3s are really amazing pickups. They do sound like my buddies 70s American Strat.
    Mellow yet punchy. I did a comparison with seveal of my strats, Tex Mex, Alnico 5s, SD, and SCNs in a MIA Deluxe, and the CV sounded the best.
    I personally don't like roswood boards on strats, and the tort guard is not my favourite.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and it did happen. I have the proof.

The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Zman sweet axe!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

What's the serial number start with on that Zman? Did you get one after the recall?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes mine is the one without the negative flux capacitor. They were faulty in the first issue.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes mine is the one without the negative flux capacitor. They were faulty in the first issue.
    Good comeback. But seriously, does the neck move much.

Post Thanks / Like

The neck didn't move on mine,even after I beat up the T.V. with it.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

it doesn't move at all, why do you ask?
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

it doesn't move at all, why do you ask?
    No reason in particular. Just something I heard about those guitars already.

Post Thanks / Like

This one was checked over by the tech at the shop. He even changed the strings. If there was any loosness on the neck he would have noticed it.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

This one was checked over by the tech at the shop. He even changed the strings. If there was any loosness on the neck he would have noticed it.
    It's at this point that I go..........got ya!

I'm just insanely jealous so I had to give you a hard time. I know that you are really going to enjoy that guitar.

ps - let me know when you get ready to dump the powder blue Strat.

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of figured that. I was playing the Tele again tonight and I may be able to live with this bridge. I just have to lower the action. I couldn't find an allen key that fit real quick but I will look tomorrow.
    I was playing the Daphne tonight. It has quite a nice set of pickups. That one has 9 D'Addarios, compared tot he 9.5s on the White Pearl.
    Every time I take it out it looks better and better.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

ZMAN - please go away! I think that this tele is pure beauty and...... and I just can't go there!!!!! Who said something about Squier reading their mind? Not that I had pictured this before, but it looks so right to me. Congrats and enjoy!

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    No personal experience, but there is a vid online at youtube (there is a thread here somewhere linking it) where a guy has one of each. My ear liked the 60s, and they seem closer in tone to the tex mex pups in my strat. Most folks here did not agree with me and seemed to go with the 50s for that more classic vintage tone.
    FWIW, out of curiosity, I just measured the pickup heights on my Fully with the GFS Vintage pups (alnico 5) and those on the CV 50's using a metal ruler, and was surprised to note how much more pull the GFS magnets had in comparison - a big difference.

Post Thanks / Like

ok after looking again that its I have to get one of those!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast