Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the hardest song you ever learned to play on guitar?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's the hardest song you ever learned to play on guitar?

What's the hardest song you ever learned to play on guitar?

Hard question, I am not even sure how to answer it myself. Mmm, I'll go with the chord melody guitar in "54 Duncan Terrace", by Allan Holdsworth. I transcribed it by myself, and it took a while before I got all the notes right - some very unusual chords in there. It's not that hard to play it, but it was that hard to figure out the chords.
    Listen here - http://www.last.fm/music/Allan+Holds...Duncan+Terrace

Also, the melody to "Got A Match" (Chick Corea), very hard to execute cleanly and with good timing, due to the speed!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

pes_laul Guest

I don't know about guitar but when our jazz band did "when a man loves a woman" that was the hardest bass line to learn ever with its weird time signature and stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, I guess some of the Christmas tunes I learned using jazz chords, that included a lot of changes. I would also say Sultans of Swing, because the leads are hard, but I did not really learn that part, just the chords, and wanking on the solos.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

For me it was Fernando Sor's Study #19 (Op. 29 No. 13). The Sor studies are each intended to focus on a particular aspect of guitar technique, and number 19 is all about barre chords. It made me realize that I didn't want to be a classical guitarist after all. Actually I still feel kind of psychologically scarred by the whole experience.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mr Brightside by the Killers. Had to learn it for the band and it killed me!! Really awkward fingering and the fact that it's so high up the neck means if you're slightly off with the fingering it'll go sharp/flat really easily.

- Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Everything is hard for me. Right now I'm working on the acoustic rhythm part of Fade to Black by Metallica.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I still feel kind of psychologically scarred by the whole experience.
    I know exactly how you feel,

Everything is hard for me. Right now I'm working on the acoustic rhythm part of Fade to Black by Metallica.
    Commodore64...
    You can get backing tracks for fade to black here, really helps with the timing.
    This one has the rhythm track on it, I'll see if i can upload the one without.

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/pl...e_to_black.htm

Some Tutorials here...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1HUsSIsLA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXuQr...eature=related

Stick with it !!!!
    Last edited by Monkus; January 11th, 2010 at 11:11 AM.
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Uh, I'm not sure I know too many hard songs on the guitar. Maybe Stickshifts & Safetybelts by Cake, but I'm still not flawless on that one. Every Breath You Take and Message in a Bottle are annoying for me to play up to speed because of Andy Summers' 5-fret stretches.

I tried to learn Stash by Phish at one point but got frustrated. Maybe I should go back and try that one again.

I find that I like wanking around with my own parts more than I like learning solos and songs by other people, but I think it might be something good to go back and try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monkus
    Commodore64...
    You can get backing tracks for fade to black here, really helps with the timing.
    This one has the rhythm track on it, I'll see if i can upload the one without.

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/pl...e_to_black.htm

Some Tutorials here...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1HUsSIsLA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXuQr...eature=related

Stick with it !!!!
    Monkus, right after I posted that, I figured out that it was mostly arpeggio type picking of a Am, C, G, Em chord progression, and that helped a lot. I also use tux guitar for linux, so I can hear the general timing, although the midi kinda blows.

My goal is to lay down a backing track of my own, on my Boss RC-20 looper, so I can then start working on some of the other guitar parts. I'm really, REALLY weak on palm muting and metal rhythms (chugging, etc).

Also, thanks for those links!

Post Thanks / Like

Dokken's "In My Dreams"--although technically I still don't have that lightning-fast run at the end of the solo conquered.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

"Blackbird" The fingerpicking is a bit of a challenge, but the real hard part for me is singing and playing the tune. The tune is right at the top end of my vocal range. "The dead of night" line is the killer. Trying to stay on pitch, the tricky vocal phrasing and the fussy finger parts have always been tough for me.

Never had the guts to play it out. Strictly a "in the house" tune.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the hardest for me was Queensryche's Silent Lucidity or the fast run at the end of "more than words" by extreme, but the most satisfying after getting it down was John Mayer's Why Georgia...

Evenkeel:
    The tune is right at the top end of my vocal range.
    I find that tuning down one of my guitars to Eb (half step) works. It takes a bit of getting used to hearing the song a bit lower, but I've found that the audience doesn't care what the guitar is tuned in...lol once you sorta stay in key...
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Joe Pass' version of Satin Doll.
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by evenkeel
    "Blackbird" The fingerpicking is a bit of a challenge, but the real hard part for me is singing and playing the tune. The tune is right at the top end of my vocal range. "The dead of night" line is the killer. Trying to stay on pitch, the tricky vocal phrasing and the fussy finger parts have always been tough for me.

Never had the guts to play it out. Strictly a "in the house" tune.
    Have you ever thought of going into a falsetto for that part?

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

The next one.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Not the most difficult, but likely the hardest tune to learn was the first... 'Mary had a little lamb'.

Folks, think back to the first time you held this foreign instrument in your hands and struggled to pluck anything that even resembled something that was recognizable by anyone who was brave enough to listen to your new found passion. Regardless of where you are at the moment musically, you've all come a long way from that first moment, but realize you've got a long way to go on this musical journey... enjoy the ride!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Probably Rush-YYZ (including the solo sections)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

cant say...I don't really want to learn other peoples songs...to me it seems like waste of time I could use for making my own songs instead. Neither I want to play too many cover ssongs on gigs its good to hear a good cover band but I don't wnna do that so much myself.A it just feels ...i feel like apologizing all the time...i dunno. might as well copy picasso paintings nd show those around. a guy playing even a bad orig. tune gets twice ghe resp. from me also live.

edit.not meaning to dis learning, playing songs...i think as a finn i always say what i think and wonder later it could hurf someones feelings or is out of pla
    ce..or something...plus writing mobile its direct.s sorry for ot. noticed in the us that .eing too dire t and honest gets rep of an a.hole but no ill zpirit here just my 2c sorry
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I am only 1 year into this guitar playing thing so everything I learn is hard at 1st because I still suck. LOL
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast