Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looper pedals?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Someone...hummm.

They record what ever you input into them between the first pedal activation and the second activation. ie. Stomp the first time - starts record, stomp the second time - stops record. Then the pedal will most likely figure out the meter (beats per minute) and adjust the length of the recorded part to fit accordingly.

Next - while the first phrase is playing you can then 'overdub' another part on top of the first one. Then-you can overdub another on top of those two etc. etc.

Each subsequent phrase is captured the same way as the first. What ever is played between the two pedal stomps is what gets recorded.

The other thing they do is help you to play better, be more creative and have fun. Oh, while your phrases are playing you can set your guitar down and go get a cup of coffee, beer, or tea and pick up where you left off when you come back. The pedal won't erase your looped masterpiece until you either turn it off or change to another patch position. You can still 'save' the piece into the unit's memory for later recall.

Does that help.
    Spudman - Yes that does help. Can I loop an entire 12 bar blues progression and store that? If so then I think you might be able to talk me into it for certain.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Get one Tone, I am getting one too! I think I'll get the RC-20XL. Seems to do the job well. I think I can have a lot of fun with that thing when I'm doing guitar video stuff...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Rob - I'm thinking of it. I'd just like to be able to store one entire blues progression kinda like a song that never ends with the I, IV and V. Even if I can "sample" the progression that would be cool to jam along with for fun and practice. Doesn't the boss pedal model have drum samples that you can use too and play along with within the loop? If I can do 12 bar with it with drums I want one.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I think the RC-2 have drum patterns, the RC-20XL don't. Both have 16 minutes of recording time, should be enough for a blues, eh?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

You can do 12 bar, 16 bar, 32 bar, Swede's bar, whatever you want WITH drums. They are on the CD that comes with the RC20 XL. You just load them in.

Plus...start the looper with backing drums playing - record a blues bass pattern - stick a rhythm guitar on top of it - at bar 8 add a 6 note lead phrase - when bar 8 returns add a harmony to the 6 note lead. Let play and jam on!

PS. If you get a used one without the CD PM me.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, this is sounding GOOOOOD. For someone like me who plays by himself, that would be fantastic!

You guys are not good for my wallet.
    Leonidas' Gear List:
    Electric Guitars - Agile AL-2800 (S.D. '59 B, Pearly Gates N), Squier Telecaster Custom (GFS FAT PAFs + Mods)
    Acoustic Guitars - Crafter ML-Rose, Epiphone PR-350CE
    Amps - VOX AD50VT, Epiphone Valve Jr. (Modded), Fender Blues Jr
    Pedals - Crybaby Classic w/ Fasel Inductor, Boss DS-1, Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ, Ibanez AW7

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas
    Damn, this is sounding GOOOOOD. For someone like me who plays by himself, that would be fantastic!

You guys are not good for my wallet.
    Dude. Join the club. We aren't even good for argh own wallets. It's a buyarghs club not a forum.

For me going without the loopargh now would drive me nuts. I'd probably end up in anothargh band or something. It really takes the edge off of not having othargh musicians around to play with when you want.

What happens when I'm playing it when everyone is home is that I'll get a good loop going and I'll be riffing along to it with my head down, and then I'll look up and the girls are dancing to it. No smoke, no drunks and no seedy bar owner, just my very own groupies with their groove on. Kinda nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is it a good idea to put drums through a guitar amp? I have a Zoom G2 thing that has a drum machine but I never switch it on coz I'm scared a booming bass drum may be a bit much for my amp - might be ok on a transistor amp but I'm not too sure about tubes.

Any idea's or am I just being over cautious?

I got into looper pedals quite a while back (before the boss models were available, I think). I have an Akai Headrush pedal which gives me 28 seconds -which is soooo annoying coz it's just too damn short - I end up playing everything really fast to fit into the 28 seconds. 16 minutes sounds great - I may have too upgrade!!
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Each subsequent phrase is captured the same way as the first. What ever is played between the two pedal stomps is what gets recorded.
    The Boss loopers have an undo function where you can remove one of the layers. I think you can also put it back in later if you change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Get one Tone, I am getting one too! I think I'll get the RC-20XL. Seems to do the job well. I think I can have a lot of fun with that thing when I'm doing guitar video stuff...
    So why'd you choose the RC20XL over the Jam Man Robert?
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; September 22nd, 2006 at 06:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

found an interesting rc-20 demo on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_tXI4GyFZw
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Tot, I don't really know which one would be better. Either or should be fine. The Boss has a reverse mode, might be cool. The Boss seems to go for less on eBay.

Post Thanks / Like

......What happens when I'm playing it when everyone is home is that I'll get a good loop going and I'll be riffing along to it with my head down, and then I'll look up and the girls are dancing to it. No smoke, no drunks and no seedy bar owner, just my very own groupies with their groove on. Kinda nice.
    Dang I'd be a god at our little porch jam sessions we do every so often. I'm gettin' one!

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to pm you Spud about a question I have but I figured to put it here so that other's may draw from your well spring of knowledge Master Spud.

EDITED: I apologize for bringing this up again after reading previous posts about it. RTFM eh! Anyway I will still leave my post up because I would like to address the bass guitar issue while using the looper......

Question: Well lemme say it this way. Using a loop pedal...do you run the loop pedal in line with your guitar as you would a regular effects pedal...into the same amp? If this is the case then how would the drum loops come out on the same amp if you happen to have a looper that incorporates drum loops? I guess my question is, wouldn't you have to run the amp clean?

With this in mind...what about looping bass guitar parts using the same clean guitar amp? Would that be too much for one amp to handle? What about recording guitar parts that are overdriven? I suppose you'd have to use an OD pedal for those parts right? All run through the same amp? Ideally I guess it would be better to run everything through a PA? Have I asked more than one question? haha

Ok your turn.
    Last edited by tone2thebone; September 21st, 2006 at 09:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeepers. Just go get one. Ha ha.

Yes you play all that through your amp. Now AMP can be whatever amplifies your sound so it's up to you. I've seen acoustic players using small PA heads and speakers to do it, and I've also seen videos of electric players doing what I do and that is playing it all through my guitar amp.

You may notice on the video links in this thread that nobody is playing loudly. No reason to. There is plenty of sound once you get a bunch of loops going. Check out the Boss web site for demos videos. Also, when players use a looper in a band situation, ala Trey Anastasio, there are no bass or drums being looped.

Since it seems like you still have questions I suggest that you go to a music store, get a guitar, a bass, a Loop Station, and a distortion box, set them beside you and go to work. See what you think. It's not that complicated.

Looping all these instruments is a great lesson in mixing. You have to play the instrument being looped at the level that you want it in the mix. There is no playing then grabbing a fader to change that instrument level. This is a really helpful lesson on learning to play in a band as well. You have to learn to blend.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeepers. Just go get one. Ha ha.

I will in November! GC says they're coming out then. I like buying locally. Meanwhile I picked up a Hot Head Distortion pedal to try out...figured it would give me more leeway than the Bad Monkey in the loop scenario in case I want more edge.

I understand about levels. Good point you made. I'm really interested in experimenting with the bass using the pedal and then layering some guitars over that with some drum in the background. We'll see. Hey why don't you do us a sample Spud so we can hear for ourselves. I'd like to see one of us around here do one.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, when players use a looper in a band situation, ala Trey Anastasio, there are no bass or drums being looped.
    I never expected Spudz to mention Trey!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I never expected Spudz to mention Trey!
    Sorry. It won't happen again. NOT. The guy is an amazingly good guitarist. Too bad his songwriting skill didn't survive past Phish.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. It won't happen again. NOT. The guy is an amazingly good guitarist.
    I am in complete agreement!

Post Thanks / Like

There are plenty of Phish bootleg recordings around the web and their official recordings too usually have Trey doing some looping. He is a good artist to check out to see how to use a looper live. I believe he uses a Boomerang looper.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast