Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strat sheilding

Post Thanks / Like

Default strat sheilding

anyone ever use one of these metal pickguard underlays to shield their guitar?

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Calla...tern_P1232.cfm

It seems if i stand at just the right angle most of the hum goes away, I am trying to eradicate that. This looks easier than tin foil taping my entire pick guard and then the body cavity. Thoughts or better ideas welcome...

Post Thanks / Like

Never tried it.

I use conductive copper (comes in a roll, like masking tape). Easy to cut & apply, I do the control & pup cavities, and the underside of the pickguard directly above those cavities. Works great & saves $$$
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Yep they work great, quiets down a strat nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

I use copper sheet material that I pick up at Michael's Crafts. It comes in two thicknesses. I use the heavier one, glue it to the back of the pickguard with 3M spray adhesive, and then cut out the openings/screw holes with an exacto knife. I then use conductive adhesive copper tape in the cavity or CuPro-Cote copper shielding paint.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Where can I get the CuPro-Cote paint Bloozcat?

Thanks for the great ideas guys!
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Amp: Marshall TSL100 amp head with JCM900 1960 Lead 4 X 12 angled cab

Effects: Crybaby, TS10 Tube Screamer, Badder Bad Monkey, Boss Metal Zone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by navvid
    Where can I get the CuPro-Cote paint Bloozcat?

Thanks for the great ideas guys!
    Get it here:
    http://www.lessemf.com/paint.html

It seems expensive at $29.95 per 4-oz., but that will do about 4-guitars.

A word to the wise: If you get it, make sure that you take what you need from the can and close it up tightly right away. Once the paint dries out, you can't re-constitute it to use again.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried aluminum tape to cure the static pops from my Tele, didn't help my situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Blooz - Do you find it works better than the copper tape? Worse?
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bloozcat, I went to Michaels today and they did not have the copper sheet. When was it you last got them there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    I tried aluminum tape to cure the static pops from my Tele, didn't help my situation.
    I've heard about people putting dryer sheets behind their pickguards to take care of that staticy thing. They say it works great.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Marnold, thanks, I've tried rubbing it down but haven't shoved one in there yet, I'll try that.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll remember this for when I shield this strat I'm building,but I thought I'd throw this in also for the people who live in area's with mosquito's I have found if you use a febreze dryer sheet stick in under your hat in your pocket,I tuck on in the neck of my shirt with it hanging out,it keeps those buggers at bay without spraying that nasty deet stuff all the time,that leaves you slick and greasy,also I put them in and around my tent.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bloozcat, I went to Michaels today and they did not have the copper sheet. When was it you last got them there?
    I was afraid of that....

I was in an out of town Michaels about two weeks ago and they didn't have any there. Since I had bought the copper sheet at my local Michaels before, I thought it was probably just that out of town store. Now you're saying they don't have any at your Michaels. I'd better check the local store this week...

The resistance test on two coats of the CuPro-Cote tests about as good as the copper tape. It's certainly easier to apply as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Blooz - I found a local sheet metal supplier that has copper sheet in 0.005" thickness, but I was afraid it would be too thick. Do you know how thick the sheets you got at Michaels were? Maybe have a piece left you can take a caliper to?

Post Thanks / Like

navvid, I think I am going to suck it up and order the thin shield pre shaped. less time taping / spraying. more time playing, and easily removable if needed... I will measure it with my micrometer and let you know what thickness it is when it arrives. :-) I'll probably tape the PUP cavities if i still need more shielding here...

Post Thanks / Like

Blooz - I found a local sheet metal supplier that has copper sheet in 0.005" thickness, but I was afraid it would be too thick. Do you know how thick the sheets you got at Michaels were? Maybe have a piece left you can take a caliper to?
    I'll have to check it at home tonight...if I can remember!

I found a place on line to buy it more economically. Now, if only I can find that note....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    I'll remember this for when I shield this strat I'm building,but I thought I'd throw this in also for the people who live in area's with mosquito's I have found if you use a febreze dryer sheet stick in under your hat in your pocket,I tuck on in the neck of my shirt with it hanging out,it keeps those buggers at bay without spraying that nasty deet stuff all the time,that leaves you slick and greasy,also I put them in and around my tent.Sumi
    Seriously? I will definitely try that the next time I go camping, though knowing you, I might be setting myself up for a big joke...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Hey brother I get my stuff from Monte!! Awesome quality stuff and a really great guy!!!!

http://www.monteallums.com/index.html
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Seriously? I will definitely try that the next time I go camping, though knowing you, I might be setting myself up for a big joke...
    Honest no joke! In the summer I race cars up at the ski areas here and those buggers are terriable,I heard about this and gave it a try,I still get a few bites but I'm not all greasy and I'd rather smell like fabrese than deet,I even had to spray that stuff on my hair,now I just put one of those sheets on the neck of my shirt.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast