Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The Strat gets Brutalized (new Jim Root model)

Thread: The Strat gets Brutalized (new Jim Root model)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default The Strat gets Brutalized (new Jim Root model)

From NAMM

Fender Jim Root Stratocaster

Crushing Rock Tones from a Mahogany-bodied Strat!
    Built for tones that are so huge they have their own time zones, the Jim Root Stratocaster® has everything you need to be a rock master! The body is mahogany, offering up tones that are decidedly thicker than a traditional Strat®. Couple that tonal girth with the combination of EMG 81 and EMG 60 pickups and you have a stunning display of hard rock power that will rattle the rafters! For effortless trips up and down the neck, the Jim Root Strat® boasts a compound radius neck with either a maple fingerboard (on the Flat White finish) or a rosewood fingerboard (Flat Black finish).

Fender Jim Root Stratocaster Solidbody Electric Guitar Features:
    • Body: Mahogany
    • Finish: Black Satin Nitrocellulose Lacquer
    • Neck: Maple, Modern "C" Shape
    • Fingerboard: Ebony
    • 12-16" Compound Radius
    • Frets: 22, Jumbo
    • Scale length: 25.50"
    • Nut Width: 1.65"
    • Hardware: Black
    • Tuning Keys: Black FENDER® Deluxe Cast/Sealed Locking Tuning Machines
    • Bridge: Black 6-Saddle Strings-Through-Body Hardtail Bridge
    • Pickguard: 3-Ply White
    • Pickups: Neck: 1 EMG 60. Bridge: 1 EMG 81
    • Pickup Switching: 3 Way Blade
    • Controls: Master Volume
    • Case: Includes Black Tweed Case
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a fairly stripped down version. Wonder what they'll sell for?

The marketing hype's a bit over the top, IMHO.

"the Jim Root Stratocaster® has everything you need to be a rock master"..... so, no practice needed, right?

"Built for tones that are so huge they have their own time zones"......uh, OK.

I guess after the aborted Gibson Hendrix Strat clone it's only fair for Fender to market a mahogany-bodied twin humbucker 3-way switch equipped guitar w/ a 12-16" compound radius fretboard, though.
    Not sure how it'll sell w/o position markers.......some people like 'em.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

pes_laul Guest

They used to have a jim root model tele which was just the same thing (pickups, pickup configuration, etc) Not sure if they still have it. Not really my thing

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like an odd cross between a Strat and a Jackson Soloist.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    They used to have a jim root model tele which was just the same thing (pickups, pickup configuration, etc) Not sure if they still have it. Not really my thing
    I think they still make the Jim Root Tele with a street price of $1200 US.
    Sweetwater has the JR Strat at $1499.00 US.
    Neither give me GAS.

My guess is that Fender is trying to pull in some of the brutal metal kid's business with Jim Root's name and EMG active pickups, since they see Fender and Gibson as old guy/classic rock guitars. ESP, Jackson and Ibanez have taken a good chunk of the young guitar player business.

Fender might do better with a 7-string version of an EMG Strat.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    I think they still make the Jim Root Tele with a street price of $1200 US.
    Sweetwater has the JR Strat at $1499.00 US.
    Neither give me GAS.

My guess is that Fender is trying to pull in some of the brutal metal kid's business with Jim Root's name and EMG active pickups, since they see Fender and Gibson as old guy/classic rock guitars. ESP, Jackson and Ibanez have taken a good chunk of the young guitar player business.

Fender might do better with a 7-string version of an EMG Strat.
    I actually like the looks of the black one. If it had a locking trem and wasn't so pricey I would go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    I actually like the looks of the black one. If it had a locking trem and wasn't so pricey I would go for it.
    Sounds like a Jackson Dinky might be up your street.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Sounds like a Jackson Dinky might be up your street.
    Nah after my Ibanez I plan to not by a "shredder" type guitar for a while.