Thread: American Strat Newb questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default American Strat Newb questions

I've been babysitting a neighbors American Strat for quite a while, but since I don't want to leave the house with it, I focus on playing my own guitars(LP clone and 335 clone, both dual hb gits).

Recently I pulled it out to put an amp I got through it's paces, and found I loved the sounds I can get with it, and the comfort of the body.

I know nothing about the guitar...pickups, knobs etc.

Here's what I know:
    USA made '97
    3 unmarked single coils (not lace sensors)
    5 position selector
    1 volume, 2 tone
    Rosewood fretboard
    Standard Trem bridge.

I may make a pitch to buy it, but Don't know what I've got here, really. Seems like a fine guitar, hardly touched, still has plastic around the screws on the pickguard. The lowest tone knobs spins uselessly, but its simply a stripped knob, removing it, the pot works fine.

How do you you utilize the two tone knobs?

A quick overview would be great!

Post Thanks / Like

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a
    pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW--What a ride!!!"
    -Stuart Wilde-

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend
    to view every problem as a nail."
    -Maslow-

"Religion is sitting in a church thinking about fishing.
    Spirituality is fishing and thinking about God."
    -Unknown-

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, dauntless, that is very straightforward.

On a American made from '97, were there many variations of a "standard" strat?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo
    Cool, dauntless, that is very straightforward.

On a American made from '97, were there many variations of a "standard" strat?
    There were a few variants but if it's a "standard" colour with a plain 3-ply white guard and a two point trem' it's most likely a US Standard. Most strats of that vintage are wired so that the front tone control operates on the neck pickup and the back tone affects both middle and bridge. The back tone might even be a Fender TBX control with a notch in the middle of its travel, Fender were quite fond of fitting those even though they didn't work very well with passive electronics.

A set of oem Fender knobs will only cost a few dollars from your local music shop, they might even sell you just one if they do repairs.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a piece of plumbers teflon tape and wrap it around the pot. Then slide the stripped knob on. Make sure you have it oriented properly. No need for a new knob with that tape. It won't do any harm either. Just be careful not to snap the pot.
    That will be a very nice guitar. What color is it? The pickups are probably standard alnico pickups. Is it a rosewood or maple fretboard?
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.

The guitar is Yellow with white three ply guard and the two point trem, and a rosewood board.

I had played it a bit through my cube30X a while back when I first got a hold of it, but the sound didn't grab me. Running it through my tube amp recently was a completely different experience.

So, the consensus is a US Standard...

I'm liking it quite a bit, different feel than the short scale gits I'm use too, and a lot more tonal variety than expected. Guess there's a reason it's so popular

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love my strat, though it is Central American instead of American. It is my number one for sure. I hope you can get it. Sounds nice!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

so as a '97 standard, what wood is the body made from?

SVL, I'm a firm believer that you can get a well made git offshore.

Strat #1? I'd think your Viking would have to be up there. That's a beautiful axe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You are right, the Vik is a beut. Well, my strat is for sure my number one single coil, and the Vik is my number one humbucker rig. But then, I only have one of each. But my strat was my first guitar love, so . . .

It's nice to have them both.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson